Hughesnet Community

Hughesnet Usage Meter not compatable with Windows 10!!??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

Hughesnet Usage Meter not compatable with Windows 10!!??

Just got off the phone with a Hughes tech who, after putting me on hold, told me that the Hughesnet Usage Meter is not compatable with Windows 10. Does this mean I have to drop back a version or 2 or 3 until I find a version that it works with? (Rhetoric) Needless to say, after many, many hours of deleting/installing programs, that wasn't something I wanted to hear and, frankly, can not belieive it's the case. Or atleast better not be.

As far as the meter is concerned, I've unistalled/reinstalled many times and end with the same result: double click the meter on the home page and it clears the screen. Click 'finish' at the end of reinstall and it clears the screen and puts 2 meters in 'task manager'. Deleting one or the other makes no difference. Under 'settings' there is only one meter listed as well as under the control panel. Under 'apps and features' there is only one shown, a circle with a percent sign. The second meter is the older one that just displays the useage in the outer edge. I have no idea why two meters are showing up when the download of version 6.6. I have run Ccleaner Pro to make sure everything related to the meter is gone. I'm at a loss. Can someone tell me that Win 10 is or isn't compatable, kind of like spell checkers don't work with this site either. Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Every version since 6.2.0 is compatible with Win10 64bit, however only 6.6.1 is currently supported...  Something is borked with your Win10 install... If you deleted both of the Hughesnet folders that I instructed in your other thread, there would be no way for any other version to run other than what you install afterwards.

If you are getting an error that the meter is running, open Task Manager, and right click on any Hughesnet software that is running, and click End Task, then attempt the delete again.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dfbeck wrote:

Can someone tell me that Win 10 is or isn't compatable, kind of like spell checkers don't work with this site either. Thanks in advance.

This is just letting you know in case you aren't aware and if you wish to use one, even though spellcheckers don't work with this site it does have its own.  The little ABC with the check mark under it in the options when you are writing.  I didn't know if you were only using the spellchecker as an example or wishing to use one and not being aware that there is one built in, so I figured I'd mention it.  

Corrosive, GabeU,

After closing the meter in Task Manager, deleting every file related to the Usage meter, downloading another fresh copy, deleting the line, 'C:\users\admin\appdata...' I finally got a meter icon to appear with the other hidden icons on the task bar. I still have a non-functioning icon on the task bar which I think I will leave alone for now. I can't really say what cured the problem but if I had to say one thing that seems to have made a difference it was deleting that line of text. Now I need to find out why the meter is so inaccurate. The date at the top is 'SEP 19'. The graph starts on '9/2' but the data shown is over 55 gigs. Under todays date on the graph for Service Plan Data it reads just slightly over 30 gigs remaining while the text below is 28.7 gigs. Bonus on the graph is 45 gigs while the text is 19.6. The only part that appears to be accurate is the 7.3 gigs of tokens I purchased long ago but didn't have to use. I don't care for this meter at all since it gives no indication of how close I am to exceeding the months allotment of data. I don't know if this is related to the System Control Center which is unreadable. I'm just going to copy this to a new thread since it's a different issue. Thanks for the help.

lbyork74
New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem with the Usage Meter, in that it just won't run.  I don't get the double entry, but it certainly doesn't work.

Unsure what you mean by 'won't run'.

When started, it's supposed to put something along the lines of a widget in your status bar:

1. Do you mean that's not happening?

2. Or, when you right-click on the widget there's no menu?

3. Or, when you click on a menu item, no window appears?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I just installed the Hughesnet Usage Meter in Windows 10 and it won't run.  There is no widget in the task manager.  Clicking on the shortcut icon on the desktop will not open the program nor will going to the file location and trying to open from there.  I reinstalled a second time with the same results.......what gives??

GabeU

@smcgeheewrote:

I just installed the Hughesnet Usage Meter in Windows 10 and it won't run.  There is no widget in the task manager.  Clicking on the shortcut icon on the desktop will not open the program nor will going to the file location and trying to open from there.  I reinstalled a second time with the same results.......what gives??

Might your antivirus program be blocking it from running?    

Did you download the Usage Meter installation file from the HughesNet myAccount site?  

Are you sure it's not hidden in the taskbar?  

When you open the task manager, do you see it running?  

@smcgeheewrote:

Clicking on the desktop icon only runs the widget in the taskbar. It still might be there, just hiding under the "down caret" where it groups widgets:

Untitled.jpg

To run it, either double click the widget or right click on it and select "Open" from the menu.

The rest should be self-explanatory.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

...so the widget is now showing up in the task manager, but when I click on it the message is:  Whoops!  No hughesnet modem found.  This is crazy because I am using the hughesnet modem right now to get to this website.

GabeU

@smcgeheewrote:

...so the widget is now showing up in the task manager, but when I click on it the message is:  Whoops!  No hughesnet modem found.  This is crazy because I am using the hughesnet modem right now to get to this website.

Though you may have already tried this, if it's still not working try restarting everything.  Shut your computer down and unplug the modem.  Wait about a minute, then plug the modem back in.  Then wait about five minutes (so the modem can fully be ready), then start your computer.  Hopefully it will work properly at that point.  

If it does, but the icon is still hidden in the tasbar, make sure to go into the taskbar settings to change the icon to "appear in the taskbar".