Hughesnet Community

How to track what is using so much data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryangreen36

How to track what is using so much data

I'm on the 50 GB plan, and I have a problem with all of my data being used up with 10 days still to go on billing cycle. Each day, between 1.5 - 3 GB is getting used, with the worst day being 5.3. How can I track what is draining this really expensive plan dry on me so quickly? Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

For a PC, focus on Glasswire.  It's a great program that can identify what's using your data on the computer it's installed on.

Certain routers can help, too.  

If you have Windows 10, make sure to have "Updates from more than one place" turned off, and it's a good idea to turn syncing off, as well.  

The following thread has a lot of information that can help, including info about Glasswire and the routers....

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...  

Starfox82
New Poster

If you have Yahoo messenger, someone could have hacked into it and is using all your data.  I had that happen to me once.  Delete the Messenger, then re- install it.  It will keep all your stuff, but you will be on a different line.  That stopped my problem.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Starfox82 wrote:

If you have Yahoo messenger, someone could have hacked into it and is using all your data.  I had that happen to me once.  Delete the Messenger, then re- install it.  It will keep all your stuff, but you will be on a different line.  That stopped my problem.

No... just... no...

#1 - people outside of hughesnet can't actually hack your computer directly, that includes hacking for some reason, a messenger application.
#2 - Yahoo Messenger is nothing more than a web-based client now.
#3 - Reinstalling it doesn't put you on a "different line".  You are still connecting via the same connection.

Well that happened to  us, and it happened for a long time. And getting rid of it took care of the problem.

i had Hughes some years ago. and just got it again.  But my data is just dissapering like crazy, I got new data on the 1st, and by the 2nd it was all gone.  We have a desktop and a laptop that we turn off when not in use.  It doesn't matter, it still leaves.  I can put a token on there and it is gone in a couple of hours, even when I am not using anything.

So I hope someone can give me some help.    Thanks.

I have check out all the suggestions, nothing has worked. I got 20G the first of the month, and by the third day it was all gone.

I put in a token and it is gone in about an hour.   I need to find out where this is going, it is driving me nuts.  HELP.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible.