Hughesnet Community

How sad to discover that Hughsnet is no better than Dish or Direct.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bofo51

How sad to discover that Hughsnet is no better than Dish or Direct.

Throttled back to .14 Mbps ?
9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Hmmm...I don't recall my DirecTV ever being throttled back. 
GabeU

Ugh!  How could I forget?  I was watching Honey Boo Boo and it was reduced to three frames per second.  I was devastated and ran to bed, sobbing, without my warm milk. 
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Did you guys take your med tonight?
GabeU

Prilosec makes a man loopy.  Heh heh. 
Amanda

Hi bofo51,

Sounds like you've been through a lot of providers with the same issue. If you're exceeding your download allowance, you've come to the right place to get tips! In regards to the DISH or DirecTV comment... they generally provide HughesNet satellite to rural area customers who want to bundle also. 

Thanks
Amanda
elles

They actually throttle down your speed before you reach your limit. They accidentally admitted it to my boyfriend on the phone while we were complaining about the slow speeds
Amanda

Hi Elles

I'm not too sure about that, but I was able to find your account with your email address and run a quick diagnostic check. Looks like your modem is overheating (and could be the cause of your problems). Where is it located now?

Amanda
comm44tech

Satellite internet "is what it is" to use a phrase.  It is great for most uses but Data Caps are something to be considered every time that you log on. I check mine every day to see how my monthly use is going.  My service slows down after 5:00 PM and is slower on weekends as you would expect because more subscribers are on line at that time.  Also something else that might be slowing down your speeds during Bad weather is the fact that more subscribers might be indoors amusing themselves or doing work online, so it may be simulating peak period use even during a typically  non peak time of the day.
Niki Williams

So, is the throttling back of speed to about .15 or so average for when you reach the data cap? I'm just curious.