HughesNet Community

HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem

Here is a record of this current problem.

 

Record begins.

 

Case ##124526040

Had issue with low speeds in evening.  400K speeds.  Was switched to different satellite.  Speed problem solved, however, now am experiencing very high and wildly swinging ping times.  Between 800 ms and 44,000ms!!!!!!!!!!!!  (That 44,000 was only recorded once.  Usual upper limit is 5,000 ms)

 

At times, websites like Facebook won't load and any kind of streaming is impossibly stuttered.

 

Called Tier 1 support.

 

First call.  Weather was blamed.

 

Second call same day.  Weather was blamed.

 

Third call next day (Next day (10-18-19).  Disconnected

 

Called back.  Represetative clearly did not speak English natively and had some communication problems.  Representative said case has been escalated to Engineering department and that I would receive a call tomorrow in the AM. Reference #124564944.  Very oddly the representative asked me what I had for dinner.


Engineering called back 10-21 in the afternoon. Heavy storm overhead. Have to call back.


Called back 10-22 1:37 PM. Told Tier 4 Representative about ping problems.  I told him that ping was wildly swinging between 800ms and a record 44,000 ms.  I also said that I never had this problem on the old satellite.

 

Representative said he would not do anything about it, said 2000+ latency is just the way that it is. (Not a direct quote)

 

I acknowledged that he refused to do anything about it.  Representative thanked me for calling HugesNet Support.

 

End of record.

 

So bascially HughesNet Tier 4 told me to go suck an egg.  They won't do anything about it.

 

Great customer service.

 

Wish there was another company in my area.  Will keep looking and hoping.

79 REPLIES 79


@GabeU wrote:

@lighthope1 

 

I think the problem you're going to have is that you're dismissive of anything anyone tells you, even when factual, if it doesn't fit the narrative you've invested in, which is that the problem is HughesNet's and that need to fix it.  The issue is out of their control.

 

Good luck to you.


What issue?  HughesNet says there is no issue.  That it's normal and to be expected.

 

Good luck to these HughesNet employees if their manager ever sees how they addressed this problem.

Still no contact from HughesNet.  No data suggesting that there is any follow-through or investigation into extremely high latency spikes.

 

Still getting 10K+ latency spikes.  Facebook won't load.  (Though Facebook has its own issues.  It's so full of bloat and spyware, likely it is timing out due to this latency problem.)

 

I'll give this some extra time before I file my written report to see if they actually do anything.  Giving every chance possible.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Where are you getting your latency measurements?  And where do you plan to file your written report?


@maratsade wrote:

Where are you getting your latency measurements?  And where do you plan to file your written report?


I have several tools to measure latency. Some are in-programme, some are from testmy.net, some from other stand-alone mesurement tools.

 

The report goes to HughesNet corporate and will also be published publicly.  I have kept a written log of every interaction I have had regarding this issue including the names of people.  I will be naming names, both of those who have been helpful and those who have not been.

 

HughesNet can decide if this has been acceptable customer service or not.  And, of course, others can as well.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Has HughesNet made any offers to you? (discounts, for example)

 


@lighthope1 wrote:


I have several tools to measure latency. Some are in-programme, some are from testmy.net, some from other stand-alone mesurement tools.

 

The report goes to HughesNet corporate and will also be published publicly.  I have kept a written log of every interaction I have had regarding this issue including the names of people.  I will be naming names, both of those who have been helpful and those who have not been.

 

HughesNet can decide if this has been acceptable customer service or not.  And, of course, others can as well.


 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@maratsade wrote:

Has HughesNet made any offers to you? (discounts, for example) 


From the look of it....

 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Tier-4-support-refused-to-help-with-unusua...

 

"I see that our representatives have already applied a monthly discount to your account, as a form of compensation. Currently, this is the extent of what can be done."


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro


@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Has HughesNet made any offers to you? (discounts, for example) 


From the look of it....

 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Tier-4-support-refused-to-help-with-unusua...

 

"I see that our representatives have already applied a monthly discount to your account, as a form of compensation. Currently, this is the extent of what can be done."


In the very next post, I stated that the discount applied was for "the months of detrmental speeds (400K mbps was the lowest recorded speed), and had nothing to do with the high latency that is being experienced now".

 

So no, I have received no compensation for the high latency spikes.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@lighthope1 wrote: 

In the very next post, I stated that the discount applied was for "the months of detrmental speeds (400K mbps was the lowest recorded speed), and had nothing to do with the high latency that is being experienced now".

 

So no, I have received no compensation for the high latency spikes.


My mistake.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro


No they have not.  Not for this issue anyway.
@maratsade wrote:

Has HughesNet made any offers to you? (discounts, for example)

 


@lighthope1 wrote:


I have several tools to measure latency. Some are in-programme, some are from testmy.net, some from other stand-alone mesurement tools.

 

The report goes to HughesNet corporate and will also be published publicly.  I have kept a written log of every interaction I have had regarding this issue including the names of people.  I will be naming names, both of those who have been helpful and those who have not been.

 

HughesNet can decide if this has been acceptable customer service or not.  And, of course, others can as well.


 


 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

 

Thank you, Lighthope.  Earlier on in the thread, you had posted that "I also tried the command prompt ping test. That comes out at 600ms fairly consistently. So now we have to ask the question: Why does a ping test come with low ping, but streaming data have such problems."

 

Are there specific pages (like the ones you had linked to upthread) that have issues loading, or does everything load slowly or fail to load?

 

ETA: you don't have to respond if you don't want to.  I'm just curious, as a subscriber, about the experiences of fellow subscribers. 

 

 

 

 


@lighthope1 wrote:

No they have not.  Not for this issue anyway.

 


@maratsade wrote:

So now we have to ask the question: Why does a ping test come with low ping, but streaming data have such problems."


...CenturyLink's sporadic 1-minute(+) drop outs. I see it all the time.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It wasn't me asking the question, @MarkJFine .  I was quoting Lighthope. 🙂

Edit: but it does appear that CL is right messed up. 

I know... was just reinforcing my earlier comment that others don't want to accept.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

While we're discussing this, just got this error from my server's cron:

 
Fatal error: Uncaught cURL Lib: [28] Operation timed out after 59999 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (TwitterOAuth\Exception\CurlException) thrown in /usr/home/xxxx/xxxx/vendor/ricardoper/twitteroauth/src/Common/Curl.php on line 130

 

I get one of these every time my bot fails to connect to Twitter on just a few hops via CenturyLink.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That's nuts. And it's getting worse, isn't it?

 


@MarkJFine wrote:

While we're discussing this, just got this error from my server's cron:

 
Fatal error: Uncaught cURL Lib: [28] Operation timed out after 59999 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (TwitterOAuth\Exception\CurlException) thrown in /usr/home/xxxx/xxxx/vendor/ricardoper/twitteroauth/src/Common/Curl.php on line 130

 

I get one of these every time my bot fails to connect to Twitter on just a few hops via CenturyLink.


 

 

Pretty much.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.


@MarkJFine wrote:

I know... was just reinforcing my earlier comment that others don't want to accept.


You must be referring to HughesNet since they don't see a problem.


@lighthope1 wrote:

You must be referring to HughesNet since they don't see a problem.

No... You. The absolute last thing I'm going to say on the matter:

 

If Facebook is having a problem, should HughesNet assume responsibility and acknowledge that as well? Because that's precisely the same thing as what you're insinuating. The problem is so much larger than HughesNet that you're having a problem comprehending that.

Bottom line: Your internet works from you to HughesNet, to CenturyLink, to whomever, to Facebook, and back. HughesNet's responsibility to you is just that, between them and you. Anything beyond that is OUT OF THEIR CONTROL.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.


You already said you were going to stay out of this thread, @MarkJFine. Please stick with your resolve. You are not a helpful person.

To address what you said so others are not confused with your deflection:

HughesNet says there is no problem.  HughesNet says that these high latency spikes are normal.  HughesNet says if we don't like it, we can go find another ISP.

We are only speculating that CenturyLink is the problem. The fact is, we don't know because HughesNet won't comment on the issue or even acknowledge it.

It would be absolutely fantastic if HughesNet jumped in and said:

Thank you for your feedback and the data you and others have provided.  Out engineers have looked at the problem and we have found that the latency is coming from our connection to CenturyLink, which is our direct connection from the gateway you use to the main internet.  We are currently working with CenturyLink to resolve this problem and we will give you regular updates on its status and when it will be resolved.  Until then, please continue to report to us latency spikes and anthing you are doing that may help us find a pattern.  Thank you for your contiued patience in this matter.
To be honest, though, at this point it would be difficult to beleive even that statement now, as it would be read as them just telling us what we want to hear.  It is something they should have come forward and said right at the beginning.

As maratsade said, it is good for the rest of us to share our experiences so we can help isolate this issue, find out what is causing it so maybe a solution can be found, and also so others can see how HughesNet works (or not works) with its customers.
@MarkJFine wrote:

@lighthope1 wrote:

You must be referring to HughesNet since they don't see a problem.

No... You. The absolute last thing I'm going to say on the matter:

 

If Facebook is having a problem, should HughesNet assume responsibility and acknowledge that as well? Because that's precisely the same thing as what you're insinuating. The problem is so much larger than HughesNet that you're having a problem comprehending that.

Bottom line: Your internet works from you to HughesNet, to CenturyLink, to whomever, to Facebook, and back. HughesNet's responsibility to you is just that, between them and you. Anything beyond that is OUT OF THEIR CONTROL.


 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"...it is good for the rest of us to share our experiences so we can help isolate this issue, find out what is causing it so maybe a solution can be found, and also so others can see how HughesNet works (or not works) with its customers."

 

Over the years I have learned a lot from others' experiences, not just what has gone wrong for them (which is good to know, in case it happens to me; this way I can recognise the issue), but how others have troubleshot the issues, and, ideally, resolved them. 

 

This is why I value the process of sharing  information about problems, systematic detective work, and eventual solutions (or workarounds) in a constructive environment. This community and its members have been a lifesaver more than once.  Figuring out the system was a bit of a mess before this site (and its predecessor) arrived. 

 

20 second latency spikes tonight.