Hughesnet Community

How can I get the asthmith heading for my dish?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kilroydriver

How can I get the asthmith heading for my dish?

How can I get the asthmith heading for my dish? The wind moved the dish and I have no Signal.
Only lights I can get are the power light and the LED signal from the router.
On 1/12/17 we have a sever thunderstorm with high winds blow thru the area. I think the dish was moved by the wind that came through here like a freight train.
After 2 hours on the phone 2 nights in a row they are telling me that there is no signal from the dish to the satalite. I asked for the compass heading to re-point the dish and I am getting the runaround on that question. All I need is to have the dish realigned and the system quickly checked out. 
 I have to wait 4 days for a tech to come out and realign my dish???????
47 REPLIES 47
kilroydriver

the pole moves now because of the rain we got over the last 3 days
that is how I determined that the sighting was off.
gokartergo24
Tutor

Sounds like you are going to need a new pole mount..
kilroydriver

That is what I am thinking. I grabbed the pole and was able to twist it about 10 degrees. I need to find the right sighting then tamp down the ground around the pole to tighten it up.
gokartergo24
Tutor

That'll at least get by until the tech comes out. If you are still having trouble tomorrow afternoon. We will figure out a way to call or text each other to get you going..
kilroydriver

appreciate that.  Let you know how it goes tomorrow. that will be after 5:30 EST my time.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

kilroydriver,

Please be advised that proper pointing must be performed by a Hughesnet Technician...  It may take awhile to get one out there, but I would imagine that on Monday, Amanda, or Liz wouldn't mind scheduling a technician to check your system with out a service fee if you haven't had a free visit any time recently...
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

If you're intent on doing this, for now don't futz with the elevation. It's most likely OK. Just the azimuth. I'm assuming you have a compass?

Go here: http://www.dishpointer.com/ and select 107.1W ECHOSTAR 17 from the ALL Satellites list.

Then put in your physical address for your location. and click the GO! button. You'll get your Magnetic azimuth setting for your location. You can even use the resulting green line as a sight line to identify a tree or other object on the ground to get you close to the right direction.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
lmiller002

I found this on Google.  It gives you instructions and an App you download to a Laptop and get the dish settings, then use it to connect to the Hughes modem, and it gives the signal strength as you adjust the dish.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-aim-a-hughesnet-satellite-dish-the-easiest-way

Also, I have my Hughes and DTV Slimline dishes next to each other on the roof, and the both appear to be pointing in the same direction, looking from the ground. Dishpointer.com, in the reply above, will give you the correct azmith also.  Good luck.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Hmmm... I've used PC OPI years ago with older HN7000s but not sure that app will work with HT1100s. I'll try to confirm this at our office later.

Easier I think to use a smart phone or tablet with a wireless router.
kilroydriver

Took me 20 minutes moving the dish every 1/8 of an inch then waiting for 30 seconds to see if there was a change on the receiving signal strength. went from 15 to 35 to the level I am at now.... I am getting a Satellite Receive Signal Strength of 126. Best number I can get out there. 
Tamped down the ground around the pole to try and lock it in a little better. 

Now showing 126 steady and State Code is back to 0.0.0

Thanks everyone for the ideas and information to get me back up and running.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, not really recommended for most people to try but good job!
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Congratulations! A 126 signal is pretty good in most areas.

Likely the post was never pinned at the bottom to prevent turning in the concrete, or there wasn't enough concrete poured to prevent it from turning in the dirt.

If you're inclined, you may be able to stabilize that pole by cleaning the dirt from on top of and around the old concrete at the base of the pole, drilling a hole through through the post an inch or two above the old concrete and inserting a bolt through the hole (this prevents turning), and then pouring 4 sacks of readi-mix concrete (about 2.5 square feet) into a 2' X 2' X 6" square wooden form surrounding the concrete and the base of the pole. This will lock the pole into the new concrete. Make sure you protect the cable and crown the wet concrete so that it sheds water away from the pole.

NOTE: If you're in an area prone to frost heave, then you should build the form narrower and higher so a heavy frost underneath the new concrete won't lift the whole mess out of the ground.

This will take some work and you may want to wait for the tech to come out.
kilroydriver

I was assisting the installer at the time and I don't remember pinning the pole before he dumped in the quick set. He dug the round hole with a post hole digger and dropped in the pole. I am thinking about carefully digging around the pole to the concrete and pouring a square block on the top of the old concrete to prevent any movement. I understand what you are talking about. I will make sure to pin the pole into that to double block things from moving. Problem we had was the wind in that thunderstorm was gusts of 40 - 50 mph.
My experience in amateur radio communications and installing my own push up poles really helps me understand the need for proper installation.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

You'll do fine 🙂
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

126?  Nice job. 
gokartergo24
Tutor

Glad you got it. Let the installer fix the pole for you.. Then repoint it.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
kilroydriver

Someone was suppose to call yesterday and set up a date to have the installer to come out but my phone didn't ring all day.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Saturday = unlikely.
GW
Advanced Tutor

This is how I rebuilt my 8' pole after a storm blew it way out of plumb an hour after installation. I used a tractor, two come-alongs, two large pieces of angle iron, a bunch of exhaust clamps, some conduit  and a whole lot of concrete.

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Nice 🙂