cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughesNet

Ted

HughesNet

I am new and have had HughesNet for close to a month now. I have the Internet and phone.  I was weary of the local cable and phone companies. I have everything thru the satellite, including Direct TV.  I have read a lot of post from problems, Ideas, and praise.  My wife and I have Netflix.  I thought this would be my big problem when it came to data drainage. Thanks to reading, I was able to change the settings on my Netflix account so I could watch more movies or shows using less gigabytes without using up my data so fast.  My wife and I don't watch youtube, download off the internet, or do gaming on the internet so HughesNet was perfect for the both of us.  In do time, we may even get rid of Netflix altogether because we are not satisfied with some of their selections of movies. 

Anyway, HughesNet is not for everyone.  If you are constantly on the internet downloading videos, watching youtube all the time, watching Netflix a lot, or have a business over the internet where you are on the computer throughout the day, then this data plan is not for you.  I don't know if HughesNet will ever go to unlimited data but I am guessing if they do, it will be too expensive. Anyway, I hope this helps someone out there that are just starting out and I do appreciate the people that try to help other people that may be experiencing problems...

Peace...

7 REPLIES 7

Re: HughesNet

Hi, Ted, 

I pretty much ditto all you have said above.  Just started on my third year and it is working fine WITHIN the parameters you outline.  

Could you please mention how you derated Netflix to a lower resolution.  I have never streamed a Netflix, for data consumption reasons. However, I might, especially if I can "SAVE UP" some Gigabytes and it is neat the end of the month. I DO use You Tube occasionally for a full 2 hour documentary.  But that is easy to derate to 144 or 240p.  If one does THAT, the data usage goes a LONG way.  But I do not know how to do that on Netflix.  

Thank you so very much, 

Larry Lewis
Nordman, Idaho

remove the error I still have   ERROR 651 .  I have put up with this for over 3 months.

Hi Lawrence, To change your netflix viewing settings, go to the online webpage (netflix.com) and log into your account. You'll see a thumbnail profile icon to the top right. Hoover over it and goto Your Account. Scroll down the page till you find a section marked "My Profile"    In the list next to it select "Playback Settings" you'll be displayed with a menu like this:

Select the option that best suits you, do not use the auto setting as this sets the quality by the SPEED of your network...  For future reference .3GB is = to 300MB... hughes uses 1000 base which means there are 1000MB = 1GB ...

Hi janet, I wish I could help but i've never heard of a ERROR 651??? Does this popup here http://192.168.0.1/    at your SCC or is it a webpage error??? More details would certainly help us fellow user attempt to help you with your problem... As for the employees, they won't be back on till Monday 9am-5pm Eastern time.  If you havent done so already, you may be better off starting your own case with details and a case number (given by phone support) or the serial number off the bottom of your modem.

This way your post doesn't get overlooked or lost in a praise post,  as well as gives the mods the info they need to pull your account and hopefully help you fix your problem
Ted

Larry, log into your Netflix account. Arrow under your name and it will bring up your options. Choose 'Your Account'.  The next screen will bring up 'My Profile'. Choose 'Playback settings'.  You will have 3 options. 'Auto', 'Low', 'Medium', 'High'.  Choose 'Low'.  The Low settings playback only consumes 0.3 gigs per hour.  The High settings playback consumes a resounding 7 gigs per hour and is in HD. I hope this helps you out Larry. Good luck...

Ted

Actually, Melissa's explanation is right on point! Again, good luck Larry...

Hi Ted,

We're so happy to hear you are enjoying your  HughesNet service! As many would say, internet with data caps is definitely not for everyone, but to live on the side of a mountain or in the beautiful country, there are "sites" prettier than what is on the internet Smiley Happy

I'm glad you've chosen to share your experience here and hope that you'll stick around to pass on some of your knowledge to our new members.

Have a good one!
Amanda
Ted

Thanks Amanda! . Now, how about we discuss unused gigabytes being rolled over month to month? LOLSmiley Happy...