HughesNet Community

Hughesnet averaging 3.6gbs a month offline

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quasarn01

Hughesnet averaging 3.6gbs a month offline

My monthly service each month starts on the 10th...  A few weeks ago a service tech came out because websites and emails were timing out...  Seems the tech solved that problem and tuned my dish  to sharpen the signal...  However, on the 10th of November the billing cycle reset and by the 21st the meter was showing that I had already consumed 61% of my monthly total.  I took a screen shot of the meter showing such.  Since I wanted the remainder to last at least to the end of this cycle, I shut down the modem and connected sparingly to my phone's hotspot...  I cranked the modem up this morning on December 1st and checked the meter and saw that another 1.2gbs had been used in 10 days with the modem off...  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this comes to 3.6gbs a month without ever accessing the internet on my end...  That leaves me with 6.4gbs a month to check my mail (averaging 10 to 12 emails a day) and a check in with facebook and twitter once or twice a day... 

First off, I knew I was only getting 10gbs a month and, with my previous service, that was suffice and usually only used 5 to 7gbs at most a month...  I am now actively searching for a more affordable service with a higher end usage allowance most likely for a lot less that $80 a month...  I know this topic has been brought up may times on here for the past couple of years and I've seen a lot of folks' frustration with this service and now it's my turn...  So, as far as speed and prices are concerned, I'm seriously looking at dial-up and/or simply upping my service plan on my phone for about $10 a month for an extra 10gbs a month with a rollover... 

Sorry for the rant but I had to share this and now I'm off to do some searching...

5 REPLIES 5
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Hello quasarn01,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're sorry about all this frustration with data and connectivity and would like to know a bit more in order to start helping you.

When you say "shut down the modem" do you mean that you completely removed the power cord from your HughesNet modem? 

Over how many months did you get the average data "lost" ? If this is a monthly occurrence, I would like to follow the steps below (unplugging the LAN cable instead of the power cord if you did so) to get started on narrowing this down:

Thanks
Amanda 
quasarn01

Like I said earlier, this was for the billing period of 11-10-16 thru 12-10-16...  When I said that I shut down the modem, I should have said that I completely disconnected from my network through Windows 10 Network settings so that I can run solely on my Phone's Hotspot...  There was no network activity whatsoever between the Hughesnet modem and my computer during this time period.  I have been using my Phone's Hotspot for several months to prevent running short of the 10gbs through Hughesnet...  If I don't do this I would run short approx. 3/4ths of the way through...  However, this month I was only 11 days into the cycle with minimum activity on the internet when my usage reached 61%...

Above - 12-2-2016 at 1pm

Above - 12-2-2016 @ 10pm
Amanda

Hello

Sorry, I must have misunderstood it was a projected future estimate. Though you may disallow your computer from accessing the network, that does not rule out other devices completely if you have a wireless router. This is why we ask for the test above and thank you for performing it. I see in those 9 hours it was disconnected there was no data used.

Could you tell me a bit more about your home network? Things like devices - routers, computers, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, streaming USB/boxes, etc

Thanks
Amanda
quasarn01

Sure...  I have two laptops and only one is connected to the network...  The one which I use is the one connected to the network...  I have an Iphone 6S that runs only on Cell Data and is not connected to the network...  My fiance has a Galaxy Edge and hers is run only on her Cell Data...  That is all we have...  Like I said earlier, I run my laptop mostly on my phone's Hot Spot thru Verizon almost every day just to make it throught thru the month with Hughesnet's allotted 10Gbs...
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Something is using the data. I suspect the cell phones but am unsure how you have told them not to use wifi. Maybe you could download "Data Usage" app from Apple store. It shows how much data is used by the pnone, and separates it into wifi and cellular.
Also there are some routers which maybe with a software change, can provide details of what devices are using the data. Good luck.