HughesNet Bonus Period during Covid-19 proving to be worthless

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larrykelly
Junior

HughesNet Bonus Period during Covid-19 proving to be worthless

I used to stay up past 2 AM to download something or just get work down. Now that's impossible. Performance so bad as to make the service useless during the so called "bonus period". 10AM to 3PM is better even when throttled. My only comfort these days is the hope of STARLINK.

14 REPLIES 14
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@larrykelly 

The system is definitely taking a hit with the huge increase in traffic, that's for sure.  They've implemented a prioritization policy for work and schooling and increased the speed of FAP in an attempt to help, but even those things are being hampered by that traffic increase.

Is it some type of video or file transfers you're having an issue with, or general browsing types of activities?  The latter should still be okay, for the most part.

It has consistently been the loss of ability to download any video. Last couple nights, even opening an internet site in my browser was periodically timing out. Modem lights occasionally going dark to eventually return. (weather good). I haven't been able to download an update for iTunes for weeks regardless of time of day. 

GabeU

@larrykelly 

Though streaming and file downloads are a known issue right now, both as a cause of the high congestion that prioritization policy, you shouldn't be having problems with most websites (graphics intensive ones might take a while), and you definitely shouldn't be having problems like that with your modem.  I'm not sure about iTunes, though it might be caught up in the same things as the streaming and file downloads.  

You've been around here for a while so you probably already know to try this, but just in case you don't, try power cycling your modem.  That means unplugging it at the wall outlet, waiting for at least 30 seconds, then plugging it back in.  Then, after about five minutes, try your online activities again.  

I'm more hoping that this will help with the modem issues, but it may also help with the other problems, or at least the websites and the iTunes update.  Hopefully.  

If you keep seeing the modem lights going out, please definitely say so, as the reps will probably need to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see if anything is wrong with it.  They won't be back until Monday, though.

I will try again tonight. Power off/on as necessary. I've only had the mostly unusable situation and the lights going off in the wee hours of the morning ... even though I was in the bonus period with plenty of my bonus quota left. System status did show as downgraded yellow, not red. I'm wasting a lot of money paying for NETFLIX and AMAZON PRIME and not being able to download a single thing, not even at 3AM. I have been a HughesNet customer for ten years. The only internet choice in my isolated area is satilite... for now.

GabeU

@larrykelly 

Unfortunately, the streaming issue may continue for a while.  😞  

I have Prime and Netflix as well, though Prime mostly for the fast shipping.  I use PlayOn Cloud for my Netflix so I can watch it without buffering and keep what I've downloaded, though I haven't streamed anything for a few months, as I don't stream very much in the first place.  I imagine the PlayOn Cloud file downloads would take a while right now as well, so I haven't tried, though if I see something on Netflix that I really want I may.

maratsade

You imagine correctly. These days it's hit and miss with POC, likely because of congestion. 

@GabeU wrote:

I imagine the PlayOn Cloud file downloads would take a while right now as well, so I haven't tried, though if I see something on Netflix that I really want I may.

So it's 2:20AM when I captured the statistics in the attached photos. After a modem reboot. Modem lights fine. Should be the fastest time of the day for me, but has become constantly the worst.

B6D3F65D-366D-42C6-B8A5-3284D4AA82B5.jpegE7B730A5-6158-4F11-A9C2-3ABB7CFDB62B.jpegAB45AD78-4CCB-46F4-B37A-79B402F2C7D4.png

maratsade

Just guessing, but I imagine you're not the only subscriber using the system during bonus hours. Congestion is affecting us all (though this doesn't make your situation any more palatable, of course). 

GabeU

@larrykelly 

That's definitely terrible.   

If you could, three pieces of info would help from this modem page. 

1.  The State Code listed in the System Summary box near the top of the page.   Both the number and the description after it.

2.  The first eight digits of your IP Gateway Association State after the "IPGW" in the System Status box in the middle.  For an example, mine is J2ROS051.  

3.  Your Satellite Receive Signal Strength in the WAN Info box on the bottom left.  

If everything looks okay with these, the next step would be a few speed tests at testmy.net using these instructions.  #2 is more to see if you're on one of the known, occasional "problem" beams/gateways, though that wouldn't necessarily explain your speed issues.

I'll try in a couple days. Got a sleep lab at the hospital tonight. Will return to my night owl ways shortly. 

Good morning Larry,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

EDIT:

Reopening thread. Thanks for reaching out to me, Larry.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I set out to do that this morning, but when the apparent speed as the clock struck 2AM appeared to be kickstarted, I did something else, downloaded and installed NORTON 360 which I could not do during the day and which was expiring in 8 days. Happy to say by 4AM the updated licensed software was successfully installed and I'm good for another year. Then I went to bed. 

I will try the original plan in a few days as I catch up on my sleep, but my recent experience tells me speed may vary greatly night to night, and though much more difficult, imperitave work can still be accomplished.

My future and that of Elon Musk are in lockstep😊.

maratsade

I have the worst time with Norton 360.  It takes me days to find the right time to do updates or to install the software on a new computer.  Ditto downloading anything from Microsoft, though MS works better in the wee hours. Norton seems to have issues at any time of the day.

GabeU

@larrykelly 

I should add that right around 2AM your speeds can take a significant hit, as this is when so many others are getting online to do things like large file downloads and system updates.  It normally calms down after a while, but can pick back up again on the hour as the other time zones are reaching 2AM.  Normally it's not terrible, but right now, with the system being under the load it is, it can be.  Still, it doesn't hurt to check those things I asked about and run a few speed tests at other times of the day using those instructions I gave, if your state code and signal are okay.