Hughesnet Community

HughesNet Does Not Suck!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GetSatMan

HughesNet Does Not Suck!

I've been with HN since Direcway some 10 or 11 years ago and have learned over this time to manage my bandwidth pretty well. But this month between iOS updates and then a new gizmo called Lyve Home (photo storage and sharing) I managed to completely blow my Anytime Data allottment. So I applied I think 2.5GB of Token Bytes which took-over as hoped when Anytime ran out. Got down to 775MB left in Token before a new month came and all's up to 10/50 again.

Anyway I'm pleased (and somewhat amazed) that it all worked: the Token Bytes application, the reportage via Status Meter, the seamless transition, the coming-out party at month's end.

For a gear-head like me who knows all the history and seen all the warts and stumbles, it's gratifying to know that HN has gotten their act together after all these years. I hope this post doesn't cause the Gen4 satellite to fall out of the sky.

😉
27 REPLIES 27
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I know, I know.  We had an easier time growing up than you, with our fancy electricity and all.  Neener neener neener.  LOL. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Not easier, it is all relative. I grew up in the "duck and cover" era, always told the Soviets were going to nuke us. Even played in some bomb shelters. A bit like now with the terrorists.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Me, too.  I remember the drills very well.  Our local grocery store's basement doubled as an authorized bomb shelter, though I don't know how good of a job it would have done.   
cynusps2002
New Poster

I also have been with Hughesnet when it was Direcway. Great service and the speeds have greatly improved.They are constantly finding new ways to improve. That means to me they don't take their customers for granted. 🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

'72 ?
'66 here.
Mordacious

'69 here
GetSatMan

It has been my belief that of the unhappy users there are the Clueless who don't understand or don't care about the limitations of satellite, and there are the Unfortunate who have installation problems (mis-pointing, unsecure mounts, bad cabling, electrical interference, defective modems, tree or building interference, etc). I suppose too that among the Clueless are so very many people who don't realized they have not only PCs but also smartphones and tablets and game consoles and DVRs and SmartTVs and... ad nauseum that are relentless in their designs to access the 'net silently inthebackground 24/7.

I have only had two installations, the original Direcway dish and then more recently the Gen4 upgrade dish, and both have been (apparently) properly done. And since I am not among the Clueless I've learned to live with (and manage my devices) within the limits of Satellite transmission.