Hughes Voice vs any other VOIP

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wyomingfly
Freshman

Hughes Voice vs any other VOIP

With the basic inalterable physics of latency, why exactly would Hughes Voice not suffer from all the same issues that any other VOIP have when running over satellite?

My experience both when calling people using VOIP over Hughes and now with me having to use Hughes is that the person on the Hughes side hears the other person quite well but the other person gets about 1/3 of what the Hughes VOIP person is saying.

The bottom line is why pay $40 more per month for the same VOIP issues?

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's supposed to be optimised for satellite; though I'm sure YMMV depending on your configuration, your beam, your location, congestion, gremlins, etc.   But their VOIP is supposed to work better than others that are not made for satellite communications. 

You don't have to pay more -- you can get whatever VOIP you want, but the one that's optimised for the satellite may work better than one that's to be used over terrestrial broadband. Ultimately it's up to the consumer what to buy or not buy. 

The VOIP user agreement states that "You acknowledge that voice quality over Internet connections may be poor due to the inability to prioritize voice traffic over data traffic, or as a result of third-party networks or the public Internet. In addition, because the HughesNet Voice Service utilizes a satellite-based Internet access service, the latency, or gap between the time when You stop speaking to the time when the other person on the call hears your voice, will be longer than with a terrestrial based system. You acknowledge that Hughes has no responsibility to troubleshoot voice quality issues on Internet connections (other than those provided by the HughesNet Service), or any third-party networks or the public Internet."  Source: http://legal.hughesnet.com/VoiceServiceAgreement/index.cfm (section 1)

One hopes consumers would read this before signing up.  But even with the caveats, some people don't have a  choice, as there may not be landlines in their area or towers for cell phones. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

wyomingfly wrote:

With the basic inalterable physics of latency, why exactly would Hughes Voice not suffer from all the same issues that any other VOIP have when running over satellite?

My experience both when calling people using VOIP over Hughes and now with me having to use Hughes is that the person on the Hughes side hears the other person quite well but the other person gets about 1/3 of what the Hughes VOIP person is saying.

The bottom line is why pay $40 more per month for the same VOIP issues?

GabeU

@wyomingfly 

In addition to @maratsade's information, I believe that HughesNet's Voice service works by utilizing its own dedicated "channel" within your service rather than riding on the same "channel" as your normal internet service.  Basically, its independent of your regular internet, whereas 3rd party VOIP service is not.   

Damian

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. In addition to what maratsade and Gabe said, we recommend using our VOIP service because we can support and troubleshoot our own equipment. It is true that latency will most certainly affect any and all VOIP services when using satellite internet, however, results may not be as severe when using our own tested equipment. Also, not all third-party VOIP services will be compatible with our service.

-Damian 

So is there a trial perriod where one can see if there really is any difference or you are just hoping the $115 is not a waste??

GabeU

@wyomingfly wrote:

So is there a trial perriod where one can see if there really is any difference or you are just hoping the $115 is not a waste??

There is no trial period for HughesNet Voice service.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It boils down to is it worth it to have something HughesNet will troubleshoot with you if there is a problem, or have something third party that they will not have any involvement with? One always has decisions only they can ultimately make for themselves.

Jonathan,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

-Damian

well its been about 24 hours since I set it up and setting aside the price, you have to dial fairly slowly and I have had 2 dropped calls in the middle but sound quality so far is fine. So significantly better than other VOIP

Jonathan,

I'm glad to hear that. If any issues arise, please reach out to us any time.

-Damian