Hughesnet Community

How is it legal to sell this service?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ohio_is_Cloudy

How is it legal to sell this service?

Most of Ohio is cloudy 300/365 days a year, with heavy cloud cover 200/365 days.  With even the slightest cloud cover, my speeds are in the kbps range, not the 25 Mbps I am paying for.  It basicaly never works, but when I call tech support the excuse is always "the weather".  If this system can't work the majority of days of the year, it should not be sold in this region, period!

17 REPLIES 17
C-Walker
Freshman

I live in a rural area and the weather is actually pretty clear 75% of the year and my internet hasn’t ever reached 25 MPs EVER! Granted I’ve only had the service for a little over 5 months but I thought I would be getting around that anyways. Mine usually stays in the kbp/s. Unfortunately this is the only internet service that is available where I live. If I had any other choice I believe I would take it. As for the reps they have always been friendly and easy to work with. That’s about the only bright side to this service.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Ohio_is_Cloudy

If your service speed is dropping because of normal cloud cover, there may be an aiming issue.  General cloud cover shouldn't affect your service.  

Also, please keep in mind that inclement weather at your gateway can effect your service just like inclement weather at your own location.  Your gateway is located in another state from you.  So even if it's clear at your location, that doesn't necessarily mean that weather isn't affecting your service.  This site, which is operated by one of the Community members, can help you determine where your gateway is.  This way, if you encounter an issue, you can look at that city's weather to see if that could be what's causing it.    

In case you normally don't, it would be best for you to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  The reps are on M-F from 8AM to 5PM EST, though I'm pretty sure they're off Tuesday, and they may be off for part of the day on Monday, as well.

I really appreciate the info. I think they checked my equipment and the radio and modem need to be replaced. Which this was two weeks ago and like I told the rep who is trying to help me, I know this isn’t their fault but I still haven’t received a call or visit from the company to repair or replace anything. I did message her about it. She has been very helpful to me. I think she will get it resolved. Thanks again for the site to check my gateway.
GabeU

@C-Walker 

I'm glad the info for finding your gateway was helpful to you.  

Regarding the speed issue you're experiencing, if it doesn't get resolved soon I would start a new topic in Tech Support so one of the reps on here can help you.  

lighthope1
Senior

As you learned, there is a correctable problem if you are getting slow speeds and weather outages.

My internet does remarkably well with cloud cover and even with snow on the dish.  This is a FAR CRY from when Hughesnet first came out when a passing butterfly would knock your internet out for days at a time.

The rest of this isn't going to be helpful, but you should be aware.

First level Hughesnet support for the most part are low-level drones.  They read a script and have no independent thought.

Once you get bootsted up to Advanced Support, then you're talking to actual people who can independently think.  You're in good hands.  But you have to fight your way through the first level first.  They are like Mr. Burns' rabid dogs who are designed to keep you from bothering the important people.

If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row, and HughesNet customer service basically told me to go suck eggs, there was nothing they would do other than set up another appointment for them to no show again.  Ask to talk to a supervisor and they give you the same runaround.

They got you and they know it.

Eventually, they did give me a $30 credit for three months, but after three no-shows, they owe me a LOT more.

Alas, until those LEO satallites come online, we're doomed to be their prisoners.

tl;dr Keep an eye out on no-shows from techs if they have to come out, and don't be afraid to complain, even if it is to a regulating agency.

maratsade

"If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row"

That's an issue you need to take up with the contractor's company. 

Complaining to regulatory agencies is not the magic bullet so many people think it is, and resolution (if there is any) could take months or more. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

lighthope1 wrote:

As you learned, there is a correctable problem if you are getting slow speeds and weather outages.

My internet does remarkably well with cloud cover and even with snow on the dish.  This is a FAR CRY from when Hughesnet first came out when a passing butterfly would knock your internet out for days at a time.

The rest of this isn't going to be helpful, but you should be aware.

First level Hughesnet support for the most part are low-level drones.  They read a script and have no independent thought.

Once you get bootsted up to Advanced Support, then you're talking to actual people who can independently think.  You're in good hands.  But you have to fight your way through the first level first.  They are like Mr. Burns' rabid dogs who are designed to keep you from bothering the important people.

If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row, and HughesNet customer service basically told me to go suck eggs, there was nothing they would do other than set up another appointment for them to no show again.  Ask to talk to a supervisor and they give you the same runaround.

They got you and they know it.

Eventually, they did give me a $30 credit for three months, but after three no-shows, they owe me a LOT more.

Alas, until those LEO satallites come online, we're doomed to be their prisoners.

tl;dr Keep an eye out on no-shows from techs if they have to come out, and don't be afraid to complain, even if it is to a regulating agency.

@maratsade wrote:

"If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row"

That's an issue you need to take up with the contractor's company. 

Complaining to regulatory agencies is not the magic bullet so many people think it is, and resolution (if there is any) could take months or more. 

HughesNet is responsible for their subcontractors.  That is the law.  If they send someone out, and they no-show, HughesNet is responsible for it.  If HughesNet wants to persue the subcontactor, that is up to them.

Additionally, and I forgot to put it in my post, was that another HughesNet subcontractor was available and willing to come out and do the work, but HughesNet refused to use them.  Something about them being contracted for installations only and not repairs.  (I'm trying to recall this from memory, so the exact terms may not be accurate.)

So no, no quarter is being given to HughesNet. They screwed up.  Badly.

And yes, complaining to regulators is pretty useless.  The Better Business Bureau especially.  (I think it's hillarious that the initials for that organization is censored on this board.)

maratsade

"HughesNet is responsible for their subcontractors. That is the law."

You don't say. 

"And yes, complaining to regulators is pretty useless. The Better Business Bureau especially."

They're not a regulatory agency.

"Something about them being contracted for installations only and not repairs."

This may have something to do with contracts or some other tedious law thing.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote: 

"Something about them being contracted for installations only and not repairs."

I believe it's just the way they contract.  Installation doesn't necessarily require the same level of knowledge and skill as that of troubleshooting and/or repair.  

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

I believe it's just the way they contract.  Installation doesn't necessarily require the same level of knowledge and skill as that of troubleshooting and/or repair.  

Yes, exactly. 

aw... Don't let facts get in the way of a good "common knowledge" story, @maratsade 

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Oh, I know.  It's a big bad habit of mine -- picked it up in law school, I'm afraid.  I'm blaming them for this, and will contact a regulatory agency about it. Maybe the Better Business Ottoman (which is MUCH stricter with this kind of stuff than the Bureau). 

@MarkJFine wrote:

aw... Don't let facts get in the way of a good "common knowledge" story, maratsade 

@maratsade wrote:

Oh, I know.  It's a big bad habit of mine -- picked it up in law school, I'm afraid.  I'm blaming them for this, and will contact a regulatory agency about it. Maybe the Better Business Ottoman (which is MUCH stricter with this kind of stuff than the Bureau). 

@MarkJFine wrote:

aw... Don't let facts get in the way of a good "common knowledge" story, maratsade 

Oh no, I accidentally listed the B B B as an regulatory agency.  The HORROR!

@lighthope1 wrote:

Additionally, and I forgot to put it in my post, was that another HughesNet subcontractor was available and willing to come out and do the work, but HughesNet refused to use them.  Something about them being contracted for installations only and not repairs.  (I'm trying to recall this from memory, so the exact terms may not be accurate.)

Maybe I'm missing something here,  but I choose who works on my system, not Hughes.  Found a good tech contractor years ago and have stuck with them since.

And yes, complaining to regulators is pretty useless.  The Better Business Bureau especially.  (I think it's hillarious that the initials for that organization is censored on this board.)

Cl**ss Act**n Law***t is also verboten.  :>)>

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here,  but I choose who works on my system, not Hughes.  Found a good tech contractor years ago and have stuck with them since. 

The contractor you have is assuredly authorized to work on your system.  Were they not, they would not be doing so.  Nor would they get paid to do so were they to try.  It appears that lighthope1 is limited in who is authorized and available to work on his system. 

When one contracts for a service that uses proprietary equipment, only those authorized by that company to work on their system/equipment are allowed to do so.  i.e. only those authorized to work on Hughes' service can do so.  Only those authorized to work on DirecTV's service can do so.  It may be your home, but it's their service/equipment.

@GabeU wrote:

@gaines_wright wrote:

When one contracts for a service that uses proprietary equipment, only those authorized by that company to work on their system/equipment are allowed to do so.  i.e. only those authorized to work on Hughes' service can do so.  Only those authorized to work on DirecTV's service can do so.  It may be your home, but it's their service/equipment.

Actually, I'm not going to worry about who owns what, or who is authorized, if the thing isn't working I'm going to call the company I trust.  I've had Directv, Dishtv. Directway, Mainstreet, and Hughes, and none of these chose the company I use now to do the original installation. Much to my sorrow in the case of Dish, but that's another story.

I chose the company I'm with now to redo the original Dish installation, to do the Mainstreet installaion,  to do the gen4 installation, and to replace my Hughes dish when it was knocked down by a EMT vehicle.  I didn't even call Hughes.    

I suspect the company I use is authorized to work on just about anything.  But I really don't care.  My point being:  don't depend on the provider to chose your tech company -- find one yourself.

"Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done and why. Then do it!"

Lararus Long

GabeU

@gaines_wright 

I was simply adding that caveat so no one gets themselves into trouble.  Unauthorized work on the system could cause the subscriber to be financially responsible for breaking the contract, as well as cause them to have to pay for the equipment worked on by an unauthorized contractor. 

You're certainly free to do as you wish, but anyone who reads this should ensure that any contractor they get to work on their HughesNet equipment is authorized by HughesNet to do so.  If they choose to not do so they're choosing to be financially responsible for any charges they may incur as a result.  If they own their equipment the equipment wouldn't come into play, but the service itself, and the existing contract, if there is one, still would.