HughesNet Installation Grounding Question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voteks
New Poster

HughesNet Installation Grounding Question

I am very pleased so far with HughesNet service - but wanted to check in and see if this installation looks correct. See pictures I've attached. The grounding has been attached to the electrical box and all connections are exposed outside my home. Does this look safe to everyone?

IMG_0191.jpgIMG_0192.jpgIMG_0193.jpgIMG_0194.jpgIMG_0195.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Voteks 

I think I probably would have attached the ground wire to that grounding pole a little more securely, but other than that it looks fine, and even that's probably okay with the way it's snaked through the hole in the plumber's strap and then wrapped back around.  The fittings on the coax itself are waterproof, so nothing is exposed that shouldn't be.  

Glad you're liking the service so far.  I've had it for about 14.5 years, and other than a little, short lived speed snag about eleven years ago it's worked well for me.  🙂 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Voteks 

After a closer look, I'm inclined to agree with gaines_wright, in that the grounding of the system should probably be more properly performed.  However, for safety's sake, and the sake of any regulations concerning the installation of the HughesNet equipment, I would wait to see what a HughesNet representative has to say regarding such.  

I do not like the way the ground wire just seems to be wrapped around a pipe strap.  Looks to me like a loose connection just waiting to happen.  Since that connection is only inches away from an electricial box I would run the ground wire up into the box and attach it to a terminal on the ground bus.

Liz

Hi Voteks,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! So glad to see you're pleased with the HughesNet service. We definitely want to get one of our experts here to have a look at your install pics, so I've tapped @Freddie, one of our field services guys, to join the thread with his input. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Good morning Voteks,

Thanks so much for your patience. I have to help Freddie with his account so he wasn't able to post himself, but he did look at your pictures and said "The installation looks good. I don’t see anything unsafe or hazardous from the photos. Additionally, the technician tested the customer’s outlet and it is correctly wired/grounded." Hope that clears things up for you!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz wrote:

Good morning Voteks,

Thanks so much for your patience. I have to help Freddie with his account so he wasn't able to post himself, but he did look at your pictures and said "The installation looks good. I don’t see anything unsafe or hazardous from the photos. Additionally, the technician tested the customer’s outlet and it is correctly wired/grounded." Hope that clears things up for you!

I've been retired 15 years now, after working in industry for over 36 years, 20 years as an industrial electrician.  I'm appalled that just wrapping a ground wire around a steel pipe strap is now considered proper grounding.  This would have never have passed muster back in my day. 

Good morning gaines_wright,

Thank you for sharing your insight, that's very interesting. I've sent your feedback along to our field services department. Thank you!