cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jackenheil
New Poster

Ht2000w and streaming

Hi,
I changed something on my routers settings last night and my ability to stream Netflix went away. I've tried factory resetting my tv and soft reset of the modem. I have internet connectivity because I can search the web. Amazon prime, netflix, and disney plus will no longer connect through my hughesnet service. If I use my cellular data hotspot everything works.
Can someone please help. It seems as if hughesnet isn't allowing me to stream and I do have data available. I get an error nw-2-5 from netflix that I've never gotten in last 2 years.
28 REPLIES 28
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat that they got HughesNet soley to do activities like stream videos and watch Netflix, and now that it is nearly unatainable,"

Satellite internet is not the best choice to stream videos and watch Netflix, and while it can be done with a satellite connection, it's not going to work well nor work all the time.   When they tell you that you can stream, they're not lying, but they may be telling you only one half of the truth.  Yes, you can stream, but not a lot, and not all of the time. 

They do tell you in the subscriber agreement (which is available to everyone, even non-subscribers), that basically  nothing is guaranteed. 

It's super important for consumers to do their own research, because companies, while not actually lying, will not directly tell you many things. This is the same if you're buying a car, a house, or a service.  As consumers, we're our own first line of defence.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

This is true that they do not tell you that they are not going to give you what they promise, "false advertisement" this is what it is called in your profession. Plenty of money hungry lawyers out there to take that case but anyways. I have a business that needs this internet but yet i am not aloud to use it to support my income from my business or the posting i need to put up. Example, Right now my wife is making masks for local nurses so they may be safe but she has to go to town to display them as we have no way of putting them online. I understand that hughes net does not care about those other than themself. We are a business but are being punnished for watching a video to have ideas about making better masks. Thank you for all the help to prevent  our first responders from  being able to get these possible life saving masks.

Thank you for what you and your wife are doing. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"This is true that they do not tell you that they are not going to give you what they promise, "false advertisement" this is what it is called in your profession"

They are pretty clear with their disclaimers, which are available on their site and on their legal documents -- so no, false advertisement has not taken place here.  

"Thank you for all the help to prevent  our first responders from  being able to get these possible life saving masks."

Not sure who your are using your sarcasm against here.  When the whole internet is having problems, it's not a single entity's fault.  

Any grievances against HughesNet are to be done via binding arbitration, as stated in the subscriber agreement.  Do you believe you have a legitimate grievance that you can prove (with documentation) to an arbitrator?  If so, you should  initiate arbitration right away. The procedure is explained in the subsriber agreement. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

mcleod1518 wrote:

This is true that they do not tell you that they are not going to give you what they promise, "false advertisement" this is what it is called in your profession. Plenty of money hungry lawyers out there to take that case but anyways. I have a business that needs this internet but yet i am not aloud to use it to support my income from my business or the posting i need to put up. Example, Right now my wife is making masks for local nurses so they may be safe but she has to go to town to display them as we have no way of putting them online. I understand that hughes net does not care about those other than themself. We are a business but are being punnished for watching a video to have ideas about making better masks. Thank you for all the help to prevent  our first responders from  being able to get these possible life saving masks.

If HughesNet has blocked certain sites, like Netflix, YouTube, etc.  I don't mind....as long as they'd tell me in an email, or letter, stating such. The secrecy and half-truths aren't doing HughesNet any favors.  Meanwhile, they are debiting my account for full price.  

I'm not unrealistic, I understand bandwidth is being crushed right now due to the Covid quarantine, and millions of people being home.  All I want is for someone from Hughesnet to tell me exactly what they've blocked.  This way, I know it's not an issue with my equipment and can accept what's happening.

Be safe out there!

How do you know it was HughesNet and not the part of the internet that provides it to them?

HughesNet has already said what their plan was - to prioritize the service for working and schooling at home - that would include most of the cloud and cdn services. The problem is that CentruryLink, who provides internet service to many of HughesNet's ground stations has throttled a lot of it to a trickle, which is counteracting their promise.

I know this for a fact because I have a web server that's not on HughesNet, but is also served by CenturyLink and is having the same connection problems to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc that most are seeing here. One can only guess they're doing it to streaming services as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Chcox5000
New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem here! It worked fine until April 1st. I spent 2 hours with a tech on the phone. Still no fixes. Said they'll send a new router even though everything shows I'm connected. It makes no sense. And even though they are putting education sites first, I can barely get to those either. I don't know what they did but something changed at the first of the month.
Liz

Good morning Jackenheil,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. 

We understand this is a difficult period for many of our customers affected by recent events. HughesNet has implemented numerous prioritization enhancements focused on education applications/websites and, for those working at home, many popular business and communication apps.

While it may not be immediately apparent, HughesNet, like all Internet Service Providers, is experiencing increased network traffic, which is likely to be a contributing factor to your issues with streaming. Currently, our engineers are working around the clock to keep our network stable and traffic flowing as smoothly as possible for all our customers.

This type of problem typically does not require a visit from a technician or any configuration changes of the HughesNet equipment to see an improvement. However, there are some steps you can take to adjust the settings of your streaming application or device which may help improve your streaming experience. Check out the bottom of this message for a set of links for the more popular apps/devices and their respective support pages.

If you still do not see any improvement after adjusting your streaming app/device settings, please check the following HughesNet support articles.

How do I get the most out of my HughesNet service?

Slow/No Connectivity

What is Service Plan Data? (and how is it used?)

hug2 vs hug5 Wi-Fi networks

Support pages for various popular streaming devices:

Roku

AppleTV

Amazon Fire Stick

Streaming App Settings:

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, etc. may contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that start playing, therefore that entire video may have already downloaded to your device. Make sure you’re using the latest version of the streaming app. Not all sites have a feature to turn off auto-play.

Netflix (Adjust playback quality to Standard Definition)

Facebook (Change the Autoplay option to OFF)

Android

iPhone

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!