cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughes needs to setup an option for customers who either cant or are not able to use the Bonus Period

Re: Hughes needs to setup an option for customers who either cant or are not able to use the Bonus Period

Gwalk900

You summed it all up 11 months ago in your response to the VP statement pointed to by Liz.

I got a letter from Hughes.net yesterday, as a special offer to old time customers, for a $10 per month discount, but for only 6 months, and it would have a 1 year new commitment. I originally got on this site to ask why old customers were not given the same offers as new, as my speed on the HN9000 had plummeted. It became very interesting to follow the plight and frustration of so many others that had/have not received correction.  I imagine they will get the same offer, but it will be interesting to see if any of them take it.

The competition has a forum just like this, as pointed out by Charles, and the folks over there are complaining about the same loss of allotment times and the taking away of the free uploads anytime. New customers are enjoying high speeds and very courteous human service. Hopefully that will continue. LOL

Ron

Re: Hughes needs to setup an option for customers who either cant or are not able to use the Bonus Period

Howdy Everyone

I do agree with the need for at least a more advantageous use of bonus bytes.  Download Managers do not work they corrupt large downloads.  I do understand the problems of bandwidth usage Companies face, I worked in the Satellite Industry for 20+ years.  Dish Network and Directv use multiple Satellites in various orbits to help.

If you have ever noticed Dish and Directv's Dished usually have three LNBF's while HughesNet only has one 2 way LNB on their dish.  What this does is allow Dish and Directv to beam off three different orbits.  HughesNet on the other hand has only one Satellite, eg Gen4 located at 107.1 degrees West, and being a 2 way communication it would be almost imposable to use more than one orbital whether it be Gen4 or not.

I can truly understand HughesNet's delima however their fees to the consumers are very high for such limits when Dish and Directv can maintain many satellites and charge the same rate, day or night.

OK I'll get off my soapbox for now.

Honorary Alumnus

I have heard viasat has more complaints than Hughes when it comes to accuracy of usage meters.

Our speed on our HN9000 has PLUMMETED also.  It's horrible!  It's like dialup, and sometimes even worse!!  
Honorary Alumnus

You have to remember that residential service is a VERY small part of Hughes after corporate, Goverment and Military
Those get the lions share and require less "support" overhead.
Those folks have their own in house IT departments so there is no "do you have a router" and so forth.
Those are the customers that pay the bills. You don't replace a half a billion dollar satellite every 12 to 15 years from the $100 per month residential customer.
Then areas like Mexico, Central and South America also have to be served.

Gwalk 900

Their meter is in 0.1GB increments on a horizontal bar. Not known if it jumps to the next GB after it passes 0.05 GB, do you?

Matthew, a few questions...

1.  What is the source of your information?

2.  Do you know if this new satellite will FINALLY serve those of us that are unfortunate enough to be served by the Spaceway satellite?  I live west of Mississippi (just barely) in far northwest Minnesota in a very rural area.

3.  I pray it will help us FINALLY get true broadband.  Satellite is our ONLY choice here...

Thanks.

Trish
New Poster

Thanks Liz Smiley Happy
New Poster

I thought when Gen4 launched they claimed that it had so much Cap. that it would be many years before it would be overloaded like Spaceway?
Assistant Professor

Another case of something looking good on paper then reality steps in.

Plus I wonder how much is caused by the ground based side.