cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughes steals data daily and charges me for it

whitedogmum

Re: Hughes steals data daily and charges me for it

As I have said at least 60 times in the past I have a HP Notebook which is WiFi only.  NO LAN cable port.  I have your modem connected to my router and that is it. NOTHING ELSE IS CONTACTED to your service. I do have a Dell Tablet, but it hasn't been turned on in a year when I was traveling last, which is the time I use the thing.  I have told your people this also probably 100 times.  I have NO phone here. I was not informed that they only way I could get help is if I had a computer that connected with a LAN cable nor was I told I had to have a phone at the house to get help when I signed up.  My little 10" WiFi computer is off when I unplug the modem...otherwise there is nothing connected and nothing on, yet 150 to 250 and more data disappears from my allotment each morning starting anytime from 3 am or 4 am and sometimes not until 5 am, and the same thing happens during the daytime when I am not even home.  Don't tell me someone is taping into my router, because that is impossible, since the modem is not plugged in the router has nothing to connect to, thus...cannot be used, besides it is unplugged as well at the suggestion of your chat people. AND on top of that I have no near by neighbors, the closest one is a mile or more away.
whitedogmum

the data that is used by you people between 4 and 6 am sometimes as early as 3am does come off my allotment, but I am not on line, no power to modem, no power to computer.  No way it can be used by anyone outside the house and my dog hasn't learned how to turn on the modem and computer as yet.  So tell me how it is being used
whitedogmum

yes my wireless is encrypted. Again I am using a HP WiFi Notebook computer, nothing else. I am using windows 10 and it is kept updated. Good grief, do I have to teach you how to connect to a wifi system?  I set it up by adding the router to my system with adding the password to my system.  I don't know how you would set it up with a cord, never have done it that way. I have the second modem on your list and I have the pro plan.
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say people were trying to contact me 4months ago...I was never notified that someone wanted to talk with me.  I have never received any of the phone calls people tell me they have made since I don't have a phone at the house. Is that how they tried to contact me?
whitedogmum

what instructions
whitedogmum

no not taking screen shots since no one explained to me how to do that and put them where you want them...
whitedogmum

o...the history display is YOUR history display.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"I am not sure what you are asking"

I would like to better define the difference between "usage meter" and "usage history".

Hughes provides you with a number of "tools",

Specifically:

Three USAGE METERS  and two HISTORY DISPLAYS.

What is the difference?

A usage meter can be compared to a FUEL GAUGE .... think "gallons" used and "gallons" remaining.

A HISTORY display displays volumes of  data that passed in a defined point of time.

You have a monthly data allotment.

That data allotment is divided into two periods:

Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am)

Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am)

These are your "Fuel Tanks"

In truth you really have THREE fuel tanks, Anytime, Bonus Bytes and Token Bytes

Lets look at the three Fuel Gages:

#1: The download Status Meter

The Download Status Meter is a utility that is available for download from the myAccount page.

Once downloaded and installed it will reside on your computer systray at the lower right corner.

It displays the amount of data that you have used up to the point of the screenshot.

It has a "resolution" of .1 GB (100 MB) and will round to the nearest 50 MB

#2: SCC usage meter:

The SCC meter resides inside your modem. It displays data used and data remaining in all three "data buckets": Anytime (8am to 2am), Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am) and Token Data.

The SCC meter may be accessed by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar.

#3: myAccount Usage Meter:

This meter is found after logging in at: http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

This is the most accurate of the three meters, reading down to a single MB but it does require that you have a browser actively connected to the internet and data can be used while logging in

The only time that data is being used (stolen in your terms) is when the remaining data in any of the three DATA BUCKETS in any of the above listed FUEL GAUGES.

These three meters are very close to being real-time.

Now for the two HISTORY METERS:

#1: Download Status Meter HISTORY TAB:

As a "HISTORY" this is a backwards view of ACTIVITY occurring during a defined period. This display has a one to three hour delay.

HERE IS AN IMPORTANT POINT: NOT ALL DATA IS DEDUCTED FROM YOUR DATA ALLOWANCE,

Overhead and Command and Control is not charged against your allowance.

IT IS POSSABLE TO SEE THE PASSAGE OF DATA IN THE "HISTORY" BUT NOT HAVE IT DEDUCTED FROM YOUR DATA ALLOWANCE.

#2; myAccount History Display:

This display can be seen after logging in to the myAccount page and selecting USAGE/HISTORY

As noted above this is a HISTORY DISPLAY, it is delayed one to three hours. Not all of the activity seen in the display is deducted from your allowance.

If the "activity" is not deducted from your allowance there is no "USAGE".

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

If you go to Google & type Win 10 screenshots. Or Win 10 snipping tool. You will find how to do screenshots.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

In Gwalk's response above there is a graphic that is titled "Data Usage Troubleshooting." 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

As I have said at least 60 times in the past I have a HP Notebook which is WiFi only. 

Where have you said this at least 60 times in the past?  I asked you what you have a day ago.  You said five hours ago, for the first time, that you have an "HP Notebook which is WiFi only."  

Secondly, it's not MY MODEM, nor MY PEOPLE.  I don't work for Hughesnet.  I am a customer, like you, and was simply trying to help you.

Thirdly, don't get snappy and disrespect the people trying to help you.   I asked you a question that was pertinent to the situation.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help, because after that response, I'm done. 

Good luck to you. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro