Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughesnet WIFI and HP chromebook

sepmeier
Sophomore

Re: Hughesnet WIFI and HP chromebook

I try to only bring up the issues that are a pain ... 😆

I’m getting the impression it’s a widespread chrome issue that has just been addressed by switching them to the 5G wifi - but if google updates that and nukes it like the 2g - well - there are a lot of them in homes and schools now - and if Hughes suddenly has to field entire rural schools and all the online covid school kids at home - well - it’s a situation I would try to get on and ahead of ASAP, having been a global ISP back in the day.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Probably a problem with my Chromebook or with Chromebooks in general. I tried a lot of different fixes but nothing worked.  😠

@GabeU wrote:

So it may very well be that it is, in fact, a problem of the Chromebook itself.  

How weird.  

sepmeier
Sophomore

Ah ha! It’s freakin google chrome and it’s a problem that showed up in March on chrome version 80. And their solution was turn it off and turn it back on. So far as I can tell that’s it.

Here’s the original report I found.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/34131499?hl=en&pli=1#action=me-too

It also screwed up their NEST products.

What’s odd is that our two didn’t puke until October. But - school was truncated in March, and until September the first chromebook was still under a school / google administration arrangement that MAY have stopped updates until we changed schools in the fall. I’m guessing on that - could be the OS is updated differently for different manufacturers. The new one that developed the same 2g problem was fine for 24 hours - until it obviously updated from factory to current os.

I’m going to dig deeper into the chromebooks tomorrow and see what version is loaded. If I can walk them back a version, I will. I’ll let you know what I find but Liz / Hughesnet - you should lean on them HARD as you’ve got entire rural schools switched over to the 5g already because the chrome puked and if they update THAT - you’re toast.

maratsade

Good that it worked for you! That was one of the fixes I had tried with no success. 

sepmeier
Sophomore

Turn off and on? No. It doesn’t work. 😆 It’s still an issue for everybody but - that’s all they said to do. But it’s definitely a widespread chrome issue though.

I’ll post if anything else does -
maratsade

Before I basically put the Chromebook in a cupboard and forgot about it, I tried every fix I could find and nothing worked. I hope Chrome fixes the issue, though who knows when that's going to happen.  My problem with the Chromebook not working on the 2.4Ghz radio started almost a year ago. 

sepmeier
Sophomore

It’s probably time for me to dust off my 15 year old Vaio, reformat it with Linux mint and really complicate my daughters life. LoL

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sepmeier wrote:
It’s probably time for me to dust off my 15 year old Vaio, reformat it with Linux mint and really complicate my daughters life. LoL

Mint is definitely one of the more user friendly Linux distros.  I have it on a spare HDD in this desktop, though I haven't connected it in a while.  I should though, and update it to the latest version.  

It's a nice Windows alternative, though still with that Linux learning curve, which can be a bit daunting at first.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro