How do I improve my upload speeds?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

How do I improve my upload speeds?

My upload speeds are currently 236 Kbps per testmy.net and I cannot access my VPN connection. I have the 10GB plan and have not used up my allotted data.
21 REPLIES 21
Chris11
Alum

Hello Kelley,

Welcome and thanks for posting. How is your network set up? Are you running the speed tests with one computer directly connected to the modem via Ethernet? Are these speeds consistent throughout the day? Also, not sure if you were informed, but using a VPN connection is not recommended on a satellite connection. What exactly are you using to connect the VPN? VPN's can cause a considerable amount of slow down to speeds, for both downloads and uploads. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

Hi Chris, I use a router with a laptop due to the location of Hughesnet router. I tested my speeds wirelessly. I have been using a VPN since I got Hughesnet over 6 years ago because I was told it would work just fine for working from home (this was when I was on the Spaceway or whatever).  I upgraded about a year or less ago to Gen 4 and have had no issues until the end of last week and this week.  I was able to access the VPN yesterday, it seems after my bonus time is over and I'm using my data allowance. 

kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

just did a speed test and I'm at 371Kbps.......
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

Chris11
Alum

Hi Kelley,

Can you run some more tests throughout the day? I'd like to see if this changes.

- Chris
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

kelley.nesbitt5,

When you are performing your upload speed tests, make sure to use the manual 2MB sized test.  Don't use the auto test.  
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman
Chris11
Alum

Hi Kelley,

I understand that you want to see the comparison. However for us. We just need testmy for the time being. All on the one our engineers will take as official. Each time you go to take a test. Run a batch of them. About 5 minutes apart. I appreciate the tests you have run and we'll throw them in the bunch anyway.

Also just to clarify. Your previous statement, are you currently able to access the VPN? And what did you mean by this "it seems after my bonus time is over and I'm using my data allowance." 

Thanks,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Kelley,

Just wanted to add another question. Have you added any new devices recently. Like a mobile phone or tablet? New computers maybe?

- Chris
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

I was able to access my VPN on Monday (which I have successfully done for 6 years until the end of last week and the week) and it happened after my bonus time expired and when my data kicked it.  I have been unsuccessful on remote access via my VPN on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Everything was fine last week until either Thursday or Friday. 

I will try to get tests 5 mins apart, I was working on a deadline today so my ability to pull away from what I'm supposed to be doing was scarce.  I assumed when you said throughout the day, you meant every now and again.

http://testmy.net/db/wVQjpxSR1

kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

sorry, longer than 5 mins...conference call....

http://testmy.net/db/tzc8pIZCd

kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

Oh and no, nothing has been added.  I'm here by myself during working hours with just a computer and my cell phone which I run off of wifi.
GabeU

kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

Sorry, I was unaware of "quickstats"

GabeU

It's just an easy way to look at the tests so you can look at all of them in one location and be able to see patterns of slowdowns and such. 

BTW, when you look at the results (when you are signed in) you may see some that are highlighted in yellow.  Those results aren't yours.  They are people's who happen to be on the same connection ID at the time that they ran their tests.  If you are seeing the other ones and you want to be able to see just yours, scroll all of the way to the bottom of the table and just under it, on the left,  will be an option to click on to show only YOUR tests.  Why testmy defaults to showing you other peoples' speed tests along with yours on the results page when you are signed in is beyond me.  It seems like the default should be to only show yours.  I guess nothing can be simple these days.  LOL.   

Also, only YOU see the other tests (the ones in yellow).  If anyone else looks at your results page they will only see YOUR test results, not the others.