cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get support?

DrJdrew
Freshman

How do I get support?

After spending time on the "community" I ran some tests and submitted a post explaning my issues. After checking back every day for an answer, I see that my post was marked as spam. I have children upset about not being able to stream their shows without significant buffering and am at a loss as to how to resolve my issues. Is there a way to get real help from a real human being???

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: How do I get support?

Does the buffering happen all the time or in the evenings? Are you using apps on a TV? Is the TV connected directly to the modem or are you using the wifi?  

The HughesNet reps are on this site M-F during business hours. You can also call the customer service number 24/7. 

DrJdrew
Freshman

I explained everything AND added "Testmy.net" results in my post that was marked as spam.

However: We are using an Amazon Fire Stick on a projector. The FireStick is hardwired directly to a data port on the Modem. I have tried running with the wifi turned off and it does improve a bit, but we still get 15 second to ten minute long buffering experiences just not as regularly.

Testmy.net shows download speeds between 40 - 46 Mbps but my latency (RT) is averaging 548 ms. 

<a href="https://testmy.net/quickstats/Drjdrew">Drjdrew's Speed Test Results</a>

This setup worked nearly flawlessly with our Comcast cable based internet at our previous home, but we are limited in our options at our new home. Unfortunately, the claims made by the sales department aren't being upheld by the technology.

maratsade

Comcast is terrestrial internet, totally different from the more limited satellite internet, so there's no comparison. 

Your average latency is normal for satellite internet. Latency and network congestion account for buffering, especially during prime time.  Satellite has limited broadband and it must be shared by all the subscribers in your area. When everyone is doing data intensive tasks, the quality lowers for everyone.  

Hughesnet is designed for 25Mbps down and 3 Mbps up. Your download speeds are above those advertised, but the upload speeds are slow. 

What claims were made by the sales department? When were these claims made? If the account is less than 6 months old, the sales call would be available for review. If you would like a sales calle review,   request it in a post under MyAccount and Billing, and explain what claims were made. The reps on this site can pull up the sales call and listen to what the sales agent said and what you replied and see whether appropriate expectations were set. 

DrJdrew
Freshman

I accept that terrestrial and satellite are two completely different animals, I only made the statement to show that the hardware configuration was effective. (The first excuse used in poor tech support is, "it must be your hardware".) I have worked with a wide variety of networking media so I am aware of what to expect or what can be provided. It has been over 15 years since I've worked with sattelite service and I was hoping that the technology had advanced significantly, especially since there was no need to have the outgoing traffic over POTS.

I was led to believe that there would be no issues with streaming video and that 35 mbps was more than enough bandwidth for our needs. Technically, they were correct, the bandwidth is fine, it's the latency that is killing us. Apparently, I am expecting too much from the satellite service and will have to look at other options.

maratsade

If you've had your account for under 6 months, you can request a sales call review so the reps here can evaluate what was said to you. 

You can also troubleshoot with tech support here, or you can call the phone reps and see if they can help. 

There's also the option of terminating the account, if the service is unusable to you. 

GabeU

@DrJdrew 

If you haven't already, I would try Snoozing or turning off the Video Data Saver to see if that helps.  Keep in mind, however, that doing this will very likely cause you to use more data while streaming, unless you've reduced the resolution of the stream at the source.  Granted, the chances of having a completely buffer free streaming experience in the evenings is not great, but it might help to improve it.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro