cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I improve my upload speeds?

How do I improve my upload speeds?

My upload speeds are currently 236 Kbps per testmy.net and I cannot access my VPN connection. I have the 10GB plan and have not used up my allotted data.
21 REPLIES 21
Alum

Re: How do I improve my upload speeds?

Hello Kelley,

Welcome and thanks for posting. How is your network set up? Are you running the speed tests with one computer directly connected to the modem via Ethernet? Are these speeds consistent throughout the day? Also, not sure if you were informed, but using a VPN connection is not recommended on a satellite connection. What exactly are you using to connect the VPN? VPN's can cause a considerable amount of slow down to speeds, for both downloads and uploads. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris, I use a router with a laptop due to the location of Hughesnet router. I tested my speeds wirelessly. I have been using a VPN since I got Hughesnet over 6 years ago because I was told it would work just fine for working from home (this was when I was on the Spaceway or whatever).  I upgraded about a year or less ago to Gen 4 and have had no issues until the end of last week and this week.  I was able to access the VPN yesterday, it seems after my bonus time is over and I'm using my data allowance. 

just did a speed test and I'm at 371Kbps.......

Alum

Hi Kelley,

Can you run some more tests throughout the day? I'd like to see if this changes.

- Chris
Distinguished Professor IV

kelley.nesbitt5,

When you are performing your upload speed tests, make sure to use the manual 2MB sized test.  Don't use the auto test.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit