Hughesnet Community

Hughesnet and Echolink

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobmary37

Hughesnet and Echolink

I hope there is at least one ham out there that has had success getting UDP ports through hughesnet modem. Any help would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13
Chris11
Alum

Hello bobmary,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Can you elaborate further. What exactly are you trying to do?

- Chris
cviningre
New Poster

I just got the service today. I have my repeater running through it using Allstar link to a group of other repeaters and have no problem yet. I hope to connect echolink to it as well. I'll check tonight and see if I have any problems and let you know.

Chris WS5B
Chris11
Alum

Hello bobmary,

It's been a few days since your original post. Please let us know if you still need assistance. 

- Chris
cviningre
New Poster

I found the same problem with Echolink. It fails the router test. It will not port forward UDP 5198 and 5199 even after port forwarding has been enable in the router.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

From what I gather, you are using Echolink to let people come in and use your HAM to talk to other HAM users in the area?   Sadly, if that is the case, it wont be possible with Hughesnet as you are behind CGN (Carrier Grade Network Address Translation), and at the same time, don't have a public facing IP address.

That aside, Hughesnet can't forward ports to you, as this would essentially block the same port for everyone else on your gateway assignment.
FIA Ranch

Agree with CORROSIVE...... Unless you upgrade to a package with a static IP address, you are dead in the water.  UPD (or TCP) ports require an associated IP address, and without a static IP, you will not get your traffic through the NAT'd network.
Chris11
Alum

Hi bobmary,

Since I'm not too familiar with Echolink, I hope everyone's responses were able to answer your question. If you need anything else feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
Chris
FIA Ranch

Bobmary37 (et.al.),

CLARIFICATION:  Want to make sure these comments (my comment) do not send you down a rabbit hole nightmare.

First, the fact of needing a static IP stands.  A must have.

However, even with a static IP, using UDP transport for time sensitive data over a satellite link is likely to cause male pattern baldness quickly!

UDP is a "best try" only protocol, and throw in a satellite link, and trying to transport time sensitive data, such as voice, is a recipe for serious frustration.  Tread very cautiously.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Getting a static IP on Hughesnet will be next to impossible...  Unless you happen to be a Business user with an HN9000, and even then, I don't think they have any available public addresses left.
cviningre
New Poster

Bobmary37

FYI, Echolink works find on the Android app. Just not on a PC. As for needing a static IP, I haven't needed one in over 10 years. The other place I had this problem is on my hotspot. Android works, PC wont.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Try disabling Web Acceleration?

Port Forwarding is only useful if you are acting as a server/service for outside people to connect to you.  This is why we stated a static address would be needed, as Hughes has only offered public routable IPv4 addresses to consumers on the HN9000 platform when you order a static address.  Which to my knowledge, is no longer possible.
bobmary37

I am trying to connect to varios ham radio sources. I am fairly sure I have my pouter configured correctly but I can't get replies from my sources. Is my HT1100 the most up to date modem Hughesnet has?
bobmary37

I guess I will have to hook my HRI200 up to my FT991 and try to set up a node that way.