cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughes Data Plans are Outdated and Over Priced

Highlighted
New Poster

Hughes Data Plans are Outdated and Over Priced

The subject title says it all. I have the over priced 50Gigabyte plan that allows the streaming of maybe 4-6 movies before running out of my data plan. After that the data plan is no better than DSL.  I am not a gamer. I have a friend with fiber optic service and he streams about like I do and is also not a gamer. He uses 500-550 Gigabyes each month. That is the type of data plan that Hughes should be offering at substancially lower rates than their current 50 Gigabyte plan. When does Hughes plan on coming out of the cave age and get onboard with current customer needs and true streaming requirements? I don't want to hear anything about buying tokens. That is yesterdays news in this technology market. Again, when will Hughes offer a modern 500 Gigabyte plan?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Hughes Data Plans are Outdated and Over Priced

Satellite internet is not like any of the terrestrial types of internet. It is limited and yet very expensive to put together, as it involves building a satellite and launching it into space (a much more expensive venture than laying down fiber).

Despite what you believe, HughesNet is cutting edge technology, which you can learn about if you do a bit of reading; you may also want to learn about the differences between cable and satellite technologies and the limitations of the latter. 

A 500 GB plan is probably not going to happen for years and years (100 GB is possible when they launch the next satellite).  To get the type of service you want you would have to move to a city. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Hughes Data Plans are Outdated and Over Priced

@Bose 

HughesNet fills a niche market.  They don't offer unlimited high speed plans, or even plans with 500GB of high speed data, because they can't.  Satellites have a finite throughput, and that can't be increased, no matter how much people may want it to.  If they offered such plans the entire system would slow to an absolute crawl due to everyone trying to use it for something it was never designed for... cord cutting.  

There are only two ways HughesNet could offer plans with that kind of data...

1.  Someone comes up with a technological breakthrough that allows existing throughput to increase by twentyfold or more.

2.  Greatly restrict the number of subscribers.  And in order for HughesNet to remain a viable company, each one of their relatively small number of subscribers would likely need to pay upward of $1000 or more per month for the service.  

Geostationary satellite internet can't be compared to ground based service.  It's like comparing a rare, exotic grape that travelled from the far east to get to your home to a watermelon grown in your back yard.  Or, like a country road compared to a 20 lane divided highway.  The traffic rate from the latter can't fit down the former.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro