cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughesnet WIFI and HP chromebook

sepmeier
Sophomore

Re: Hughesnet WIFI and HP chromebook

I shut down and turned off all Bluetooth devices here and the chromes still return the out of range error on the 2g. Good idea, though.

I think the handshake protocol changed in October - but so odd they work Comcast and Centurylink 2g wifi. Hughesnet 2g driver update looks likely to me since we have swapped the Satellite modem IDU already. What code is specific to logging in on Hughesnet 2g that is different from the Hughesnet 5g - or other vender’s 2g - or was some new standard implemented by google that Hughes didn’t update? That’s probably the avenue to walk ...

Thanks again!
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

I had no issues with it at all for over 3 years -- then one day it just stopped recognising the 2.4 GHz radio. I tried all kinds of things but nothing worked, so I gave up. 

@gokartergo24 wrote:

I install Hughesnet.. I see it a lot on the chromebooks.. Only the 5g works on most.. I have no idea what causes it.. But I think it is on the schools end..

sepmeier
Sophomore

I suspect it’s a chrome issue too - but they both worked fine when I’ve taken them to friend’s homes who use 2.4g Centurylink or Comcast 2.4g wifi. Like I said, the brand new one out of box had no issues - but a day later the 2.4g wifi crashed while it was in use and has never been able to handshake since - my guess is the factory software updated after it had been in service a few hours.

Since it only impacts Hughesnet 2g though - I’m back to what’s different between Hughes and the other wifi handshakes? Did Hughes update a driver that’s buggy only with chrome now - or does it need to update one? It’s odd to see the SSID for 2g but then get the out of range error.

You guys are great - I appreciate the attention given today. Hopefully somebody’s going to be able to nail this one down. Anything I can do to help, post here and I’ll get an email and do what I can.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

I'm late to this party, but it sounds to me like something specific to Chromebooks too.

As far as the wifis resetting, 5GHz in particular, that used to be a problem with the early modem firmware. I haven't seen that in ages.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
sepmeier
Sophomore

Hi Mark,

It’s an odd situation.

My IDU firmware is ver 0.10.10 boot code is 1.1.4.8 and hardware is R01.

I just got slowed down because me daughter used up the data token. AGAIN. LoL But that doesn’t affect these issues - in case anybody looks at the IDU remotely.

I really would look at your code to see if there’s a difference between the 5G and 2G handshake - since one works and the other doesn’t. Google maybe only updated the 2G though snd if they update the 5G there are going to be real problems in schools ...

If it’s google - well - thry have engineers. I know Tim Warner there but last I heard he ran Asia. Your people have to have connections.

Again - my two are HP brand chromes.

Best,

B
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Well, I'm just a retired HN customer, albeit a long-timer on a Mac. Any connections I may have had are in Defense. lol

My wife has a Chromebook for work, but I don't let it on the local network because everything on it is network-access, meaning lots of pings and high network usage - as you've no doubt found out.

Not sure where those numbers are coming from, but my 2000W is running software version 7.3.0.13 with wifi software 0.10.10. You can check it from here using any machine on your local network. Ignore the fallback software version, that's what I think it uses out of the box or if it's completely reset.

Edit: Lol... Did I really call it a 9000W? #blastfromthepast No idea where that came from.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
sepmeier
Sophomore

Mark,

I clicked that link and my versions are the same as yours. 7.3.0.13 and 0.10.10.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

I haven't read back... have you tried powering the modem off then on (remove power at the brick or wall, wait a minute, then re-power it)?

sepmeier
Sophomore

Probably should read from the beginning - we are way past that. Yes. That was the first thing (repeated many times). I posted once before about the wifi dropouts, too - Liz sent a replacement IDU. Since then I’ve observed the two (I think related) issues and posted a detailed note at the top of this conversation yesterday.

I’ve checked everything I can given my access to the system and limited test equipment. AC power is clean - verified by scope. I don’t have a spectrum analyzer to look at the wifi RF but short of that we’ve isolated the situation by eliminating variables -

Read the thread and contributions from the three other folks - one a Hughesnet installer - it’s not just me.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Yeah, not denying it seem repeatable. Again, it seems like it's pretty much limited to some incompatibility with the Chromebook.

Seem to remember that years ago the HN engineers investigated a problem with Apple networking and were able to provide a simple environment variable to help solve it. Perhaps it's something simple like that for Chromebook. All these boxes are based on some distro of Linux so...