cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify where your data may be going

Re: How to identify where your data may be going

Charles,

I did my updates last night. For 3 pc's over a Gig. Averaging that had it been in the daytime and on a 10 Gig monthly allotment, that would have been 3 days worth of use, so it is worthwhile to do it in the free time or bonus bytes, whichever applies.

On the 8.1 machine there were an additional 2 recommended optional updates amounting to about 160 MB. The first one had to do with making the critical 18 part update work properly on an 8.1 machine, so in my thinking should be a required download for 8.1 as well.

The installing of the critical 18 part update was quite time consuming and there were a couple reboots involved but everything was successfully installed. I always create a restore point manually prior to these updates, even though windows should do it automatically.

Also a gigantic update for Adobe Application Manager. Most folks don't have this unless they are into Photoshop, Lightroom, and other Adobe products, as I am. That would really wipe out an allotment and there are always other software updates going on in the background.

The bad thing about this night updating that can't be scheduled is that so many folks work or have other obligations so they really can't take advantage of the free time marketing strategy that they read so much about in the advertising.

Ron

New Poster

And there are also a lot of people that just cant stay up to use the Bonus period, seem to me that they could off an option for those people to to be able to use the bonus data during a different time frame like swap your bonus period for free weekends, because as it stands now Hughes knows a lot of people cant or wont use that time frame and are just basicly stealing that data from them with no other option for the customer to use it

GOOD idea! Do they have a suggestion box? (Seriously)
New Poster

no just a section for Ideas, I will post it there.

a, how can you skip 9, and b, how can you have a "last big upgrade" in a fast moving world like computers? Are we doomed to have windows 10point ninebillion running around at some future point? Will all the mini upgrades be free from now till eternity.. sounds unlikely heh.

Why are people having so much trouble with this. You set Windows BITS to download only during nightime hours. Done. No worry for killing your daytime bandwidth. Heck there are even download managers based on BITS that take advantage of this...

The only issue is that if you are ANXIOUS to download (then install) an update during the day, you'd have to manually fiddle with BITS to make it happen or you'd have to separately find/download the update to get it during the day.

What is your point? Windows update does use BITS but setting it for 3 AM or another time does not make it start the download at that time.

Folks experiencing 200-500kb speeds should not see downloading commence during the day if they are constantly using their computer to maximum capacity but when the coffee cup needs refilling the computer often becomes available during the day and the incomplete download of the update picks up again.

At least that's my understanding. Please tell us all how you guarantee that updates only start during the night zone and never commence during the day if they or numerous others that are on the BITS set up by Microsoft are in the rotation pattern?

Ron

John,

Just to throw this out there - I've heard through the vine they skipped 9 due to some 3rd party software issues that would cause incompatibility due to their coding. Example, Windows 9 would be read as 95 or 98 because of certain clauses and software would cease to work. This is just speculation to my knowledge, but a code search shows just how many programs out there were coded and did not have the future in mind : https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28version%2Cstartswith%28%22windows+9%22%29

Amanda

It has been discussed here several times before, but it was easier for me to find this discussion from dslreports Hughes forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26574721-HN7000S-Windows-Updates

The procedure asserts rules in your Windows registry to "limit bandwidth" and the only customization needed is to make sure the start/stop times of your FAP/Bonus are correct for your location. I have used it for years and it works beautifully to limit all MS download activity to the FAP-free (now Bonus Bytes) time period.

Hughes should either be shouting this from their rooftop or perhaps even make a tool that does the Registry changes automagically for their customers.

THAT is a great find. It would be terrific if HN or a third-party vendor could develop a Widget that contained the various options with the usual disclaimers like "Backup your registry," etc. so that the average person could do this. Some users I know don't even know how to copy and paste...
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com