cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify where your data may be going

Assistant Professor

Re: How to identify where your data may be going

Not sure I want to use that much allowance on it either. I have a small Eee PC will probably take to the library and download the ISO.
New Poster

Short answer NO I downloaded it last night it was 3.9GB and I used Hughes download manager so if it dropped out it would recover and it did, 6 times but I did get the ISO and it only took the entire free period but I was using a 9000
New Poster

I read in the forum for windows of people installing it on Acer one netbooks and they run great
New Poster

Ron with windows 10 preview you cant turn off auto updates and I did a manual update just as soon as it showed up so and I had Glasswire turned off, I only run it when I want to see whats going on I dont run it full time

I assume Windows 10 uses BITS--if it does then don't forget that you can set it to DL only during fap-free/bonus-bytes.

I happen to use a single WHS2011 server to collect Windows updates for all my (many) PCs, and it is set to do so only from 2-8a for my Gen4.
New Poster

Good to know, thanks but I leave mine set the way windows installs everything just so I can see if there is a issue thats going to happen to others.

Charles,

I thought you still had a copy of W-7 on one of your computers and was referring to the Tuesday Patch update, the Java update, and the Adobe XI update. That is what Gwalk900 and I were discussing yesterday and what most of the Hughes.net customers are confronted with this week. I was not referring to the W-10 beta new release.

In regards to my question, I thought it was not possible to set up Windows 7 updates in the Hughes.net Download scheduler? I also thought that if a W-7 update got cut off that what had been downloaded to that point was retained in temporary memory and when the connection resumed the download continued from that point without starting over again?

I'm glad you were able to complete the W-10 within the free period. Do you check your download speed prior to the update? If so, what was it? I recall you mentioned that they had fixed your slow speed problem of recent times by agreeing to upgrade your plan to one that is not normally available anymore.

I guess I'm a bit, or a lot confused....

Ron

New Poster

Sorry for the confusion Ron, the windows 7 laptop is the one I upgraded but I also have 2 windows 8.1 laptops. On those I do have them setup supposedly to update at 3:00am but if you read the fine print the auto update says it will do the update at 3:00am it does not say thats when it will download it, in the case of my 2 win 8.1 machines I see the download happen at random times I guess its when the system see there is one there and then it updates at 3am. I will install Glasswire on them and see if I can catch when the download actually happens verses when its suppose to. as for my speed before the free period I was seeing downloads of close to 5Mbps but when the download started it was very erratic between 200Kbps-3000Kbps but by using the download manager it went through a ftp server to do the download, actually it was running 5 ftp connections at once so thats probably why I was getting such an erratic reading, if I had chose to download through a browser it would have been a single connection but higher rate and more stable. for some reason they have messed with how the 9000 works with ftp sites, I did go this morning and start the same download through Chrome and saw a constant speed of over 4000Kbps but had I chose to download it that way when the connection dropped like it did 6 times last night it would have started the download from scratch and I wasnt going to take that chance   

Charles,

Thanks for the clarification. I have 2 W-7 and 1 W-8,1 in service and totally understand the download start time problem regardless of the settings. That's why I took them out of check for updates at 3 A.M. for patch Tuesday. I still haven't actually downloaded any of them yet, but have received notification in the taskbars that they are ready. Usually the 8,1 pc does do the downloads during the night but once in a while when a reboot is required for it to continue to the next update we will see a message of restart necessary or W-8 will do it in so many minutes.

I hope that a lot of folks who believe that their updates are being done during the night and have stated so as not being a cause of lost allotment during the day will check into it themselves to see what is really going on.

Ron

New Poster

You do bring up a valid point about when the updates actually download verses when they install, I will see If I can tell with my Win 8.1 machines, I have seen my windows 10 preview do a 200MB update in the middle of the day and wasn't anything I could do other than watch it download, lol but I will see when the others are I looked at the update history on all 3 machines and they only show when the update was completed. but this is something that needs to be figured out and how to make it happen when its suppose to.