How to set your Amazon Prime shows/movies to low definition to save data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

How to set your Amazon Prime shows/movies to low definition to save data

When you go to your Amazon library, or if it's your first time watching something on Amazon, at the bottom of your screen you will see a row of icons. The one on the far right is the little gear icon for Settings. Click on that, and you will see a list. In the middle section the list is "Streaming Settings," "Download Settings," and "Autoplay." Set your streaming and download settings to "Good." Set your autoplay to "Off."

It makes a HUGE difference! The "good" setting will use up to 0.6 GB for every hour watched, while the "Better" setting will use up to 1.8 GB, and the "Best" setting will use up to 5.8 GB for every hour watched!

That means if you have 15 GB anytime data per month, and your Amazon is set to "best," you can watch fewer than 3 hours of streaming video before you run out of data. With the "good" setting, you could watch up to 25 hours of video streaming before you run out, assuming the only thing you did on your device was watching streaming video. YMMV depending upon what else you use your device for.

These numbers will be similar for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. Monitoring your data use at least daily will help you use it wisely, so it lasts all month.

Turning autoplay off prevents Amazon from automatically starting the next episode of a TV season you have purchased.

🙂
14 REPLIES 14
Liz

Great advice, Chewagirl!

Thanks so much for sharing with us. 😄

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"The "good" setting will use up to 0.6 GB for every hour watched."  Wow. That's twice as much as Netflix, right?  Thanks for the tip, Chewagirl! ETA:  I don't see a gear -- I can only switch between HD and SD.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Missed this when Chewagirl first made it. Didn't know they've given users some control over the streaming definition. Had an account with them several years ago but closed it as it used way too much data and there was no control.

From the sounds of maratsades post the control might be hit or miss. Agree even the good setting is still double Netflix low setting.
maratsade

I can only change from HD to SD when I'm watching something, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere where I can make a permanent change. I went to the video settings page, and I can change Auto play from on to off, but there's nothing about the streaming quality.   I may be missing something, of course. "At the bottom of your screen you will see a row of icons."  I don't see a row of icons at the bottom of the video library page.  I see a row of links at the top: Your watchlist|Your video library|Setings|Getting started|Help.  "Settings" offers no controls regarding video quality. 😞
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hmm, wonder if there is some sort of update or maybe even different playback interfaces between browsers and OS. Strange.
Amanda

FYI - Google changed the settings for YouTube quality earlier this year or last year, can't recall exactly. You no longer have the option to make lower video quality a default setting in your Youtube Preferences. However an official rep from YouTube did state that if you only need to set it once on any video, it should remain that way for any other video you watch (on that device at least and/or until cookies/cache are cleared as well).
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks Amanda. I noticed the setting was gone in preferences and had been searching if they moved it. Sure wish these streaming providers would realize there are LOTS of people who don't have broadband unlimited internet service.

Removing the setting is definitely a step backwards IMO.
maratsade

I don't stream enough for this to be worrying, but it is indeed curious! I'll get on the Amazon chat one of these days and ask a rep.
maratsade

I wonder how they make these decisions.... Did the setting get in the way of something? Was it eating too much something or other?  Perhaps they have realized everyone, absolutely everyone, has quantum speed broadband and has no need whatsoever for these settings.
maratsade

Wait.... dim bulb had a small power surge -- does this only apply to purchased videos, Chewagirl? I haven't purchased any; I just watch the free stuff included in Prime.  Maybe that's why I don't see the settings.
msnyder
New Poster

I think the gear only shows for videos in your library, i.e., those you have bought. I have found no way to force SD for Amazon streaming. I think that would help with the hesitation. I think Amazon is being "helpful" by always choosing the HD setting if it seems possible--which it must be when we start viewing. Later the HD selection is a problem when Hughes can't deliver data fast enough. I have set SD for all my Netflix viewing and it mostly works fine, even in high traffic times. But I can find no way to force SD for streaming video.

GabeU

@msnyder

When streaming in HD do you turn off (or pause) the Video Data Saver?  The VDS deliberately throttles your speed while streaming in order to save data, and it throttles the speed to such that is amenable to SD, but not HD.  Turning it off (or pausing it) may help with the buffering while trying to stream in HD.  

You can do so in the Video Settings section of the HughesNet Usage Meter, or by signing into the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on the Settings tab.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Shocked why anyone would want to stream HD with limited satellite data to begin with. That said, Amazon streaming seams to stink no matter what definition I try. Gets back to the technology they are using. 

Edit: And possibly lack of server capacity. Me thinks a combination of the two. Really don't think streaming is their highest priority.

maratsade

It boggles the mind, esp. when HD is not necessary to enjoy a show. As for Amazon, I've had some luck lately, with streaming starting shakily and very pixelated and then normalising, but of all the services I use to stream, they're the most unfriendly, and I think you're right, it's not a priority for the company. 

@BirdDog wrote:

Shocked why anyone would want to stream HD with limited satellite data to begin with. That said, Amazon streaming seams to stink no matter what definition I try. Gets back to the technology they are using. 

Edit: And possibly lack of server capacity. Me thinks a combination of the two. Really don't think streaming is their highest priority.