Hughesnet Community

Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JT_Money
Freshman

Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

On top of the garbage data caps, the advertised speeds are a total lie. Tech support says "reboot your router" like I have not already done it 100 times... Anyone else as else here notice the same???
28 REPLIES 28
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

My cost for food, gas, taxes, internet, etc. is higher than other places. I want to cancel. Oh wait.....I chose to live where I do. Never mind.

Lol...

I moved to my current location over 30 years ago: Was no such thing as mobile phones or internet and "cable was coming". I might get 2 bars of signal upstairs in my gym/den, cable is still coming (not really), and HughesNet still beats the pants off the two or three BBSes I used to dial into.

Incidentally, Verizon (then Bell Atlantic) hadn't upgraded the phone lines in the area 30 years ago when they were supposed to... and still haven't. They go wonky every time it rains.

Was only making the point we have choices in life.

One of the things great about this country, really can pick up and move if you truly want to. Have lived in many places albeit due to the military in many cases, Still, can be done and kind of got used to it.

Where I am at now, about 15-16 years, is the longest place I've stayed in my 65 years.

Back to original point. If something is such a negative in your life......get rid of it.

@BirdDog wrote:

Back to original point. If something is such a negative in your life......get rid of it.

Oh, agreed.

The point I was getting to, but never quite got there: Having all those things is nice and you can get spoiled by the capabilities. To me, none of it is nearly worth a change of location, so I have satellite TV and satellite internet. I manage with the shortcomings of both, to include the occasional tree trimming as the environment changes and working around slowdowns due to high user demand on my gateway.

It's really a matter of priorities, focusing on the positive things instead of negative, and either changing or managing around the negatives (as you say) if you have the power to do so to make things work for you. Otherwise, people should just learn to deal with it... It is what it is.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JT_Money wrote:

The fact that the data caps are utterly unreasonable for the average internet consumer....

It certainly is a good thing that we aren't the "average internet consumer".  And aren't we lucky that we have satellite TV available to us because we don't have the data to stream like many others?

Call me crazy, but I'm just happy I can get internet where I am, and the data allotment is fine with me because I use it within its limits.  I don't expect it to be something it's not. 

And if you've got a billion or so laying around for another satellite, the launching of such, and the infrastructure to support it, I'm sure they'd be happy to increase the data plans.  Not a lot, though.  Maybe double?  If you want it to be like ground based services, it'll probably take a few.  And that's just for a while.  In a few years that won't be enough, either, so add one or two more for some cushion.  

@JT_Money wrote:

Every provider has a cap, usually in the neighborhood of 250-300GB. The 200Mbps provider I referenced earlier has multiple caps, starting at 250, and going up. My friend has his family cap set to 1TB, and is only paying approximately $90 a month for that data limit and 200Mbps speed.

Better make that, "Every ground based provider has a cap, usually in the neighborhood of 250-300GB.".  Again, you're comparing apples to oranges.  HughesNet isn't a ground based provider and can't offer a comparable package, nor price.  It's not a choice.  

GabeU

@JT_Money wrote:
Gabu, you have no idea what you are talking about. In my area in rural South Georgia, you can get 200gbps internet, right now.

No, you can't.  

GabeU

@JT_Money

First off, if you're in FAP don't bother with the speed tests.  You need to not be in FAP when you run the speed tests.   

Secondly, HughesNet is a company who data cap policies are built around what the system can handle and what's fair for its customers.  

Thirdly, no one forced you to sign up for HughesNet, and no one is forcing you to stay with HughesNet.   

Lastly, there is no false advertising with numbers.  Every ISP advertises in Mbps, and every speed test out there measures in Mbps.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Funny how a wired network connection is behind the times, when it's more reliable, and often, faster, than a wireless 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection.

Sorry, but if you want to be childish in responses, then... /shrugs/

You know, you guys are right. Not having any internet service at all is better than having your money all but stolen by a wannabe internet provider that clearly cannot provide what it says it can, and whose data policies are blatantly intended to rip off their customers.

I apologise for expecting to much of Hughes, and also for offending any delicate sensibilities with my frustrations. My bad. Here I thought folks on the internet were expected to be adults and capable of handling adult conversation...
GabeU

@JT_Money

If you'd like help with your speed issues, the reps will need some speed tests to be performed.  The instructions for the speed tests are as follows....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF