cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughesnet fails to deliver speeds as promised

Hughesnet fails to deliver speeds as promised

I am new to Hughesnet, but i am very disappointed with download and upload speeds. Promised "up to 10Mps" download speed but typically have around 1.5 Mps. Rarely has it exceeded 5.0 .No better than our DSL, but our DSL service is at least reliable at 2.5 to 3.0 Mps. What can i do to optimize the experience? 
great sales force and installation was a terrific experience, by the way.
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Hughesnet fails to deliver speeds as promised

Good morning Doug, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. We appreciate the positive feedback, thank you. Just a note, we don't intend to compete with terrestrial ISPs providing DSL or cable; we just provide internet to those who would otherwise not have any. The inherent latency in satellite technology would prevent us from matching cable-like speeds.There can be a lot of factors affecting speeds, such as having multiple devices on the network, having concurrent users, and engaging in multiple data-intensive activities at once. Having regular PC malware scans can also help ensure there aren't malicious programs on your computer using your internet connection without your knowledge.

If you find that the speeds still seem slow even with one computer directly connected to the HughesNet modem, keep your computer directly to the modem and run some speed tests for us to evaluate. Please run a set of 5 speed tests 3 times over the course of a 24 hour period for us to properly evaluate your speeds. Your patience and cooperation is appreciated, and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

Please also post a case number or the serial number located on the bottom of your modem so we can pull up your account and run remote diagnostics on your site to check the HughesNet equipment and ability to communicate with the satellite. 

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hey Doug

Satellite Internet is a different animal there are many variables that effect up and downloads.  The first step is post your modem serial number (located on the back) so techs can check your system.  You can enter 192.168.0.1 into your browser address bar click on system status and look for red or yellow check marks.  They should be all green.

Might as well get used to it Doug. I have the Pro package (up to 10 Mbps) and continually buffer, buffer, buffer, as we rarely get over 3.5) Calls to tech support are useless as they will 1) have you reboot, 2) when that does no good they will send you off to "pay for" support. They have no email support (only allowing you to select from their drop down boxes).  When we changed to the 5 Mbps system the speeds dropped even further, indicating to me a voluntary setting of speeds, NEVER coming close to the promised "up to".  Someday we will have honesty available to us here in the mountains, for now we have a choice of dial-up or Hughes, and they truly abuse the relationship. DO NOT EXPECT SATISFACTION FROM HUGHES.     starstarstarstarstar   down arrow Download :: 3.5 Mbps 444 kB/s
gradientgradient  My Speed :: 3.5 Mbps

Hughes test:  

TIME arrow down                                                         SIZE       SPEED   USERCONNECTIDTIDWed
Apr 01 2015 @ 7:38:24 amSan Jose CA US  arrow 6.8 MB     3.55 Mbps 444 kB/s

Hi Doug I'm a fellow douped customer of Hughes I can only offer some personal challenges with Hughes and invite you to read my blogs under angry and disappointed. As it has been a living nightmare if within your 30 day advise you to start investigating the many many disappointed clients hope you receive this before they remove good luck. P.S. If you get response from a gentleman by the name of Charles.... BEWARE... He's the sites know it all again good luck..

Gary, Hughes has the ability to throttle my speeds at will, and they will intentionally degrade performance. When I pay for "up to 10 Mbps I consistently get ~ 5, when I pay for "up to 5, I get 2.5).  Obviously they can deliver the "up to" speeds but in this climate (no competition) they choose not to. We look forward to the day when decent speeds (no buffering) are available, until then it is Hughes of dial-up.  Unless someone else knows of an alternative I am unaware of.

Hi Dennis,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We want to address your speed concerns, so please start your own thread and provide a case number or the serial number located on the bottom of your modem so we can pull up your account and get started.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

On a more constructive note that might alleviate your challenge Doug.

See if you have any type of cloud service installed on any of the devices that you connect. In my experience any satellite service, I will also to a degree imply some cell providers in relation to this do not work well with any type of cloud back up etc. The reason for this is that cloud service eat a lot of bandwidth to upload.  You upload speed is directly proportional to your download speed. This is due to the protocols used in all Internet configurations.

I would suggest,if you are not already, to use one device connected to the Hughes product. Pull the power plug out of the wall socket. Please note that pulling the DIN connector may damage your Hughes product. Allow around 30 seconds duration before plugging  your modem to completely come to baseline.  

Use a speed testing service and record the results. 

Next check I would do is try another ethernet cable.

If your results do not improve at that point perhaps the technical team can check if your trunk (I say trunk for simplification purposes) is congested, as such, they might be able to find a less congested trunk for you.

As the norm, this is free advice, just trying to share some solutions I found through trouble shooting triage one my own Hughes product.

Kind Regards,

Tim

Only problem Jezra is I thought HughesNet had done away with the grace period he may be locked in by now.  He did mention DSL in his area can't understand why go with HughesNet maybe he spoke to the sales people that overloaded your gateway.
Highlighted

My speeds are worse than yours, Doug. I posted yesterday and was told that they were normal. I ran the 5/3 tests and the average speed is around 130...nowhere near "up to 10". The only ones who replied were the ones who are not affiliated with Hughes. No rep has answered my concerns. I don't understand that because I have seen countless subscribers with speeds that are twice mine dealt with and their complaints addressed. Since the data allowance isn't enough to cover everything I do, I added smart browsing and was promised that all websites except streaming videos and movies would run at the same speed as when I had data available. At no time was I told that frequency of use would degrade my speed. Good luck in getting your problem solved. I don't see much difference between this forum and chat and phone support - for my issues anyway.