cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

Professor

Re: Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

"Satellite or not, Hughes current level of service is absolutely not worth the money, but they know that because it is so niche that they can get away with it because us remote users have literally no choice.... "

The price is very good for the technology. No choices? Au contraire. You can move somewhere that has cable internet.  You do have choices, and if you choose to stay, then deal with the reality that is satellite internet.  The constant complaining isn't improving your situation.

Assistant Professor

Again, it's expensive because the technology, if not the non-recurring engineering of developing, launching, insuring, and maintaining a geostationary satellite is very expensive.

And you do have a choice: Use it (and appreciate that you at least have something available to you), or don't use it and/or use something else that might be available. Nobody is holding a gun to your head, saying "Use HughesNet, or else."

Also, don't recall if it was even this thread, but I really don't understand people whinging for months or more about having to pay an ETF that essentially guarantees the cost associated with about 4 or less remaining months of a 24-month contract.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

" I really don't understand people whinging for months or more about having to pay an ETF that essentially guarantees the cost associated with about 4 or less remaining months of a 24-month contract"

The answer might be maths deficiency.

Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

The answer might be maths deficiency.

Lol... I don't like paying the $5.3k out of pocket in-network deductible on my health insurance... I think that's a rip off. #facetious

Seriously tho. How many times have we seen people complain while paying for months on end for alleged 'non-service', instead of just paying forward the 4-minus months and being done with it. They end up shelling out a lot more in the long run for the opportunity to complain some more. It's self-defeating.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

Very often.  I think it's a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. Or it may just be inability to understand (and more importantly, accept) reality.

ETA:  " It's self-defeating."

YES, exactly.  That makes it quite mind-boggling.  (Also, I don't like paying for health insurance at all.  I could move back to the UK and not pay for it, or stay here and accept reality).

@MarkJFine wrote:

Lol... I don't like paying the $5.3k out of pocket in-network deductible on my health insurance... I think that's a rip off. #facetious

Seriously tho. How many times have we seen people complain while paying for months on end for alleged 'non-service', instead of just paying forward the 4-minus months and being done with it. They end up shelling out a lot more in the long run for the opportunity to complain some more. It's self-defeating.

Assistant Professor

My cost for food, gas, taxes, internet, etc. is higher than other places. I want to cancel. Oh wait.....I chose to live where I do. Never mind.

Assistant Professor

@BirdDog wrote:

My cost for food, gas, taxes, internet, etc. is higher than other places. I want to cancel. Oh wait.....I chose to live where I do. Never mind.

Lol...

I moved to my current location over 30 years ago: Was no such thing as mobile phones or internet and "cable was coming". I might get 2 bars of signal upstairs in my gym/den, cable is still coming (not really), and HughesNet still beats the pants off the two or three BBSes I used to dial into.

Incidentally, Verizon (then Bell Atlantic) hadn't upgraded the phone lines in the area 30 years ago when they were supposed to... and still haven't. They go wonky every time it rains.

Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

Lol...

I moved to my current location over 30 years ago: Was no such thing as mobile phones or internet and "cable was coming". I might get 2 bars of signal upstairs in my gym/den, cable is still coming (not really), and HughesNet still beats the pants off the two or three BBSes I used to dial into.

Incidentally, Verizon (then Bell Atlantic) hadn't upgraded the phone lines in the area 30 years ago when they were supposed to... and still haven't. They go wonky every time it rains.

Was only making the point we have choices in life.

One of the things great about this country, really can pick up and move if you truly want to. Have lived in many places albeit due to the military in many cases, Still, can be done and kind of got used to it.

Where I am at now, about 15-16 years, is the longest place I've stayed in my 65 years.

Back to original point. If something is such a negative in your life......get rid of it.

Assistant Professor

@BirdDog wrote:

Back to original point. If something is such a negative in your life......get rid of it.

Oh, agreed.

The point I was getting to, but never quite got there: Having all those things is nice and you can get spoiled by the capabilities. To me, none of it is nearly worth a change of location, so I have satellite TV and satellite internet. I manage with the shortcomings of both, to include the occasional tree trimming as the environment changes and working around slowdowns due to high user demand on my gateway.

It's really a matter of priorities, focusing on the positive things instead of negative, and either changing or managing around the negatives (as you say) if you have the power to do so to make things work for you. Otherwise, people should just learn to deal with it... It is what it is.