HughesNet Gen5 issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MimiJules
Sophomore

HughesNet Gen5 issues

I have had Hughes Net Gen5 for a couple of months now, since June of 2017. At first it was fine but over the past couple of weeks it has been spotty at best in a couple of ways. First way is speed and usage of the service. In this end it has been not loading pages and YouTube videos at all during a certain time frame. That time frame has been starting @ 9p.m. and going until11 p.m. and at times later than that. I thought it was the wireless device I had until I noticed the same problems on my desktop connected through an Ethernet cable. Then at times the computer worked while the wireless device did not. And other times the wireless device worked while the computer did not. Tonight for example, I watched two YT videos on the wireless device and then no others after that worked, so I turned on my desktop. Got on YT and answered several comments no problem and watched a video. Then all of a sudden, it quit working, not loading pages at all. It loaded HughesNet forum in HTML format and said the DNS server could not be reached. I created a testmy.net account and did a speed test. It gave me results of 1.5 mbps download speed. So I tried to sign in to the forum to get some solid answers to this issue I have been having.

This brings us to the second issue. The password I created months ago was not accepted when trying to sign in to the forum, or the HughesNet main page. I actually had to call tech support to get here to type this now. I got here by using the default password, welcome10, as it would not accept the password I created months ago when I signed up for service. Why? The password has been changed obviously to the password I used when signing up for the sevice, the one it would not accept earlier tonight. What on earth is going on here? Why at times can I watch YT videos and other times cannot? Why does the service quit working all together, at times? Why was my original password not accepted?

Phone tech support was somewhat helpful but still focused on download speed as she could not tell me why it would not accept the password I created months ago, I assume for security reasons. I am sure the password was typed correctly as I tried several times, up to 6 or 7 times to sign in. I actually consider it a miracle that I am here typing this now. I also understand that there are times when things will be slower and don't expect it to be perfect but when I need to get answers and I can't sign in or view webpages at all there is severe problem. I have tried everything and oftentimes get tired of resetting my browser and computer as well as modem, which I have had to do everyday now for a couple of weeks. The phone support said I need to reboot the modem at least once a week otherwise these issues will happen. Is that true? If so why is that not in the support sheet that comes with the modem?

I hope this makes sense as I am frustrated and may not be putting things in the correct order, however I did try my best to do that to help you guys understand. But I know there are some people on here who can help in this issue. I appreciate your guys time and thus far have not created an account to use the forum as resetting things seemed to work, but it's getting old, fast.

Again I appreciate you guys's time in this matter. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Liz

Hi MimiJules,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. The community can certainly help address your various concerns. The information you provided is helpful, I'd like to delve a bit more to better assist.

1. Are you trying to watch YouTube videos in HD?

2. If you want to watch in HD, please disable the Video Data Saver feature by following the steps here. Please remember that watching HD videos will use significantly more data, so your monthly data allowance will run out faster. 

3. Please post your testmy.net results url, it may look like testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

3. I'm not sure what happened with your password, but now you have the option to reset your own password, just look out for the Forgot Password link on the login page.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you for the respons Liz, I have seen the effort you go into in helping others and knew I would get some answers to help in the issues I am experiencing.

1: No I always try to watch them in 360p to save data and for a better experience. Albeit sometimes they load in 720p and I usually catch it soon. It has worked fine until the past couple of weeks for some reason always between the time frames mentioned in original post, 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.

2: I will post the testmy.net results here (the username is different than what I use here as there are two people using the service here and my son created the testmy.net account to try to help in the issue) http://testmy.net/results

I hope I pasted that right, if not let me know. So far since testing with testmy.net at 9:45 p.m. is when it showed a crawl. After and before that time frame (9:00 p.m. to 11p.m.) it works great with above advertised speeds according to those results.

3: I understand you may not be able to help with the password. It worked tonight, for some reason it did not before. Don't know why and probably won't. That's okay as it is a security issue, I understand. Hopefully it continues to work so I can at least access the community here.

Again thank you for the effort Liz and await a response when you get back to the office or work on Monday.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MimiJules

Regarding #2, while signed into the account at testmy.net that you are using for your speed testing, click on the Results tab on the upper right.  Then, when you are on the Results page (you should see all of your speed test results there), copy the URL in the address bar and paste it into a reply on here. 

Ah, thank you Gabe. Will be posting the proper link in this reply.

Testmy.net results: http://testmy.net/quickstats/wildman

Tried twice to sign in tonight at 9:04 and at 9:06 P.M. but it timed out. This is the first time I have been able to test my speed at the time I have been experiencing the slowdowns, and it shows 544Kbps and 519Kbps on Testmy.net. This is the issue I have been experiencing for a few weeks now. I will keep testing the speed and hoping that someone responds to help in this issue as it's getting frustrating. Yes right now there are clouds but during some torrential downpurs during the first two months we had the service I was able to upload 1 Gb videos to youtube with no issues, so something doesn't seem right. Below are the most recent speed tests from testmy.net

http://testmy.net/quickstats/wildman

Good morning MimiJules,

Thank you for posting back, no need for further testing, please save your data. After recent meetings, looks like you're in the same boat as those in beam 68. Fortunately, we do have a plan of action for you, we are just pending further direction from engineering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hey, @Liz, do you think we could get a list of beams that are having this performance issue, as well as quick instructions on how to check for our Beam ID?  Would be more beneficial than telling someone on a beam that is having serious issues to run useless speedtests... Just saying... >.>