Hughesnet Community

HughesNet Does Not Suck!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GetSatMan

HughesNet Does Not Suck!

I've been with HN since Direcway some 10 or 11 years ago and have learned over this time to manage my bandwidth pretty well. But this month between iOS updates and then a new gizmo called Lyve Home (photo storage and sharing) I managed to completely blow my Anytime Data allottment. So I applied I think 2.5GB of Token Bytes which took-over as hoped when Anytime ran out. Got down to 775MB left in Token before a new month came and all's up to 10/50 again.

Anyway I'm pleased (and somewhat amazed) that it all worked: the Token Bytes application, the reportage via Status Meter, the seamless transition, the coming-out party at month's end.

For a gear-head like me who knows all the history and seen all the warts and stumbles, it's gratifying to know that HN has gotten their act together after all these years. I hope this post doesn't cause the Gen4 satellite to fall out of the sky.

😉
27 REPLIES 27
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Mine also works well. When it doesn't there is a reason why and procedures to pinpoint that reason.
All those years at 250 MB per day taught me how to squeeze a byte and get 10 bits change.
Mordacious

With the new equipment you can expect more of this. Good to see someone post some good things for once.

I was lucky enough to have a preview of the satellite that will be launched later this year. 

Mordacious

byte-bit.... clever
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I've generally had very good service since joining Hughesnet in 2004.  When I upgraded to Gen 4, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was much better than what I had expected.  It's nice when you have a service that turns out to be much more than what you had hoped for. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

All gets back to the majority of people who are very unhappy came from broadband cable or fiber which also has very high caps, if any. They never had to learn what data is, how to manage it and what different things consume. I came from dial up to satellite so was never spoiled by cable, fiber or even DSL. I appreciate what I have living in the boonies.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Just today, I put together a DIRECTV order for a customer about four miles out of town and checked Internet bundling options. What came back was a offer for a $50/mo. AT&T DSL plan with a blistering download speed of "up to" 1.5 Mbps. Reading the fine print revealed a monthly data cap of 150 GB.

Seems satellite Internet service and pricing is starting to compare favorably with some of its ground-based competition, at least in some parts of the country...
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
GetSatMan

Same here. I dunno how we ever managed to get-along with just 200MB a day as with the older Gen.

Don't tell anybody, but my DL speeds are consistently 2x as advertised--always around 20Mbps.

I only come-around here to help-out occasionally, and to research for my new book "How NOT To Complain!".

😉
Liz

I'm loving this entire thread. Thanks, GetSatMan! We're happy you're happy with the HughesNet service. We appreciate you helping out around the community, too, it's a more useful place when people like you participate. 🙂

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Mordacious

But it's always easier to blame Hughesnet rather than do the work it takes to get those Dl numbers. My DL numbers have been about 2x as advertised since I took the time to learn about satellite and how to get the most for my buck.

"How NOT to Complain"

Chapter One
Put on your Big Boy Pants!
GabeU

I never thought I'd see a day when they capped DSL.  Sheesh! 
Mordacious

It's all a result of users abusing streaming. Watching Netflix and DTV 224/7 at HD are over taxing the resources available. I imagine that even a land based system has limitations as to how much they can deliver.  Companies have to do something to protect their investments. The internet was never meant to be a substitute for TV. When you abuse something eventually there will be limits set. Netflix has a free delivery system for their movies. They charge for the service but have no expenses when it comes to maintaining the delivery system. Great for Netflix, bad for the ISPs.
GabeU

I was saying that thinking that as time goes on and people want to stream more and more, they would move to a system that is more amenable to doing so, such as cable and fiber, when and where available.  I never really thought that something like DSL would ever reach the point that it needed to do that, but I certainly do understand that a system can eventually become overloaded, especially with things becoming more dependent on higher and higher speeds.  Understandable, just somewhat surprising, especially considering that the majority of DSL subscribers have lower speed accounts.  Again, understandable, just surprising.     
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

One can stream A LOT of video in SD or low at 1.5-2 Mbps. I can see where even DSL would implement restrictions to stop abuse.
GabeU

True.  It says a lot about us doesn't it?  I wonder what people did before streaming, or the internet, for that matter.  LOL. 
Mordacious

We socialized in person. Can you imagine it????? Actually meeting people one-on-one? Going to a social function, a dance to meet people rather than talk on the net and not really know who you are talking to. I mean really, why meet someone face-to-face when you have this great tool?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Love my file size versus time calculator: http://www.download-time.com/

A person could at steady 2 Mbps download 100 GB in 119 hours (5 days).  Or 119 hours would be about 4 hours a day for a month. I enjoyed math in school.  : )

Mordacious

The family dog didn't play with you much did it?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Only when they tied a pork chop around my neck. Point is, easy to burn through a lot of data doing video streaming, even at lower speeds. Most likely why some DSL providers will start implementing caps as Alan said.
GabeU

Meeting people in person?  Going to a social function?  Surely you jest!  It's amazing how a technology that is always touted as bringing us all closer together has actually had the completely opposite effect.  It's interesting to be a part of the last generation to actually socialize face to face. 

A friend of mine has nearly a thousand friends on Facebook, while I have 38.  He asked me what the problem was and why I had so few, and I told him that even though I had only 38, I know every single one of them very well and face to face.  He couldn't say the same about 20 of his. 

I am glad I was born in '72 rather than '92. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

LOL, I graduated high school in '72. You're a young'in.