cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughesNet support - give them a break

Junior

HughesNet support - give them a break

When you (we the customers) have a problem with our internet service we call customer support. Most of the time we are unhappy due to an interruption or degradation of service. Sometimes we are unhappy because we are experiencing issues with billing or data consumption. Each and every time that I have reached out to customer support the HughesNet representative was nothing less than superlative in their efforts to resolve my problem. Some representatives spoke with accents and were more or less difficult to understand. Some representatives obviously were newer on the job and were less knowledgeable than others. Nonetheless, every HughesNet customer support representative did their very best to resolve my problem.
Considering the afore mentioned reasons for the call in the first place, these people are doing a difficult job under bad circumstances. Almost all of us chose satellite internet because there weren't any other options available. There are inherent drawbacks to using satellite, FAP, latency, price, varying sky and weather conditions, etc. So the next time that you need to call customer support take a deep breath and - give them a break. 
39 REPLIES 39

Re: HughesNet support - give them a break

More people should be giving them a break. all most people do is yell and swear at them. they have to listen to it everyday. and not only that when you calm down and be professional you get A Lot More accomplished in a single phone call.

Not to rain on the parade, but let's be fair toward the customer as well.  I have been one of those customers who "gave them a break".  They, not I, became agitated (the change in voice and sighs were a definite clue) when I had them repeat what they were saying.  Not all of us can hear unclear English that well.  I have even had them flat out hang up on me, I call back, they get to the point of irritation again, and once again, I conveniently have a "broken connection".  I am not saying they don't try at all, I am simply saying before we whip customers with wet noodles for being rude, let's also try to remember who is paying for the service, and who is paying to give the service.  Not all workers are rude, but not all are very considerate and helpful either.  I have had them talk over me so they would not have to answer a question, and virtually yell the reply at me like a parroted speech when they think I should have known an answer already.  Sorry, I see both sides of the coin.  You have good and not so good on either side.  Just my opinion.
Junior

I will be among the first to agree with you. I too have had some less than optimum contacts but never have I had a customer service contact that actually became rude, irritated, or unprofessional. I have on occasion found it frustrating to reach a CSR who was new and less knowledgeable.  Can you imagine going to work and having to deal with their job? Wouldn't you just dread going to work everyday. Yet still, these people do the job, dealing with unhappy customers, solving problems for people with little or no computer skills, soothing customers who didn't research what satellite internet actually is and customers who were IMO misled by over zealous sales people. (I didn't include these people purposely) You are absolutely correct in that without us, the customer, there would be no jobs for customer service. That being said, they work for us but how we treat our employees is a direct reflection of the kind of boss that we actually are.

I certainly would dread going to work doing that job.  But then again, I have gone to work doing a job I dreaded, and I did it without causing the person I cared for to feel they were a burden in any way.  My feelings are, if you want people to calm down and address you courteously, begin with the attitude they matter, what they are experiencing matters, and this is a job I am paid to do in a professional, caring way.  The customer will calm down (most of the time) as long as they do not feel they are speaking to a wall or listening to the same pre-written reply they always hear (one response for all problems seems par for the course much of the time).  Admittedly, and happily, I agree there are those who were outstanding in customer care.  My main complaint with the service department is that more often than not, they really don't know what to tell you to do.  The proverbial "catch 22" then kicks in.  Since they don't know what to tell you to do, they automatically refer you to Home Support, which in my case, I was never once told would explain 3 levels of charges for dealing with any and all issues I have.  This has been addressed before, so I'll leave that right there.  In a nutshell, I agree donsijgm, there are good workers out there.  I have had the pleasure of working with two of them since I started with Hughes.
Honorary Alumnus

Customer Service has got to be a tough job.

Toss is the language difficulties and it escalates the problem for both sides. The customer is trying to understand "tech" and the CS is trying to determine a root cause and his linearity is being shot to pieces by the customer constantly saying ... what, can you repeat that.

The lower tier support levels are script driven for the most part and likely dare not stray from the Sacred Support Script and hence may also get frustrated.

The higher tier folks, you can actually have a conversation with .... if you, the customer, have a decent understanding of computers, networking basics and some insight to Hughes systems. Unfortunately not all of us come so equipped.

Many of us fail to understand that the lower tiers are just a "filter" and that the script, to point, has its place as a Divide & Conquer tool.

Where the thing seems to break down is lack of timely call backs, stale PINS for returned calls and the worst .... having to restart the process from step one and every call and every level.

Many of the calls to CS service are avoidable ....

If Hughes did a better job .... at the point of Sale and the point of Installation ....

You have a capped plan

This is how to see where within the plan you are

This is the SCC ... see the pretty icons ? If you have a problem look at those icons before you call

What come up, comes down ....  you>>>>>the bird>>>>>>your gateway

If your gateway is SLC and the weather is terrible there and the SCC icon is yellow ... wait a while, go read a book, pet the dog.

They should tell you from the start ... how to toggle Web Acceleration

They should tell you from the start how to do a MBX Reset

None of the above stuff is difficult but in many cases it would allow a user to "fix" his/her own problem without a long frustrating call.

Advanced Tutor

We all get into our "Danger Zone" now and then. I've worked in and managed Customer Service and Tech Support groups for a couple of companies. People are people, and sometimes they just have a bad day. After getting yelled at by a dozen irate callers, and answering the same questions for a hundred more, you sometimes hit the wall and just want to run screaming from the building.

One tip I can pass along, whether you're the caller or the callee. When you feel the person on the other end of the phone is getting exasperated or being rude, very politely ask them, "I'm sorry, is it me, or are you just 'having one of those days?'"

By doing that, you let them know you're aware of their attitude, and you gave them an out (of course, "it's not you, it's just one of those days"). A little empathy goes a long ways, and the other person will usually lighten up and back off, 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Hey Gwalk...good to see you here.  You make a lot of sense, both of you, and I am not attempting to say it should be dandy for us as customers to rip off the face of the Hughes service the minute they get on the phone.  What I am saying is in all fairness to the customer, I have been the recipient of the opposite position as well.  From sighs to impatient reciting of the first response they gave to 4 questions ago (even though it does nothing to help the present question), to flat out hanging up on the phone on me (on more than one occasion.  Below I would like to quickly address an issue I have with a statement in donsijgm post...

"Yet still, these people do the job, dealing with unhappy customers, solving problems for people with little or no computer skills, soothing customers who didn't research what satellite internet actually is and customers who were IMO misled by over zealous sales people."

Where you say "solving problems for people with little or no computer skills" I take a bit of offense.  While I am sure you did not mean that to be offensive, it was nonetheless.   Thanks to various people like Gwalk, sgoshe, bill, Liz, and a few others, I AM one of those people who are learning because I have to.  I lost my husband who did the majority of the computer care himself.  I have had to learn to get as far as I am by listening to others like the above mentioned people here on Hughes.  What I do not need, is someone telling me how they have to deal with my unhappy little butt and solve my problems.  That IS one of the problems.  They DON'T deal with things, they shunt me over to Home Tech Support and now I pay yet another bill to get techs to tell me what is going on.   When my daughters and I moved to this area, we were totally unfamiliar with something like dish service for internet.  Not knowing anything about it, and out in the boonies, please explain to me how I would have "researched Hughes" prior to getting service since I had no service to research from to begin with????  Finally, your final comment on IMO misleading over, on this matter we agree.  I'll leave that there as well. 

Honorary Alumnus

On a lighter note while speaking of "Customer Service" ... I frequently get calls from the scam "This is Windows calling about your infected computer" ....

Man, do I enjoy those when I have the time .... I string that joker of a CS Rep for "Windows" just as long as I can playing the complete Rube.

At some point I lose it and start laughing ... end of call.

(they also have thick accents)

Honorary Alumnus

I might get burned for this but I have to equate HTS with the like of Geek Squad ..... expensive and dangerous ....

I guess my biggest issue is in the way,( that has been reported many times) that people were shuffled of to HTS without understanding that they were no longer dealing with Hughes support but with a 3rd party pay support partner.

Computers are complex animals all by themselves, add to that 'Networking" add to THAT the added complexities of a satellite connection and you have a potential for a mess.

I understand that Hughes has to draw the "support" line at the modems LAN port although we see cases where the Mods try to help with issue (Thanks Mods !) and a user can always get help from Community members.

I can see where there may come a time when a CS Rep feels it is not a Hughes issue but one related to computer/networking hence HTS ... I just wish it was made clearer to the user "You Are Leaving Hughes Support".