Hughesnet Community

How can I access the setup for my HT1100 gateway? I'd like to be able to change the DNS server to try and increase my download speeds.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pentangle
Sophomore

How can I access the setup for my HT1100 gateway? I'd like to be able to change the DNS server to try and increase my download speeds.

I'd like to be able to change the DNS server used to one located by namebench to try to get my download speeds up to something reasonable, and also try to get some consistentency in the speed. Currently I see variances from 500 kbps to 25+ mbps, no real pattern to the issue.
3 REPLIES 3
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Only thing changing DNS (Domain Name Server) server will do is change site lookup speed, not download speed.

You change the DNS servers in either the router if you have one, or the network adapter card in the computer if no router. There are no settings you can change in the Hughes modem.

Large speed swings are pretty normal on satellite and dependent on time of day. The real concern is when speed stays very low for a long time like days. Also download speed is dependent on the download server which may have a maximum setting.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Hi Pentangle,

I hope Corrosive and BirdDog's answer was to address your concerns. A quick google search of your router model and how to change it's DNS settings should get you what you need. If you have anymore questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
Chris