Hughesnet Community

How to record streaming TV shows offline via Roku

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aheisey

How to record streaming TV shows offline via Roku

Has anyone tried to record TV shows via Roku? I would like to record the shows during the bonus period so that my family can view on the television (working remotely due to Covid-19). I have an older flat screen television (not a smart TV) and use Directv/ATT satellite television. If I can't record to TV, can someone explain how to record via Roku to a laptop or tablet (iPad)?

PS HughesNet, we've already gone beyond the data cap and now using up stored bonus tokens even though your announcement stated that you would increase data caps...?

2 REPLIES 2
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"PS HughesNet, we've already gone beyond the data cap and now using up stored bonus tokens even though your announcement stated that you would increase data caps...?"

Give them a minute to get things working and deployed. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@aheisey 

Though it wouldn't be via the Roku, you may want to look into PlayOn Cloud.  It "captures" your streamed item, records it to a DVR in the cloud, then converts it to an mp4 file, which you can then either manually download, automatically download right after it's recorded and converted, or schedule to download during a specific time, like during the Bonus Zone.  Then, you can play the mp4 file on any device that has that ability, which most these days do, including Smart TVs with a USB port.  

The service itself is free, but you pay for recording credits, with each credit being good for one show or movie.  It works quite well.

As for your Roku question, I've never used one and know very little about them, so I can't help with that.  I just thought I would make you aware of this alternative.