cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much should a router affect speed? Suspect router going bad.

Freshman

How much should a router affect speed? Suspect router going bad.

So... as I was attempting to make all my changes on my router, I had a lot of resets, timeouts, etc. I disabled QoS, added MAC address filtering, no longer broadcast SSID. This took almost forty minutes with how slow communications were.

Then I went and plugged directly into my HughesNet modem... and got 20+ MBPS on my test.net. Plugged things back together with my router and got 3 MBPS. Much better than 500kbps I got the other night, but still a drastic change from the modem.

The router is more than three years old. DH is willing to put up money for a new one. Should I just replace, or have I missed something?
10 REPLIES 10
Associate Professor

Re: How much should a router affect speed? Suspect router going bad.

What model router is it exactly that you have?  By the way, don't hide the SSID, it does no good as people can still see the wireless signal, if anything it makes it more difficult on devices that know to connect to that SSID to make the connection since it is hidden.
Advanced Tutor

Shhhh..! Never tell anyone around here it's the router! Smiley Happy

Seriously, among all my HughesNet customers, routers account for more problems than everything else combined.

HughesNet has a list of tested and approved routers: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/list_of_wireless_routers_tested_for_hughesnet
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Alum

HI Lisa,

I found this article on PCWorld that  you might find useful. I think firmware updates are what I typically check for first. Then changing channels etc. Let us know if this was any help. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242112/router_tips_to_make_your_wireless_faster.html

Thanks,
Chris
Freshman

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-...

I was surprised to see it on the tested list. QoS is off. MAC address filtering (permitted list, four devices), WPA2(AES) security on both bands (different passwords), admin password changed, set to 192.168.3.1 address for the router, DHCP enabled. I can't think of much else in settings and security off the top of my head.

I was wondering if hiding the SSID would be much benefit. It was already a major pain after I started it, though if it can be remembered hidden by my devices next visit, I won't be all that cranky about it. I was disappointed that it wasn't "remembered" by my devices after the changes, since ID, etc., were still the same, just the ID was no longer broadcast.
Freshman

I have an ASUS N56U right now. It is three years old. It used to be what I used for my DSL service before they gave me a modem that included a router when they were not fixing my DSL problem (bad cable running to my house). CenturyLink has replaced my modem four times since May, insisting it has to be the problem... HughesNet isn't so bad when you're coming from a very intermittent DSL connection. At the moment I still have hope I can make this work. I found my data leak and fixed it.

Now if I could just share the 21MBPS that I saw on the speed test when I was connected directly to the modem, and have speeds that run at least half that consistently? I would be the happiest satellite internet person. In west central Missouri.
Freshman

Thank you, Chris. Going to go read it now!
Freshman

Well, here is this router's *current* situation: it is in a wood frame garage (climate-controlled) sitting on a shelf with maybe a six foot Cat5 cable connecting it to the HughesNet modem. There are no other broadcasting devices. There is a regular style ice maker in door refrigerator in the front corner of the garage between the router and line of sight where I usually use electronics (a 32' bunkhouse camper with vinyl siding). The distance between router and camper might be thirty feet.

The maximum connected devices on this router will be four, but usually there is at most two - my tablet and laptop might be both connected at the same time, but both won't be active. The devices will almost never be streaming on HughesNet, and when they do, it will usually be one device at a time. With unlimited 4G-LTE data, we are more likely to use phones plugged into HDMI adapter for video streaming.

Traffic, congestion and even lots of signal in the area from multiple wireless products ... not as common here. Closest neighbor is a quarter mile plus away, of course. ;-)
Alum

Hi Lisa,

Did you try the firmware update?

- Chris
Freshman