Hughesnet Community

Hughes steals data daily and charges me for it

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitedogmum

Hughes steals data daily and charges me for it

every morning between 150 and 250mb data disappears off my allotment modem has no power, computer off nothing connected to WiFi system in most cases the history show this happening before I get out of bed. I have begged for help and received nothing but excused and blaming me. I am fed up with the theft I have been begging for help for a year and half.
37 REPLIES 37
whitedogmum

are you with Hughes or someone else? 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The only people on here that work for Hughesnet have the "Official Rep" title after their name.  The three that are most commonly on here are Amanda, Liz and Chris.  Everyone else, including the Champions, are customers, and the Champions have earned that title as they are long time members who are knowledgeable and have helped a lot of people. 

I understand your frustration and I hope the problem, whatever it is, is discovered and resolved. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Just someone who tried to offer help. If you don't want any help I will not bother you any further.

Good Luck
Ricky
Tutor

whitedogmum, I think you are confused as to who your are talking to. Everyone on here, except those with Official Rep beside their name, is a customer just like you and I.
Chris11
Alum

Hi whitedogmum,

I completely understand what you are saying. However to verify your concern. We have a process that has to be followed. Please follow the directions laid out by Gwalk above.

Thanks,
Chris
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

whitedogmum,

This Community is made up of corporate level Hughes employees and other registered members that come together to share information and experiences.

Hughes employees will have the words "official rep" after their usernames so that you know you are corresponding with a Hughes employee.

Others such as myself have the "champion" label after our usernames. This denotes recognition of a fellow user as one who has gained a level of experience and knowledge with Hughes systems and tries to help fellow users understand how to get the most from their Hughes systems. I myself am a 12+ year Hughes subscriber. That time is spread over three different systems so I have to say that I most likely have had every problem there is. There is something to be said for sharing information to help shorten the learning curve or gathering the information needed to send a users issue to the highest levels of Hughes support, be it Installation, Engineering or what have you.

You stated:

"They have made every excuse why they can't help me and blame me"

Here in the Community we are not looking for "blame", we are looking for  .... root cause.

We may ask some of the same questions as you have been asked in previous support sessions but believe me we are looking at your issue with a completely different set of eyes and experiences ... after all ... this is the equipment that I use on a daily basis.

I would like you to to set aside the "history" display that you have been using for the moment. There is a time and place for that but ... we need to determine if data USAGE is being charged to your monthly allotment properly.

To do that we need to first run a Modem Isolation Test as outlined above. The only data that is being "used" is data that is deducted from your allotment ....

We need to see if the modem is using data on its own:

This is the first step.
Take screengrabs of one of the USAGE Meters listed as #1, #2 or #3 above.
Post the results here in this thread.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Easy to do this while sleeping. Unplug LAN cable before going to bed, plug back in after getting up. Note before and after usage as Gwalk posted. If you need help on how to take a screen snip and post the pic here then we can help with that.
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Question,

Do you have battery backup or just a generator.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Reggie, I'm no longer off-grid but had both when I was.
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I think the OP only has a generator. I'm not sure if this will make troubleshooting harder.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK, was wondering who you were asking since under a sub-thread with Gwalk and I. Should have asked, never mind. 🙂
whitedogmum

Amanda.  I went through this sort of thing with your phone support over two days and they came to the conclusion after using more then 1100MB of my data, Brandon suggested that my SAN may not be correct then the second person said she would not help me because I don't have a phone at the house.  I don't know how Hughes can expect someone to spend $3000 to $5000 to install a phone line for their convenience or expect me to pay a premium price for a phone through them that I have no use for.  I don't have a phone for a reason and I don't want one besides the mobile that I can text on, but they refuse to text with me....yet keep professing that they want to help and will do any thing they can.  Also tech support with someone who has a computer with a LAN cable port was also refused. Hughes really doesn't want to help, they like having dissatisfied customers.  So There isn't much that can be done with this problem.  This morning...between 4am and 5am they have me using 137MB of data...I wasn't out of bed, the power was not on, the modem wasn't plugged in the computer wasn't turned on....yet this happens every day.  I hate this company and the daily theft and the lies they have told me over and over and cannot back up. I doubt that this community page can do anything to help. I appreciate those who have tried.
whitedogmum

I only just found that out and apologized to the person that thought I was being snappy.  I have given up and there is nothing short of legal action I can do to get the service I am paying for, o yea, install a phone line to the house which I don't need for anything other then to fight withHughes
whitedogmum

my history IS deducted from my usage.  I check it regularly, every time I log on and off as I do with the status meter
whitedogmum

yes battery back up but don't use it to keep a stupid modem up and running.  Modem is unplugged from the wall...don't want to waste energy.  LAN cable hooked to router, but since the modem has not power by not being plugged in and my power being off the router also doesn't have power so nothing is connected to the internet or the satellite. O computer is also unplugged.  I feel Hughes Net is just a big con and they don't give a rats behind about the customer. I can't wait until my contract is done
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'll just say I found a way to leave my modem on through the night when I was off-grid and HughesNet needed it to be on for troubleshooting. Hard to get help if not willing to do what they ask.
Chris11
Alum

Hi whitedogmum,

The difference here is that we need screenshots to verify what you are experiencing. Without them there is not way of proving that there is data being used based on a fault in our equipment or otherwise. You don't even need to be on the phone to run this simple test. Just take screenshots, which we will then use a reference for our back end checks. We have done this plenty of times and I am sure we can get to the bottom of what is causing your unidentified data usage.

Thanks,
Chris