Hughesnet Community

How can I get a Roku to use 5g instead of 2g?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karenray2617
New Poster

How can I get a Roku to use 5g instead of 2g?

How can I get my Roku to use 5g instead of 2g. It can be SO slow.

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If the modem Roku you have can't detect the 5GHz band, you can't make it. Try posting your question here: https://community.roku.com/

karenray2617 wrote:

How can I get my Roku to use 5g instead of 2g. It can be SO slow.

GabeU

@karenray2617 

I believe what maratsade meant was that if the Roku can't detect the 5GHz band, you can't make it do so.  Depending on the model, it may only be able to utilize the 2.4GHz band.  

With this said, it may not be that 5GHz WiFi would make that much of a difference for streaming, as today's streaming doesn't normally reach the types of speeds where you'd see any real advantage over 2.4GHz, or at least not with HughesNet's Gen5 service speeds.  If service speeds were considerably higher and you were streaming on multiple devices at the same time, you'd then likely see the advantage of 5GHz WiFi.  

It wouldn't hurt to check the WiFi signal strength at the location of the Roku.  You can use the HughesNet mobile app, which has a built in WiFi signal strength tester, to do so.  I don't have the iPhone version, but in the Android version it's the middle icon that shows when you tap the orange plus sign on the lower right of the mobile app.  When testing, make sure that the mobile device is utilizing the same WiFi band (2.4GHz) as the Roku, and hold the phone right next to the Roku to get the best estimation of the signal strength.  If it shows as good, chances are the problem is not the WiFi.  You can get the HughesNet Mobile app at Google Play and the App Store for Android and Apple devices, respectively.

A couple of things you can try that may help to improve the streaming are lowering the resolution of the stream at either the Roku or the source and/or turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  

With all of this said, right now streaming can be a bit touchy with HughesNet due to higher than normal congestion as a result of so many more people being online.  The congestion, coupled with the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet, can cause issues with streaming, and the more prominent the congestion, the worse is can be.  This is even if your overall service speed is showing as adequate for streaming, unfortunately.  Still, you can check your service speed by running a few of the speed tests outlined here to ensure that service speed itself isn't the problem.  

Also, just in case, it'd be a good idea to ensure that you are not out of data and throttled as a result.  You can check at the System Control Center, with the HughesNet Mobile App, by signing into the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on Usage, or by clicking on "My Usage" at the top right of this Community page.  

Lastly, if your HughesNet modem has been on for a number of days, it may help to power cycle the modem.  This can sometimes help in the same way as restarting a computer, including with speed.  To do so, unplug the HughesNet modem at either the wall outlet of the power pack, wait for at least 60 seconds, then plug it back in.  Then wait for at least five minutes, which gives the modem time to be fully back up and ready, and then try your activity again.  There's no guarantee that this will help, but it can clean out the digital cobwebs, so to speak.

maratsade

"I believe what maratsade meant was that if the Roku can't detect the 5GHz band, you can't make it do so.  Depending on the model, it may only be able to utilize the 2.4GHz band. "

Yep. I meant to type Roku.  Facepalm.

fp.jpg