Hughesnet Community

Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JT_Money
Freshman

Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

On top of the garbage data caps, the advertised speeds are a total lie. Tech support says "reboot your router" like I have not already done it 100 times... Anyone else as else here notice the same???
28 REPLIES 28
Skiporgnk
Freshman

Have you exceed your primary data? If so that could be why your speed is slowed down.

Re data cap exceeded... Yes. But even then the advertised speed is 1-3 Mbps, and I'm getting less than 100 Kbps.

I'm sure someone is going to read this and spew some garbage about bytes and bits... **bleep**. Consumers think in the numbers that they see on their computers. Intentionally advertising using different "types of numbers" is false advertising.

On top of the pathetic data cap policy (50GB? The average consumer uses over 200GB in a month. Oh wait, tokens... For 3 dollars a **bleep** Gig. $75 for an extra pathetic 25GB... Hughes is obviously a company whose data policies were designed to intentionally rip off their customers.)

Anyway, as I was saying, on top of the pathetic data cap policy, intentionally misleading customers about the provided internet speeds is blatant misrepresentation.

Re speed tests, a) no. And b) who the **bleep** still has Ethernet in their home??? All I have in my house are phones, tablets, and laptops. My laptop doesn't even have an Ethernet port on it, it didn't come with one. I'm not about to go out and buy some extra thing just so an OBVIOUSLY behind the times service provider can try to tell me that the current STANDARD for connecting to the internet is somehow the cause of their service being substandard...

Also, the bit about having to make sure that your data isn't being used by the service itself???? What kind of crap is that???? My PROVIDED modem could be using up my data??? Holy flaming Christ, I honestly thought my opinion of this company could not get any worse but it just did.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JT_Money

If you don't have the ability to run the tests while connected with an ethernet cable then run the tests using the HT2000W's WiFi, but ensure that NOTHING else is connected via WiFI at the time you run the tests.  

Edit:  The reps will have to verify if tests run via WiFi will be acceptable.  @Liz @Amanda  

"Also, the bit about having to make sure that your data isn't being used by the service itself???? What kind of crap is that???? My PROVIDED modem could be using up my data???"  I have no clue what you're referring to.  

Lastly, please watch your language.  This is a public site.  

To clarify my expectations, I recently moved back into my family house in the country to help out my mom with her financial issues, previously I had internet with a service provider who advertised 30Mbps speeds, and I averaged 25Mbps on my downloads. (With a TB per month data cap, by the way.) I was even paying about the same as what Hughes is charging me now for almost the same advertised service...

So what I'm asking for from Hughes isn't such a difficult thing to provide for a service provider who actually tries to provide a decent service to their customers...
GabeU

@JT_Money wrote:
I had internet with a service provider who advertised 30Gbps speeds, and I averaged 25Gbps on my downloads. 

There is presently no ISP in the United States that provides, nor advertises, speeds of 30Gbps, nor 25Gbps, nor anything anywhere near that speed.  

BTW, at a speed of 25Gbps you'd be over your 1TB data cap in just under six minutes.  

Gabu, you have no idea what you are talking about. In my area in rural South Georgia, you can get 200Mbps internet, right now.

Go do your research, "Professor"....
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

200gbps? Sure... when the worlds fastest connections aren't close to that, and a 200Gbps connection is very specialized and used for backhaul purposes between metro cities... ROFL

Yeah.... That was my bad. I got the GB data caps and the MB speeds mixed up in my posts.

I'll correct my posts accordingly.

Edited: done, again, sorry for the confusion, I meant speeds in Mbps.

To my knowledge only Google Fiber can even come close to Gbps speeds (for residential users), never mind 200...

Sincerely, sorry for misspeaking.
GabeU

@JT_Money

No problem.  

Here's the bottom line.  No one is trying to rip you off.  When compared to ground based or cell based interntet, HughesNet's throughput is considerably more limited.  Because of this limited throughput, they can't offer higher, nor unlimited, data packages.  The more data offered means more people online at any given time, and doing what most people would do with more data, which is both devices that are constantly connected and using data, and streaming, which is even worse.  Their infrastructure can't handle the higher traffic that numerous people doing these things would require, and the service would slow to a crawl for everyone trying to use it.   Think of trying to throw 50,000 cars per hour down a road that is only designed to handle 10,000.  It becomes a traffic jam.  Because of this, the data caps must be in place, and with the amounts they are.  The data caps cause people to ration their high speed data, but it's a necessary evil due to what the system can handle at any given time.  

As for the price, satellite internet is the most expensive type of internet there is to provide, per capita.  The satellites, the gateways, the fees and whatever else.  It's not cheap to offer.  Could it be cheaper?  Probably, but nowhere near as cheap as ground based services, and in the end, they're a business.  

No one is expecting you to accept bad speeds.  The speed tests not only help to verify the problem, but also help to point to the cause of it, and they're a necessary part of the troubleshooting process.  The reps/engineers can't help if they don't know what's going on.   Again, though, the reps will have to verify if WiFi speed testing will be okay, as WiFi itself can be part of the problem. 

This is such a FAQ...

First off, this is satellite internet. The technology is such that it has limited bandwidth for a limited population. Hughes provides what is fair to the people they can provide it to.

It is insane to even try to compare anything terrestrial (wired, signal-based, or fiber) to something that must go thousands of miles and back just to get to the internet, and then again to return a response.

As such, the technology is really meant for those that have literally no other option because the really greedy internet providers have determined that it's not cost effective to run anything out to you, and mobile coverage is poor to non-existant. This is a niche market and only a niche market.

So it begs the question, if you are able to obtain reliable, non-latent, unemetered 200Mbps internet via another means, why would you even choose satellite? You've clearly done the research, but still made the wrong choice, preferring to claiming a 'rip-off' instead... #brilliant

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Where I live right now satellite is the only option.

I don't care that it costs more, if the cost is reasonable (because of the current offered data caps, Hughes is not), and for the cost you actually get what speeds are advertised, within a normal expected reason of say 10-20%. If an internet provider says 20 Mbps, a normally accepted performance would be in the 15-20+ Mbps range.

When I am within my data cap, I only get 1-2 Mbps down, which is not anywhere near the 25 Mbps advertised. Likewise when out of data, I only get around 100Kbps... Not even remotely close to the advertised 1-3 Mbps.

The fact that the data caps are utterly unreasonable for the average internet consumer, and that the advertised performance is grossly overstated are my points of contention.

The fact that it is satellite is irrelevant to be conversation, because the higher inherrent latency of satellite is not a problem for me. This is the only real technological difference in satellite vs terrestrial, and is not a part of the issues that I have with Hughes.

Also, there is no such thing as unmetered internet anymore, to the best of my knowledge. Every provider has a cap, usually in the neighborhood of 250-300GB. The 200Mbps provider I referenced earlier has multiple caps, starting at 250, and going up. My friend has his family cap set to 1TB, and is only paying approximately $90 a month for that data limit and 200Mbps speed.

Satellite or not, Hughes current level of service is absolutely not worth the money, but they know that because it is so niche that they can get away with it because us remote users have literally no choice....
maratsade

"Satellite or not, Hughes current level of service is absolutely not worth the money, but they know that because it is so niche that they can get away with it because us remote users have literally no choice.... "

The price is very good for the technology. No choices? Au contraire. You can move somewhere that has cable internet.  You do have choices, and if you choose to stay, then deal with the reality that is satellite internet.  The constant complaining isn't improving your situation.

Again, it's expensive because the technology, if not the non-recurring engineering of developing, launching, insuring, and maintaining a geostationary satellite is very expensive.

And you do have a choice: Use it (and appreciate that you at least have something available to you), or don't use it and/or use something else that might be available. Nobody is holding a gun to your head, saying "Use HughesNet, or else."

Also, don't recall if it was even this thread, but I really don't understand people whinging for months or more about having to pay an ETF that essentially guarantees the cost associated with about 4 or less remaining months of a 24-month contract.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

" I really don't understand people whinging for months or more about having to pay an ETF that essentially guarantees the cost associated with about 4 or less remaining months of a 24-month contract"

The answer might be maths deficiency.

@maratsade wrote:

The answer might be maths deficiency.

Lol... I don't like paying the $5.3k out of pocket in-network deductible on my health insurance... I think that's a rip off. #facetious

Seriously tho. How many times have we seen people complain while paying for months on end for alleged 'non-service', instead of just paying forward the 4-minus months and being done with it. They end up shelling out a lot more in the long run for the opportunity to complain some more. It's self-defeating.

maratsade

Very often.  I think it's a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. Or it may just be inability to understand (and more importantly, accept) reality.

ETA:  " It's self-defeating."

YES, exactly.  That makes it quite mind-boggling.  (Also, I don't like paying for health insurance at all.  I could move back to the UK and not pay for it, or stay here and accept reality).

@MarkJFine wrote:

Lol... I don't like paying the $5.3k out of pocket in-network deductible on my health insurance... I think that's a rip off. #facetious

Seriously tho. How many times have we seen people complain while paying for months on end for alleged 'non-service', instead of just paying forward the 4-minus months and being done with it. They end up shelling out a lot more in the long run for the opportunity to complain some more. It's self-defeating.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My cost for food, gas, taxes, internet, etc. is higher than other places. I want to cancel. Oh wait.....I chose to live where I do. Never mind.

@BirdDog wrote:

My cost for food, gas, taxes, internet, etc. is higher than other places. I want to cancel. Oh wait.....I chose to live where I do. Never mind.

Lol...

I moved to my current location over 30 years ago: Was no such thing as mobile phones or internet and "cable was coming". I might get 2 bars of signal upstairs in my gym/den, cable is still coming (not really), and HughesNet still beats the pants off the two or three BBSes I used to dial into.

Incidentally, Verizon (then Bell Atlantic) hadn't upgraded the phone lines in the area 30 years ago when they were supposed to... and still haven't. They go wonky every time it rains.