cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I cancel my service and not get charged for Early Termination?

Assistant Professor

Re: How do I cancel my service and not get charged for Early Termination?

He didn't share what plan he has and if he is streaming in HD but I would have to guess he is if can only do an hour before killing his data allowance. I'm curious if he's getting such good speed he is streaming and doing other data intensive things as soon as refilled then going into FAP right away.

Well even a 720p Video would only consume about 800-900 Mb per hour so if he is it would have to be a 1080p stream I can't see Satellite streaming that fast. Even at 5-6 Mbps it would buffer a lot.

Alum

Hi Chase,

Welcome to the community! I was able to pull up your account using your profile information and I see that you have already cancelled your service. We are sorry to see you go but we hope that everything goes well with your next ISP.

Thank you,
Chris
Assistant Professor

Gary, Netflix can use 3GB/hour in HD much higher in Ultra. My system can handle HD when getting "up to" speed.

They basically stream at the same data rate you get with OTA TV just a bit lower but not much. My OTA recordings at 720p for an hour show come in at about 4.75 GB.

Well I do know sometime I'll look at a video on foxnews.com and it will stream at 720 and it buffers like crazy even on a 3 or 4 minute video.  Those Netflix servers must really have the power to get that large of a download rate.  Personaly I don't really care much for video over the PC and have just a plain old dumb TV (no it don't have vacuum tubes) I don't have a Cell Phone and my Wife's is a LG flip phone with no data just voice and text.  No tablet or PS anything and my fridge don't connect to the internet. (it just keeps things cold or frozen)  I guess this is why my 5gb daytime plan works fine for me unless the modem gets stuck in a loop as it did a couple days ago.
Assistant Professor

I was the same a couple years ago then my wife needed a smart phone for work then she found history videos on her tablet. Then I found Sci-Fi shows I never saw before because of no cable or satellite TV. It does suck you in once you start.

There is some good Sci-Fi out there I found some neat stuff on You Tube.  At 360p it doesn't use very much Bandwidth.  I do see the old Star Trek on METV on Saturday night OTA.  While I do have DirecTv I hardly ever watch it, just Street Outlaws and Falling Skies for the most part.  When it returns I will watch Hell on Wheels on AMC though.

Hello Gary/Sgoshe- My apologies for not telling you the data plan. Its the 10GB. I am not streaming in HD and Gary I completely understand that satellite internet quality will never be as good as DSL and that its sole benefit is providing internet access to locations that do not have access. Regardless, i should not be paying $70 a month for internet to stream an hour of Netflix and than poof....I'm stuck in the 90s with my dial-up tones and Air Jordans. It might be the only business model to keep them afloat, still a terrible business model for the consumer. 

Oh yes I woul love to see DSL out  here where I am but the Phone Company says to many rock to run fiber so I am stuck with Satellite Dial-up or Cellular of the three Hughes or Exede were my best choices.  I went with HughesNet because Exede wanted to charge 100.00 for installation and HughesNet through a local Company installed for free and the Local Company included a router for free.
Honorary Alumnus

It really isn't so much the business model as it is the costs associated with satellite internet.

A new satellite cost upwards of 500 million dollars. Add to that launch and insurance costs. Remember the satellite is only going to have a 12 to 15 year lifespan then must be replaced. It cant be repaired or its capacity expanded.

To the above, you can add in the costs of building, maintaining and staffing numerous uplink/downlink facilities known as Gateways and the building and staffing of NOC's.

Compare this to ground based ISP's that can lay a fiber optic cable much cheaper and use it for decades.

The key point is .... those ground based ISP's have decided it does not make good economic sense to serve your area.

Satellite service is a highspeed service of last resort.