Hughesnet Community

HughesNet emails are NOT getting delivered to AOL users. Is anyone else having this problem?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SanLan
Sophomore

HughesNet emails are NOT getting delivered to AOL users. Is anyone else having this problem?

AOL emails are getting delivered to my HughesNet email, but if I reply or send a HughesNet email to an AOL address, it never gets delivered. I believe this just started this week? Please advise.

36 REPLIES 36
SanLan
Sophomore

OK, so a HughesNet email I sent as a test at 8:30pm on 10-27 finally made it through to the AOL email address, but at 7:00am today 10-28.

It seems that AOL might be blocking HughesNet emails or putting them into some sort of ‘holding bin’?

Is this a HughesNet issue or an AOL issue?

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I think that may be an AOL issue, but the mods here may have a better response. 

GabeU

@SanLan 

I don't know for sure that this is the case, but if AOL is getting a lot of spam mail from hughes.net addresses, it may have blocked, or may be currently blocking, hughes.net.  

@MarkJFine is pretty knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.  He may have some ideas of what can be done, if anything, and he may reply with such.

Could be any number of reasons. The usual one is if the Synacor email server (smtp.hughes.net) pops up as listed on one of the black lists. Currently it's listed under:
dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net
dnsbl.sorbs.net
spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net and

spam.spamrats.com

Keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean there's an actual spammer on HughesNet. It could very well mean that at least one person is running malware that spews spam without the person knowing it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the info. Hmmm….not sure how I would even contact AOL to check if they are blocking HughesNet? Is this something HughesNet would handle - could they perform a test to see? Thanks for your replies.

@SanLan wrote:

Thanks for the info. Hmmm….not sure how I would even contact AOL to check if they are blocking HughesNet? Is this something HughesNet would handle - could they perform a test to see? Thanks for your replies.

AOL is only a user of the lists and won't care. The Black List owners will not talk to users, only administrators of the smtp server, because that's the IP in question, not the individual account. So that only leaves whomever is responsible at HughesNet and/or Synacor to track down the cause of the problem (which also could just be a report from a disgruntled (ex-)customer) and then assure the lists that the problem is resolved.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Everything was working fine until about a week ago. Over the past week, I’ve sent at least 10 test emails and only 1 got delivered (12 hours later!). The other emails are out in limbo somewhere. I never got a bounceback email on any of them and they never got delivered. Today, I got 2 bounceback emails.

Who should I contact at HughesNet to look into this? I’m sure I’m not the only one this is happening to?

Is there a moderator that I can tag?

@SanLan,

Thank you for contacting us. I do believe our IP may have been blacklisted by AOL. While we cannot resolve this immediately, our email admins work diligently to resolve things such as this. Based on previous instances, I do not believe this will take more than a few weeks to be resolved. I understand this is inconvenient but some of our customers do not use their email address appropriately and this can result in penalization. 

-Damian    

Thanks for your reply @Damian . The first I noticed it was the week of October 21st I think, if that helps in any way. I'll just hang tight and I'll keep doing tests every now and then to see if it is fixed. I'll let you know when all is well on my end! 🙂

YAY! Just did a test and the email went thru immediately! Looks like we are 'unblocked'! Thanks so much!!

@SanLan,

I am very glad to hear this has been resolved. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. Please reach out any time if you ever need assistance with anything else  

-Damian   

Uggh! I think I spoke too soon @Damian 

Looks like the problem is back. My HughesNet emails are not getting delivered to AOL email addresses.

@SanLan,

That is unfortunate. I will escalate this case internally to obtain an update from our email admins, regarding this issue.

-Damian  

I am experiencing this same problem with AOL and many others.  I have just sent a test to sbglobal.net, comcast.net AND my work email and not one single one of my test emails have gone through. 

This past week I've received several bouncebacks from numerous email addresses/domains that are ALL valid. 

maratsade

Hopefully the reps on this site will look at both your accounts and get back to you. 

I'm getting bounceback emails, but DAYS later: "A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed". 

The aol email address I am sending an email to is valid.

Hopefully they will figure this out soon....

Susan Grant Gil
Freshman

My Emails are being rejected by AOL, Comcast and Yahoo users.

I also got a bounceback from a Yahoo email address. I had no problems sending to the Yahoo email prior to a month ago. The email address is valid.

@SanLan,

After escalating this case, it appears our email administrators are already aware of this and are working to address the blacklisting issue in general. We do not have a concrete date for a complete fix but I assure you this will not be a permanent issue. If we receive any major updates, I will post them here. 

-Damian 

Thanks for the update @Damian