cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stanulg52
New Poster

HughesNet MODEM

Hi everybody :

When I signed up for HughesNet,   I mentioned the fact that I have 2 TVs and 2 PCs.   Apparently, the MODEM I received ONLY "serves" one device.   I think I was lied to.  On top of what I'm paying for service,  do I have to spend a fortune to get "whole house" coverage ?   The bedroom TV  receives a decent signal from the MODEM.  But, the signal to the living room TV freezes up and buffers every few minutes. The advice I received from HughesNet Support said,  "Oh....that's normal". If this dilemna isn't corrected,  I'm probably going to have to CLOSE my  account.  Was it a mistake signing up to HughesNet ?

stanulg 52

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@stanulg52 

The reps are only telling you what the modem can handle.  They don't know the makeup of your home and whether all devices can get an adequate WiFi signal where they are.  The modem also serves multiple devices, though those devices have to be within range.   

You can check the WiFi signal at each device by using the HughesNet Mobile app, which you can get at both Google Play and the App Store for Android and Apple devices, respectively.  I don't have an Apple device, but with the Android version the WiFi signal strength test is the middle icon when you press the orange plus sign on the lower right.  If you're using both WiFi bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz), make sure your mobile device is connected to the same band of the device you're checking in the area of.  i.e. if you're checking the signal strength at the location of a TV, and the TV is connected via the 2.4GHz band, make sure the mobile device you're testing with is connected via the 2.4GHz band, as well.  The same would go for a device connected via the 5GHz band. 

Keep in mind that the 2.4GHz band has better range, so if your devices are connected via the 5GHz band and the signal isn't strong at their given location, you should try changing them to the 2.4GHz band.  Nearly all devices that can connect via 5GHz can connect via 2.4GHz, though the opposite can't be said.

If your signal strength at the devices is not good, you may want to think about using your own, 3rd party router that has better range, or you may want to take a look at the HughesNet WiFi booster, which can extend the WiFi range in a specific general direction.

If your signal strength at the devices is fine, the issue may be due to congestion.  Congestion tends to be highest in the evenings, and streaming in the evenings may be touch and go because of it.  With this said, if you're having trouble streaming on a single device that has adequate WiFi signal, please let us know, as there is some troubleshooting that can be done.

GabeU :

On the back of the MODEM that I have, there's a listing of  hugh2 / hugh5.  My bedroom TV is a Sharp ROKU TV.  The living room TV is a Sony 42" non-smart TV, with a Fire TV box connected.   The Sony TV,  using the Fire TV box,  does buffer movies every 2 minutes.  Whereas, the Sharp TV has no problem.   The MODEM is located in the bedroom where the Sharp TV is located, so there really is no buffering problem.   One problem is, that both TVs don't have  etheret ports.  They use WiFi.  So, apparently, the MODEM that I have isn't powerful enough to "cover" my entire house.  I just have 2 TVs and 2 PCs.  But, would a signal booster REALLY work ?.  Or should I consider a compatible MODEM with WiFi capability ?    As far as the living room TV,  I tried both hugh2 and hugh5 ,  and the movies STILL buffer.  Advice ?

stanulg52

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@stanulg52 

Using another modem isn't an option.  The HughesNet HT2000W is the only modem that can be used.

The HughesNet WiFi Booster may work if the devices that aren't getting a good signal are in one general direction.   The way the booster works is that it's placed halfway between the HughesNet modem and where the WiFi signal becomes unusable, and it extends the signal in that general direction.  If your items are spread out, however, it's not really the way to go.  

They do make inexpensive range extenders, but I don't know how well they work with the WiFi of the HT2000W, or if they do at all.  

Your best option for range issues, in my opinion, would be to use a 3rd party WiFi router with adequate range.  If you need to get one, make sure to play close attention to what it shows for range, and it would be a good idea to scour the reviews to make sure you're getting a good one.   

Keep in mind, though, that stronger WiFi won't help with buffering being caused by congestion or speed issues.  

Also, just in case you aren't aware of it, if you're streaming in HD you may need to turn off, or pause, the Video Data Saver in order to reduce or stop buffering.  With that said, streaming is a very data intensive activity, especially when it's done in HD.  I only mention it in case you're trying to stream in HD and having issues no matter what device you're using.  

One other thing, in case your service is very new --- HughesNet continually refills your data allotment for your first twenty days of service.  They do this as a courtesy, in order to allow new customers to update or upgrade their devices to current without it affecting their monthly data allotment, as those activities can use a lot of data.  Once the twenty days are over the continual refills will stop and your data usage will start being deducted in the normal fashion.  So, if you're still within your first twenty days and your data levels aren't dropping, even after streaming, this would be why.  Streaming uses a lot of data, especially when done in HD, so if you do stream on a regular basis make sure to keep a close eye on your data, as it can run out quickly.