Hughesnet Community

HughesNet does not appear on any of the ISP lists - why ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rex16
New Poster

HughesNet does not appear on any of the ISP lists - why ?

Question 1:

I have tried installing several apps ( Hallmark Channel, Fox News Ch, Turner Classic Movies,

History Ch - just to name a few)  and as part of the installation process, they require an ISP.  They then offer several to choose from and if it's not in there, there is a "see all" list consisting of literally hundreds of ISP's . HughesNet in NEVER in any of these list. Are they not my 

ISP ?  Why don't they appear in any of the ISP lists ?

Question 2:

My download speed almost always runs  22-28 mbps with HughesNet.  Why am I still getting frequent buffering whenever I stream ?

3 REPLIES 3
Amanda

Hi rex16,

We checked a couple of these providers (Fox and History) this morning and it appears they are requesting the login information for your TV service provider. If you have a television provider like Dish or DirecTV you would need to use that information to login. 

Regarding video performance: there are a couple of things which can contribute to this, but the best place to start is which website you are trying to stream from. Depending on the service, the video can be delivered differently and may have issues adjusting to our Video Data Saver. If you can give me an example of the apps or site you use to stream that would give me a good starting point.

Thank you,

Amanda

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"We checked a couple of these providers (Fox and History) this morning and it appears they are requesting the login information for your TV service provider. If you have a television provider like Dish or DirecTV you would need to use that information to login. "

I've used the NBC app, and yes, they want the TV provider.  It works fine when logging in with those credentials.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@rex16

I've also tried a few network apps, and like others have mentioned, they only ever ask for the TV provider, not the ISP.  

Being that I'm in my Bonus Zone period and I've got a lot of data to play with, I'll try one of the apps you've listed and see what it asks for.  🙂  

------------------------------------------------

Edit:  Okay, I tried the Watch TCM app, and on both my computer and my Android phone it asks for my TV provider.  The reason it does this is to ensure that you already pay for a service that includes the main channel.  i.e., you can't watch anything on demand from these services unless you already get the main channel through means of satellite TV or cable TV.