cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How da heck did that happen?

New Poster

How da heck did that happen?

A little preface - I'm one of those that finds HN service to be thoroughly frustrating and quite often useless. There are days where I can actually spend some time on the net before things start not connecting but that isn't often.

This morning was a true surprise, though.

From 2:20 AM til 3:20 AM I could connect just like I was using my cable connection at the shop. I would click on a link and I'd be there. No little spinning disc. No 'This page can't be displayed'. No waiting for the page to slowly load. I was there. And it was even raining steady outside.

I was able to read 15 or 20 news stories, something I have not ever been able to do with Hughes.

But, alas, at 3:20 it was over. As an example, it just took me over 7 minutes to get into the community. Spinning discs. Sign in. Sign in. Sign in. This page can't be displayed. Sign in. Sign in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you get my drift.

So, I'm really curious   - Where did I manage to get a connection that good this morning? Serious question.
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How da heck did that happen?

Stay off the Hughes page, it sucks up data! FB is also a hog! My Mac always works fine, and my 5/50Gb plan always has data left at the end of the month. Apples Activity Monitor utility showed me how much usage each site used. We used to run out every month with 50Gb plan. Windows is also a pig, I threw my pcs into the trash years ago. They can never be made safe. You spend more time updating anti-virus and checking every piece of data for viruses than working.
Alum

Hi wren2,

We appreciate the post. There are so many factors that can cause what you experienced. First lets start with running diagnostics. Here are a few results pulled from your site:

Your first initial diagnostics are all green. The site is above target for DL and UL rates from our satellite. Next is the overall nature of your sites performance spread out through 3 months of service:

Other than a brief dip in service, where a dispatch had to be created the service has been working normally. The red line is your site and the dotted line is others in your area. Here is a quick look at your sites current state and connected devices:

Finally here are the exact speeds taken just a few minutes ago on what you are currently receiving from our satellite. 

As you can see your site is working optimally.The latency is good and speeds are optimal. However one thing I noticed throughout all of this is your Belkin router. Not too sure how many devices you have connected through wireless (there was a few listed that are not shown in the picture), but from what our diagnostics show, there may be a bottle neck within your network. For example if you are connected through a router and have multiple devices, your bandwidth will be shared with those while they are all connected. The less devices connected at once will affect your performance on each device. 

What I would try, is removing the router out of the equation and connecting only one computer directly to the HughesNet modem. See if this changes your experience, and if it does, the router could be the culprit. If nothing changes. The devices themselves may need tweaking. Which would include malware/adware scans, and other optimizations. I hope this helps. Please let us know if any of the suggestions produce a different result. 

Thank you,
Chris
New Poster

Mornin' Chris,

Here's the lay of the land here -

My PC is wired direct to the router. Windows 8. No updating of any program allowed except with case by case permission. One running anti-virus program, two ant- programs run AT LEAST twice per day. CCCleaner used between EVERY website accessed. My computer has never seen Facebook or Netflix or any other 'popular' sites as such. The bulk of my browsing and on-line time is normally in the wee hours on bonus time.

My wife's PC, wireless, Windows 8.1. Pretty much the same set-up for anti- and any updates. I doubt she is as anal as I am about security but she does keep one running ant- and does two others at least once per day. She's the Facebook nut. Her on-line time can occur any time.

We are usually on-line at different times but overlap for a couple of hours per day on occasion.

My back-up PC with Vista, wired but plugged into the router rarely. Connected maybe once a month for security up-dates during the wee hours of the morning when nothing else is running.

My lap-top, Vista, wireless, pretty much the same protocols as the back-up PC above.

That's what we have.  All of the equipment has been to my shop, including the router, to see how they work on cable. No issues there.

Anyway, this is all about my primary post above. Yesterday morning's experience was FAR above any service I normally see. I was just curious as to how it happened. Lower quality connections are the norm here.
New Poster

Took some time to play with the system. Eliminated the router from the equation,connected to my main PC, rebooted the modem, and the result is same same. Spinning wheels, unable to follow more than one link, the usual.

Reconnected the router, rebooted the modem, same same still.

Normal experience.
Alum

Hi wren2,

What browsers do you guys use mainly on the two machines that are typically connected?

- Chris
New Poster

All I can tell you is Explorer. Unlike my Vista puters, I can't find the specific browser info on the 8 and 8.1 puters.
Alum

Hi wren2,

OK, first thing to do is install a new browser. I would suggest google chrome. Once it is installed please download and install this extension. Once the extension is installed you should be taken to a page that will allow you to disable more things like tracking from websites etc. Then try surfing the internet as you would normally do and keep us posted on your experience.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

- Chris
New Poster

I'll give it a shot early in the morning but do have a concern with Chrome. Read something a while back about Google stopping support for it sometime in the near future. That and Google's rep for being real awful nosy.
Alum

Hi wren,

Stopping support for what? You can also download the same extension in Firefox and most other browsers. Just make sure to find the same company. The extension I posted is from adblockplus.org group. Just search the same extension for the respective store. 

- Chris