cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I cancel my service and not get charged for Early Termination?

How do I cancel my service and not get charged for Early Termination?

I have currently had HughesNet for one year. I got this internet to run GIS software because I am a student. I have never been able to use this software for even fifteen minutes before I exceed my data allowance. For context, I have a mid-tier package and have been told that the expected data allowance (prior to being switched to the slower speeds) should last around 10 movies or 15 hour long shows on Netflix. This is not even remotely the case. I can watch two thirty minute episodes on Netflix at the beginning of the monthly data allowance before I am switched to slower speeds and completely incapable of doing anything online other than web browsing. I have called, numerous times. Each time my data allowance is reset which is nice on the part of HughesNet, but essentially pointless because the internet quality is so bad within only two hours of use at the beginning of a new data cycle. 

I am a student and am forced two drive an hour to my campus on a daily basis because I can't use my HughesNet internet. How can I get out of my two year requirement?
30 REPLIES 30
Associate Professor

Re: How do I cancel my service and not get charged for Early Termination?

Only two ways to get out of contract...

1: By paying for the ETF.

2: By having your sales call reviewed, and see if you was lied to about anything.

Curious, can you tell us the exact name of the software package your trying to use?
Assistant Professor

And 15 hours on Netflix set to low definition will use just over 4.5GB. Exactly which plan do you have? That software must be using lots of data. Maybe HD graphics pages and video being both uploaded and downloaded?

The easyest way to not pay a ETF after 1 year is wait another year gee that's simple.

Charles- I have tried to use ArcMap-GIS. But I want to be VERY clear. I have never successfully used this software while using HughesNet internet. After I realized that I could not watch Netflix either, I uninstalled this software from my computer. 

Sgoshe- Let me clariy. I have ArcMap GIS which would pull a lot of data...But after my first attempt of trying to use it, I have uninstalled ArcMap on my computer. That was towards the end of last year and I now use that software on a campus computer (1 hr drive from my home). I also run Netflix from a PS3, but I do not leave my ethernet cable plugged in unless watching Netflix (at most 1 hr per month). 

Gary- Ha, thanks. Currently I can pay $250+ to opt out of a HughesNet plan and not have internet or I can continue to pay $70 a month for the next year and not have internet. Which would you suggest?

Charles- I am curious as to what was the result from the thread posted below. It appears that Katie (an Official Rep.) was able to opt Jimmey (the customer) out of the two year requirement. I understand that those are primarily the to ways to avoid the ETF but if there were no other options whatsoever regardless of circumstances, that would be a failure on the part of HughesNet would it not?

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how-do-i-cancel-my-service-and-not-get-charged-fo... 

Is it really (you was lied to?or should it be you were lied to.)

Well Chase I guess we shall never know, as the mods decided it would be appropriate to conveniently remove the post you listed an mark it as private. Essentially meaning noone can now review that case except them.   They do this when THEY feel a post is no longer RELEVANT to current users.......   If it's the case I'm thinking of it certainly wasn't an EASY out for Jimmy, it was more than a few months of effort going through the motions to prove bad speed an connection loss

Hi Melissa,

I made that conversation private this morning because others were jumping on a single user's thread. That thread was created for him to have his issue resolved and was instead being slowly taken over. We were unsure if Jimmy's issue was fully resolved, so instead of closing it, I made it private in case Jimmy needed to come back.

We do reserve the right to close, merge, archive and privatize any thread in the HughesNet community.

Thank you,
Amanda

Well Chase 70x12=840

Hey I was just joshing with you sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.  I don't know if HughesNet would ever let you out of the EFT unless you were lied to or the installer really messed up.  It sound to me that Satellite or Cellular internet would never work for you if you keep on using Netflix in HD.  If you can't get Cable or DSL where you live then your video/movie habbits have to change.  Satellite is a last result internet service no matter who your satellite provider is.  It will never be equal to DSL or Cable due to the nature of the Technology and the 2 trips from Earth to Satellite.  It goes up, then down, then up again. then down again that is a 88,944
mile trip.