cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughes steals data daily and charges me for it

Hughes steals data daily and charges me for it

every morning between 150 and 250mb data disappears off my allotment modem has no power, computer off nothing connected to WiFi system in most cases the history show this happening before I get out of bed. I have begged for help and received nothing but excused and blaming me. I am fed up with the theft I have been begging for help for a year and half.
37 REPLIES 37
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Hughes steals data daily and charges me for it

Begging for help?
You never did respond to Liz in you previous topic from four months ago.
https://community.hughesnet.com/hughe...

That might be a good place to start.
Powering off the modem prevents it from being in communication with the gateway and keeping the meters updated.

Who is Liz and what did she want me to respond to?  Never knew she sent me anything.  Having problems for a year and a half with data depletion, and speed.  E-mail support says they can't and won't help me, Chat support sends me to phone support, When I drive into town to call phone support they want a PIN number and refuse to help me because I can't call from the house because I have no phone or mobile service at the house..  I can't do the plug the modem directly into the computer thing because I only have a WiFi Computer with NO LAN port.  I was not told I had to have a computer with a LAN port or that I had to have a phone at the house when I signed up for you guys to help me and I did ask.  So I have had no help, from you people.  I document each and every time I plug in the modem and turn on the computer and document each and every time I log off and unplug.  You guys steal more data than I use each day with rare exceptions.  I don't do much on line because I never know how much you are going to steal from me.  I have no other equipment connected to your system nothing is wifi EXCEPT my computer and when it is off, it cannot down or up load.  All I have got from you people is excuses and lies and no help.  I am truly sorry I ever signed up with you.  I'd be better off with dial up for speed and at least there I wouldn't have a problem with data theft.
All updates are configured to require my authorization, except a couple that won't let me do that.  Still if the modem is unplugged, and the computer is unplugged it cannot update, down load or up load as your people on e-mail support, chat support and even phone support seem to suggest.  Your equipment also says my modem is on all the time, which it isn't, it can't be.  I don't have the generator on all the time so there is NO POWER to them.  so tell me how you can down load or up load and use up data when I am in bed asleep BEFORE i turn on and plug everything on?
Honorary Alumnus

"Who is Liz and what did she want me to respond to?"

EDIT: It was Chris that responded to your post 4 months ago:

Liz is the corporate level forum Moderator and Hughes Employee that responded to your post four months ago. That post is linked to in my reply above.

She asked you in her post to perform a step-by-step a Modem Isolation Test.

"Never knew she sent me anything"

She never "sent" you anything although you likely would have received "copies" of replies posted to your topic.

The Community is not .... email support. It is web-based support.

You create a topic and Hughes employees and others post replies in your topic. You should periodically log into the Community, find your topic and respond/reply to the comments and suggestions made therein.

Your post above waves several red flags for me.

If you connect with only a wireless device then how did you setup the "Network" in the beginning without a wired device to first: create the network, second: enable wireless security of that network and third have your wireless device join that network?

I see a real possibility that you are running an "open network".

Next up is the type of device that you have that has no Ethernet port.

Is this by chance a ChromeBook?

If so, those are Data Hogs with a capital D. They "live" on the internet.

Next up, you are doing yourself a real disservice by powering down your Hughes Modem.

Doing so wipes out important Modem Log files that are needed to support your data loss support efforts. It also breaks the "Hughes Loop";

Your Modem when powered up is in constant communication with your assigned Gateway.

That "loop" consists of your Modem, the ODU, the satellite, the Gateway uplink/downlink equipment and finally the server assigned to handle your traffic:

When you power off the Modem that Loop is broken, data that was in transit such as data reporting and meter updates do not occur until contact is re-established sometime AFTER the next power up

The first thing is to perform a Modem Isolation Test by disconnecting the LAN cable between your router and the modem while leaving the modem power up. Take and save a screenshot of your usage meter and note the time of disconnection.

Wait several hours. Reconnect the LAN cable between the router and modem and immediately take another screenshot of your usage meter and again note the exact time.

Post the disconnect/reconnect screenshots along with the times here in the Community.

The Hughes Mods will check your Modem logs for the resulting 13.1.1 error code that will be set for the duration of the disconnect period. This will provide proof, of data used by the Modem, if any, with all of your Network devices disconnected.

Some questions:

What wireless encryption do you have enabled?

What device and OS are you using?

How did you initially create and secure your Router and network without the use of a wired computer?

What Hughes modem and plan do you have?

Edit: It was Chris that responded to your post 4 months ago.

Chris is also a Hughes corporate level employee.

Hello whitedogmum,

We're sorry this is still an ongoing issue and would love to work with you to find the problem. Could you follow the instructions provided by Gwalk titled "Data Usage Troubleshooting" so that we can get started?

Thank you,
Amanda

Last night I logged of at 330pm (mid afternoon.  My anytime data was at 75% 11288MB and my Bonus was at 84% 42413MB....This morning I plugged in, turned on at 555am...at that time the anytime data was 75% 11288 and my bonus data was 84% 42411mb....and I thought that maybe something got fixed, but when I checked the history at 8 am...it had me on line at 4am using data peaking at 5am with 116MB of data and another 88MB of data used between 5 and 6am Please remember I only logged on at 555am...so over 200MB of data was again stolen just like each and every day.  Never the same amount but more then I normally use in a day.  So there is the information you asked for.
Highlighted
Alum

Hi whitedogmum,

Are you to take screenshots and post them with the dates and times provided. That is what we need.

Thanks,
Chris
Honorary Alumnus

Which History display are you using?
This is where a screenshot pays off. There is an old display that shows usage from the perspective of eastern time.
 Also from the numbers you have posted: 11288-11288= zero used and  42413-  42411= 2mb used you had no usage deducted from your allowance. As to data showing at 4 or 5 am the question is ? is that data being deducted? Overhead is not charged against your allowance.
Distinguished Professor III

What are the devices that you use with the service?  What kind of computer?  An Apple?  A Chromebook?  Some kind of tablet?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I am not sure what you are asking.  You stole data between 4am and 6am....BEFORE I plugged in and turned on.  If you re-read my e-mail you are referring to, you will see that I was surprised that before The hour of 4am you had not stolen any data...but stole it between 4am and 6 am.  Or maybe I am not speaking American well enough for you to understand