cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughes speed is okay, Hotspot speed is slow but Hughes buffers Youtube video hotspot doesn't buffer

Highlighted
New Poster

Hughes speed is okay, Hotspot speed is slow but Hughes buffers Youtube video hotspot doesn't buffer

I don't want to mention my wireless phone service provider name but we've been using a hotspot device and our phones as a hotspots for connecting to the internet. Testmy.net and Google Chrome both say the speed is 3-4 Mbps but we get Youtube videos without buffering, Facebook videos load smoothly, mail downloads quickly and sites generally load pretty fast. Our Hughes has 25-30 Mbps download but videos buffer all the time and other stuff runs slow. We've had 5 or 6 tech support cases get escalated to the highest level but nothing ever improves. Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Hughes speed is okay, Hotspot speed is slow but Hughes buffers Youtube video hotspot doesn't buf

@Dudemus 

About the only suggestions I can give are to lower the resolution of the stream and/or turn off or pause the Video Data Saver.  There's no guarantee as to how much, if any, either of these will help, however.  

Both congestion and the high latency inherent to satellite internet can negatively affect streaming, and the more congestion there is the worse it can be, regardless of overall service speed.  Right now it's worse than it normally would be due to the system load being so high as a result of so many more people being home and using the service and there being a prioritization policy in place to help those using working and schooling related applications, meaning that higher bandwidth, constant activities like streaming and larger file downloads can end up taking a back seat.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Hughes speed is okay, Hotspot speed is slow but Hughes buffers Youtube video hotspot doesn't buf

Thanks for your analysis. My wife does a yoga practice with a lady on YouTube and video buffering interferes with the flow. Having the resolution at 144 helps it run smoother but it just doesn't make sense. The speed tests all indicate Hughes is fast enough to stream and our phone service is too slow. But in fact it's just the opposite. We've had this issue for years but I just recently discovered we could use our cell phone carrier for our internet connection and how much better it flows. I don't understand why. I was in McDonald's parking lot the other day using their Wi-Fi and TestMy.net said my connection speed was 2.5 Mbps but I was able to stream a video with no buffering. Speed isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Highlighted

@Dudemus 

Speed is definitely only part of it.  Even with good speed there can still be congestion, which some sources don't like.  Then on top of that add the high latency, which they definitely don't like, and problems can arise, unfortunately.  

Terrestrial services, like your hotspot and what you can use at McDonald's, doesn't have that high latency for the source to contend with, so it can work much more smoothly, even if the speed is borderline what it needs to be.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

Someone told me my data goes to a center in San Diego. Does that contribute to latency? Is there a way to switch to a closer hub?

Highlighted

@Dudemus 

They were likely referring to your gateway.  Each spot beam is assigned to a specific gateway, and there is no way to change it.  The gateway is the ground station on the "other side" of the satellite from your home location.  The signal goes from your dish, up to the satellite, then down to your gateway and onto the net.  Then the reverse for the return leg.  

The total distance your signal travels (both ways), which is 90,000+ miles, plus the infrastructure along that route, contributes to the average 600-650ms latency with geostationary satellite internet.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

There used to be a nifty graphic that showed how all of that worked...