Hughesnet Community

Hughes email will not forward to my MSN email....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Hughes email will not forward to my MSN email....

Let me preface this by saying that this isn't an overly important thing, so if a rep answers, please feel free to wait to investigate when you have a slower day (if you ever do 😛 ).  

I used to forward the Community notifications from my Hughes email to my MSN email, but a few months back it stopped forwarding them.  I was finally able to create a somewhat convoluted workaround, and that was forwarding the notifications from my Hughes email to my Gmail, then forwarding them from Gmail to my MSN email.  

I can create and send a Hughes email to my MSN address without any problem, but it will not forward the emails it receives to my MSN address.  A head scratcher, for sure.

I don't use my Hughes email for anything other than the Community notifications.  

Of course, one thing that would solve all of this and surely be a great option with the Community would be to have the ability to add an email address to have the notifications sent to.  Right now that option does not exist.  That's a separate thing, though, and not connected to my present issue.  

Thank you.  

10 REPLIES 10
Liz

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for posting. I sent a ticket up to see if the community platform can do this. Doesn't hurt to try, right?

Curious, are you able to forward anything from the HughesNet account to any other address? I'm testing this right now, and so far I've been unsuccessful. My HN email can send and receive, but it has yet to forward anything.

Edit:

1st test - fwd from HN to my work account - nothing

2nd test - fwd from HN to my Gmail - worked

3rd test - fwd from HN to my secondary work account - nothing

I guess work doesn't like getting forwarded mail. Will have to try with non corporate accounts.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Hi Gabe,

Curious, are you able to forward anything from the HughesNet account to any other address?

Only the Gmail account.  I only have three emails, those being Hughes, Gmail and MSN.  

The main problem is with automatic forwarding, meaning when I set up the forwarding through the Mail Preferences.  But, today I also tried to manually forward emails to MSN email, and it's the same thing (one exception listed below).  They will successfully forward to my Gmail address, but not my MSN address.  

So, I created a test email from my MSN account and sent it to my Hughes address.  I created and sent the same test email from my Gmail account.  So now my Hughes inbox has two emails, one from MSN and one from Gmail.  I can forward each of the emails, individually, to my Gmail address with success.  But, when I forward each of the emails to my MSN address, again, individually, only the MSN test email will successfully forward.  The Gmail test email will not.  The above, of course, is with manually forwarding, not the automatic forwarding.  But, with that said, when I firts sent the MSN and Gmail test emails to Hughes, both of them automatically forwarded to Gmail, as they should have (Gmail is what I have as the address to automatically forward to).  Yeah, it's a little goofy sending an email from Gmail and having it almost immediately forwarded back to Gmail.  LOL.  

So, whatever is going on, it looks as if Hughes is selectively choosing what to forward to my MSN address, and, again, the only success with that has been the test MSN email I sent to Hughes.  That's the only one that will forward to MSN.  This is REALLY confusing.  I think I opened a can of worms, at least with this, anyway.   

--Community notifications forwarding to Gmail?  Yes.  Both automacially and manually.

--Community notifications forwarding to MSN?  No.  Neither automatically nor manually.

--Other emails forwarding to Gmail?  Yes.  Both automatically and manually.

--Other emails forwarding to MSN?  Yes and no.  Only a test email that originated from my MSN account and sent to Hughes will forward back to MSN, and only when done manually.  

I changed the automatic forwarding address to MSN and sent an email to Hughes from MSN and Gmail.  Neither would automatically forward to MSN.  I changed the automatic forwarding address back to Gmail, sent the emails from MSN and Gmail to Hughes again, and both forwarded to Gmail.  

So, the only successful forward to MSN was a manually forwarded email that originated from MSN.  This is VERY odd.  

Again, though, the workaround works, so at least I can still receive the notifications to my MSN address.  Notifications go to Hughes email, automatically forwarded to Gmail, and Gmail is set up to automatically forward to MSN.  So, it works, though using a slightly convoluted method.  🙂

Hmmmm thanks for detailing what works and doesn't. I'll send up a ticket to our e-mail provider and see if they have any answers for this. I'll let you know if I have any news to share.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

Thank you.  It'll be interesting to see what they discover.  🙂

No dice on the secondary e-mail option, but I will suggest it as an idea in their community.

GabeU

I hope I'm not going to jinx it by saying this too soon, but it appears that the problem may have been fixed.  This afternoon I changed the forwarding address back to my MSN account and one of the Community notices forwarded.  YAY!!!  I tried about a month ago and it still wasn't working, but, again, maybe it was fixed, or it just decided to work again.  Who knows?  At least it's working again, though.  

I'll post again in a couple of days to say whether it's continuing to work or not.  

GabeU

Yippee!!!  Two days later and it's still working, so it appears that it is most definitely fixed.  

I guess Hughes' email and MSN's email have become friends again.  😛  

GabeU

Well, that lasted for about two and half months.  It appears that Hughes and MSN don't like each other again.  SMH.  I had to go back to forwarding the notification emails to Gmail, then from Gmail to my MSN mail.  

I wonder how long it will last this time.  

Hughes and MSN seem to have quite the temperamental relationship.  I think they should just go out for a beer and bury the hatchet.  😛  

maratsade

MSN should buy a couple of rounds for everyone else (Apple, Google, Verizon, etc.). Often.

GabeU

Well, as of 6:05PM this evening it started forwarding the notifications to my MSN address again.  I changed it back to MSN this morning to see what would happen, but the first forward to MSN didn't happen until 6:05PM.

But, with that said, now they aren't grouping like before.  So, if I get 20 notifications from four different threads, I get 20 separate notifications instead of them being in four "groups" of emails.  SMH.  I just can't win.   LOL. 

Maybe HughesNet and MSN are only a couple of beers in, and they'll be the best of friends after a few more.  😛