Hughesnet disappoints

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saltlife
New Poster

Hughesnet disappoints

Ive had hughesnet since March, I got it because my son is a homeschooler and needs the internet to do his work.  hughesnet is so slow he is falling behind. Nothing will load, he can't even log on to the schools website.   Another problem I have is that I was not home when the installer came, my kids were.  He drilled a hole and put the cable about a foot to the left of the end of my kitchen cabinet, about the height of the electrical plugs above the contertop.  Theres all this cable sticking out of the wall and no way to hide it.  I have to put a table next to the cabinet to sit the router on.  otherwise it will just hang off the wall with nothing to support it or I'll have a foot  of cable from the jack to the countertop.  I called hughesnet to ask them to move it.  She tells me it will cost me $125. to have someone come out to do it.  When it first happened I called and complained to hughesnet.  They gave me the number for the company that had been contracted to do the installation, I was told that I needed to make arrangements with them.  I called to make the arrangements but they would not come to fix it.  Something about needing a work order or they won't get paid. As soon as I submit this thread I will be calling skynet, I am willing to pay the early termination fees.  This is just disgusting and I feel that hughes net doesn't care at all.  They can treat rural customers any way they like because our choices are so limited.  We get entrapped by a contract and they don't have to provide what they "sell". Hughesnet has grossly misrepresented themselves, The F C C needs to intervene! I'm completely fed up with the sorry customer service I have received as well as the deception of product.  The only way i would consider spending another blling cycle with this company would be if they would come fix that ugly eye sore, and stop throttling the data speeds,  You might be huge now, but fiber connections and cellular hotspots are continually gaining coverage areas, you are already a dinosaur. Adios Hughesnet!

6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

I'm confused and frankly, just a little bit curious:

1. Did anyone not see where the guy was drilling the hole and ask him "why are you destroying my house?"

2. Did anyone not inspect his work before he left and declare it was acceptable?
3. Did anyone not keep him from leaving until he did an acceptable job?

4. You actually allowed an installer into your house with your kids unsupervised?

5. Did you do any prior research on what satellite internet is, how it works, and if it suits your needs?

6. Lastly, and I apologize for bluntly stating the obvious, but how can you possibly want a government organization and everyone else to intervene when you completely absolved your own responsibility in this?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

1. My kids thought it was weird but thought because he placed it there that was where it was supposed to go. We've been there 16 years and internet has never been available. We are not a techy family, its not something they have had much exposure to, so they thought he was doing things correctly. 

2. I got home right after the tech left, proptly called hughesnet, they referred me to contractacting company, contracting company refused to come back out

3.  Nope, kids thought he did what he was supposed to do since he was the "expert professional" from hughesnet

4.  My daughter is 17 and my son 15, we are heavily armed, and we have trained dogs that attack on command, The kids were safer than most. These are country kids they can handle themselves and have taken gun safety courses and had professional training as well as training at home. Have been hunting since they were about 12. They are tough, intelligent, and capable when it comes to being able to protect our ranch.  Their personal safety is the last thing I have to worry about.   Per my instruction he was not supposed to be there until I arrived home, He was to call me when he was enroute to my address, which he had to come 30 miles, so he had ample time. He did not follow my instructions or instructions relayed through hughesnet.  As soon as they called to tell me he was there, I left work.  I have a 1 1/2 hour commute and didn't make it in time. I was told the installation would take 2+ hours, so technically even though he did not notify me when he was on his way I should have made it there before he left.  The time frame of how long installation should have taken was incorrect. 

5.  Sattelite internet was the only choice I could find to cover my area.  Since then, I have found that there is one cellular company that provides wifi via hotspot. Although I will have to purchase an external antennae and signal amplifier to access the service. Yesterday, I found skynet by doing a seach of near by towers using longitude/latitude coordinates. An external and internal signal amplifier will be needed as well as constructing my own antennae tower. 

6.  Lastly, and I don't want to come off as rude but you obviosly don't know the situation.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

One normally has to sign something after the installer is done. Did the installer not have you sign anything?  I hope the mods can look into this for you and sort it out for you.

"They need to get out of residential/business, the sooner the better. "

Speaking only for myself,  I've been very happy with the service for over 12 years, so I hope they stick around for a very long time. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@Saltlife wrote:

6.  Lastly, and I don't want to come off as rude but you obviosly don't know the situation.  

I clearly don't know the situation and you have every right to be upset. But, to a casual reader that objectively read your situation, it sounds to me like a lot of this could have been avoided.

Hate to say it, but just like with auto mechanics when you don't know their reputation: You can never assume people employed at something technical are automatically competent at it, nor understand what your needs are.

The fact that this sounds like it was done by an independent contractor for which HughesNet is not liable actually makes the problem worse.

When he left, it was a tacit agreement by all involved that everything was copacetic. Of course they're not going to come back and change something unless they get paid to do it, no more than an auto mechanic is going to charge you more for another 'repair'.

Well, hindsight's 20/20.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" You might be huge now, but fiber connections and cellular hotspots are continually gaining coverage areas, you are already a dinosaur."

Yeah, because those military contracts count for nothing.  

@maratsade wrote:

" You might be huge now, but fiber connections and cellular hotspots are continually gaining coverage areas, you are already a dinosaur."

Yeah, because those military contracts count for nothing.  

And the military contracts pay big, hughesnet at some point will be only a military/government provider.  They need to get out of residential/business, the sooner the better.  It's obvious they care about the big contracts.  I'm sure their service isn't throttled either, lol.  If they cared at all about the litlle people I doubt there would be so many complaints and bad reviews! Bottom line though, If they sell a product with key benefits using speed benefits as a selling point, then they should provide what they say they are going to. It's misreprentation!