cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughesnet +Dishnetwork

Highlighted
Sophomore

Hughesnet +Dishnetwork

I decided to have Dishnetwork installed today. I called to have my Hughesnet cancelled last evening, fully understanding I would have to pay the early cancellation fee. The rep talked with me for awhile, and ultimately gave me some discounts for a year to drop my bill to the point I decided to keep it. I was very pleased! So, my question: Dish tech connected Hughesnet to my Hopper for use of Netflix and the voice remote. How will that impact my data usage? Will I have to worry about Dish using data other than when I might want to use the built in Netflix? Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Re: Hughesnet +Dishnetwork

Personally, I would disconnect your Hopper from your HT2000w/hughesnet wifi immediatley as it will chew through your data very quickly..

I also have Dish Network, both the Hopper & Joey, and can tell you that connecting to, and streaming OnDemand and/or Netflix or other Dish Network services is, wothout a doubt, a data HOG!

I would also point out to you that your Hopper will 'auto connect' to your Hughesnet Modem via wifi using the current Network Name (SSDI) and password that you or the technician used to initially set up your Hopper...there is no manual DISCONNECT option from the Hopper or via the Dish Network remote control and there are NO other options as far as how you want your Hopper to connects to the internet, so the only way for you to completely disconnect your Hopper from your modem/wifi would be to change your Network Name and/or password via your system control panel/wifi settings so that your Hopper can not detect your wifi signal and autoconnect to it.

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Re: Hughesnet +Dishnetwork

Also wanted to add that even if you download OnDemand shows during your bonus zone (2am-8am), you will still need an active internet connection to watch those shows at a later time...