HughesNet Usage Meter 6.7.0.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kitnbob
Tutor

HughesNet Usage Meter 6.7.0.0

Just in the past week Jan 2018, Usage meter will not run from desktop or at startup, producing this error message

any clues?

HN UsageMeter-jsErrorMsg.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Go to that folder and delete the "status-meter.conf" file then restart the meter.

PS: You may need to enable show hidden files/folders to find it.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Go to that folder and delete the "status-meter.conf" file then restart the meter.

PS: You may need to enable show hidden files/folders to find it.

Thanks BirdDog,

That worked. The old conf file had nothing on it.

Had a brief power outage 1/22/2018 that may have been a reason the conf file was blank.

thank god for some error messages.

I tried you suggestion. I cannot find the "status-meter.conf" file when I go to the folder that is labelled "HughesNet Usage Meter" on the "C" drive in Program Files. I tried the enable show hidden files/folders to find it, however, it did not reveal the "status-meter.conf" file. I am still getting the same JavaScript error message that kitnbob posted. Any suggestions would be appreicated. JavaScript error.png

HughesNet Folder COntents Screen Shot.png

@SHMK

I see the snippet of MY error message.

If you receive the error message, save yours and follow the path in the error to another Usage Meter folder 

..Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\...

it's not in ProgramFiles...........

its in \AppData\Roaming\...

AppData may be a "hidden" folder

1. You first have to quit the meter app.

2. It's better that you delete the whole Usrs/xxxx/AppData/Roaming/HughesNet Usage Meter directory. The reason is because chances are there are other files (like the history cache) that are corrupted as well, not just the conf file.

3. Then restart it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

Good point. I looked at other files there, ie; the .log file was apended and not overwritten from an earlier version 6.1.1

I must have been lucky in my brief power outage. (hard shutdown)

My Update to 6.7.0.0 left the folder there... i think.

Many thanks ,found the apps file listing the Hughes Net Usage Meter ,deleted it. Deleted all other files and re downloaded it and now works as advertised ! Thx again!
RG
Sophomore

Just a bit of information,the meter is susceptible to power fail when computer is running. My son has a UPS set up for his computer, : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TZTGWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This would help when power is erratic and will maintain power voltages.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RGwrote:

Just a bit of information,the meter is susceptible to power fail when computer is running. My son has a UPS set up for his computer, : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TZTGWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This would help when power is erratic and will maintain power voltages.

Definitely.  That's the only time I see the error.  We lose power a half dozen times or more each year, and if I'm on the computer when it happens it's inevitable that it's going to give that notice when the computer is powered back up.  

When you know how to fix it by heart, and quickly, you know it's happening too often.  😛  

MarkJFine,

"Tango Mike" for the followup and appreciate the solid technical expertise (demonstrated by the correct information shared) that resovled my HughesNet Meter issue. What a great on-line community! I had been trying for days to solve this problem [with no end in sight] until I stumbled on this board. I had to look at the information starting with BirdDog and kitnbob, however, your input was the nail driver coupled with the response from kitnbob and RG.

Splendid Behavior on your part and YES, it fixed my issue.

Here we go AGAIN ! Yesterday we had a power  loss on and off . The hughes meter CRASHED AGAIN withall the script error messages .Now it had been running just fine after jumping throught the hoops with all the delete and re-install. Now it seems obvious that the program is unstable to power surges as will cash it to crash , so the question is now that i am trying to tell Hughes  "THEY" need to research why the update Status meter crashes with power 

fluctuation .

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Or, better yet, you should understand that any program that is running on a computer, can create corrupted data if the computer is suddenly powered off.

Sorry, but there's not a *real* fix to sudden power losses and crashes causing corrupted data.  If you want to avoid such things, I suggest using an UPS, such as the typical 650w APC unit that should be suitable for most desktops.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RG

All you have to do is close the program in the taskbar, then delete the HughesNet Usage Meter folder in C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\, then restart the application.  It will recreate the HughesNet Usage Meter folder inside Roaming.  Remember to enable hidden items to be viewed so you can find AppDAta and successive folders.    

There's no need to uninstall and reinstall, nor download a new installation file.   

Went to Roaming file would not allow me to delete. All that shows is the icon on the desktop? So am at a stand still as wires shorted out again , app error again! So where do we go from here??

Deleted the  config file finally, took awhile to find it. Then went to program downloaded file and clicked on the main download file and finally the icon started to work without redownloading the whole program. Thanks. one final question why did the "old" version work just fine with the power crashing the computer and would come back up with the Status Meter intact and working?? New one crashes at the slightes hicup and hear we go again??

@RG wrote:

......... New one crashes at the slightes hicup and hear we go again??

@RG

If you experience a lot of power outages, Try this:

Close down the application Usage Meter 6.7.0.0 after you have used it.  A power outage wont hurt it  when it is NOT running.

You can start it rather quickly from the shortcut on your desktop when you want to use it again.  🙂

"They" will fix the issue in 6.7.0.1

Yep...seeing the same crashes of the Status Meter 6.7.0.0 on my Mac (OS ver. 10.12.6) after power outages....and that's been a frequent occurance with all the storms in my part of the mid-south.  Status meter app still initializes, but cannot connect to the modem.  Like you, I'll wait for the next version of the meter.