cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughesnet Voice

New Poster

Hughesnet Voice

I updated to Gen 5 with the hope it would help the delay in our phone. It there something I'm missing or is that just the way it will always be?

• Voice
3 REPLIES
Teaching Assistant

Re: Hughesnet Voice

I don't have Hughesnet Voice, but I can tell you that, due to it being a satellite based system, there will always be at least a half second or more of latency due to the distance to the satellite.  The satellite altitude is about 22,300 miles, and the signal has to go from your dish to the satellite, then from the satellite to the gateway, and then everything in reverse.  The amount of time it's actually on the inernet varies, and the switches and such it has to go through add time, as well.  The average latency, as far as I know, is about 600ms, or just over half a second.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

I could deal with the delay, but it's the breaking up that my friends and family complain about.  I keep getting told to call Customer Service, but since it's a bot, I can't get through!  Any ideas?  I'm trying not to be cranky, but no one wants to talk to me anymore!  They say it's like a bad cell phone connection and that's bad.  If I could just get Customer Service to call me, that would be a great help.

Highlighted

I got through to a live person other day. I don't know what number you're calling but I looked up customer service on line for the company and got through to a human twice in 30 minutes. Now did my problem get resolved? No. but it's a tricky issue so i need to try again to make myself clear about my issues I'm experiencing with the service. ( some sly X roommate made my network service his business while I was away and changed everything & made it difficult to get it straightened out & him no way able to connect to my network in future.... that kind of BS) As far as the quality of the voice calls I'm able to make it's pretty good considering I have issues with my carrier about the sometimes problems of people NOT being able to hear me on my apple phone when in my bedroom. I get my Hughes.net connected house phone and it all good to go. No complaints at all ever. I'll get that number I just called to get a human customer service rep if you'd like? Let me know.